Sponsored

Has anyone installed an 18 exhaust on a 16?

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I finally concluding my GT shopping with a 16 GT. I drove a few newer ones but the 16 deal was a little too good to pass on. I have to say I really liked the 18 non active exhaust for daily driving though. I assume it can be made to fit a 16 but couldn't find anybody who did it. Local sale for 100 that I'm thinking about going for. Does anybody have any advice on trying this?
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Notice anything different with the exhaust tips?

140742BC_vehicle_xl.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I finally concluding my GT shopping with a 16 GT. I drove a few newer ones but the 16 deal was a little too good to pass on. I have to say I really liked the 18 non active exhaust for daily driving though. I assume it can be made to fit a 16 but couldn't find anybody who did it. Local sale for 100 that I'm thinking about going for. Does anybody have any advice on trying this?

It's my understanding that, other than the exhaust tips, the rest of the system is compatible, i.e., uses the same hangers/mounts, etc. When I talked to Solo Performance about using my designed-for-15_to_17 catback on my 2019, they said, sure, just swap out the tips (their 18+ product is just that).

So, you could hang one, but like @DonnieO pointed out, the tips are the issue. So you'd need to do something to your rear fascia - FWIW, there are a couple of folks who have modified their OEM part, basically just cutout the area to accommodate dual tips, one guy used some neat edge material to give it a really nice OEM-like look.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
On the premium you can change out the rear valance to fit the quad tips. Roush makes one although I’m not sure if it’s compatible with your application.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like I'll go pick this up today for 50 bucks and give it a try. I don't mind doing a little bit of fabricating and cutting to the rear Valance since is the premium model

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like I'll go pick this up today for 50 bucks and give it a try. I don't mind doing a little bit of fabricating and cutting to the rear Valance since is the premium model

FFS, I can't find the thread where the guy cutout his stock valance to accomodate a dual tip, but I did save the one part he used (I was seriously thinking about doing it to my '16 before I sold it).

It's this trim product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HVBCBS...olid=23XKQ78GV7DOL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

So after he cutout the plastic, he used that to finish it, looked really nice (some other folks have done it, but not worried about finishing the plastic edge).

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Thanks for all the useful links. Should help me out a lot in spring when I make this happen. Just got home from picking the 18 exhaust.
Sponsored