Sponsored

Has anyone had a 17 GT Power pack 2 and gone to a 3 W/O the Tune kit from Ford?

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Wondering if anyone has ever upgraded to a Power Pack 3 and still had the Power Pack 2 tune ?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Not that I know of, but if your thinking about it save yourself some coin and just get an 18+ manifold. They are way cheaper than the gt 350 manifold and you get the same results, and as a bonus, you can still use your engine cover with the 18+ if you chose to do so. Either way you go, you will need a custom tune, as ford does not sell the power pack tunes alone.

You can get an 18+ manifold, the adapter hoses to keep the IMRC working, and a custom tune for about the cost of the 350 manifold. Word of advise, if you do this the only tuning device that can access the proprietary ford racing tune is HP tuners, so you will need to buy one if you don't already have one.

OP
OP
canyon ed

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
I have all the
Not that I know of, but if your thinking about it save yourself some coin and just get an 18+ manifold. They are way cheaper than the gt 350 manifold and you get the same results, and as a bonus, you can still use your engine cover with the 18+ if you chose to do so. Either way you go, you will need a custom tune, as ford does not sell the power pack tunes alone.

You can get an 18+ manifold, the adapter hoses to keep the IMRC working, and a custom tune for about the cost of the 350 manifold. Word of advise, if you do this the only tuning device that can access the proprietary ford racing tune is HP tuners, so you will need to buy one if you don't already have one.

I have a ll the power pack 3 parts and was wondering how that would interface W/ a power 2 tune?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Find a local tuner who can adjust your power pack 2 tune then just bolt it on and go get it tweaked. Like I said before, make sure you have an HP tuner and a few credits before you go.

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a power pack 2 installed with Ford Cal tune on my 2017 GT... I bought a 2018 intake manifold and waiting for my warranty to expire before install and tune... the reason I bought and had dealer install was to keep the warranty... Ford Performance will not sell the power pack 3 tune even if you buy the vodoo intake... You have to buy the complete power pack 3 to get it...
IMG_20180524_170946635~3.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
canyon ed

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
I have a power pack 2 installed with Ford Cal tune on my 2017 GT... I bought a 2018 intake manifold and waiting for my warranty to expire before install and tune... the reason I bought and had dealer install was to keep the warranty... Ford Performance will not sell the power pack 3 tune even if you buy the vodoo intake... You have to buy the complete power pack 3 to get it...
IMG_20180524_170946635~3.jpg
I have a power pack 2 also I wonder how the car will run If I put all the power pack 3 parts on ?

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a power pack 2 also I wonder how the car will run If I put all the power pack 3 parts on ?
Without the tune? You need a tune... and if you get 3rd party kiss your warranty good-bye... They can see if the car had been tuned before even if you set back to factory defaults... You cannot get Ford tune without buying the power pack 3 entire package... Also you do need a tune, the power pack 2 tune is different than power pack 3... If the 2018 intake is 2% less performance than Voodo intake then bet your money a tune is required... You do not want to run lean with all the extra air... I am not a machanic just by what Ford Performance told me after I asked.. of course I had a 3rd Gen RX-7 and bolted on exhaust and I take, no tune required... So Ford Performance can be blowing me smoke for all I know... At the end if the day it is just not a gamble I am willing take without a tune ;-)

OP
OP
canyon ed

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
Without the tune? You need a tune... and if you get 3rd party kiss your warranty good-bye... They can see if the car had been tuned before even if you set back to factory defaults... You cannot get Ford tune without buying the power pack 3 entire package... Also you do need a tune, the power pack 2 tune is different than power pack 3... If the 2018 intake is 2% less performance than Voodo intake then bet your money a tune is required... You do not want to run lean with all the extra air... I am not a machanic just by what Ford Performance told me after I asked.. of course I had a 3rd Gen RX-7 and bolted on exhaust and I take, no tune required... So Ford Performance can be blowing me smoke for all I know... At the end if the day it is just not a gamble I am willing take without a tune ;-)
Thanks

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is crap you cannot buy the tune with the voodoo intake especially when they can tell you purchased the power pack 2... You lose low end torque but gain HP at the top... I think it will be worth it when the time comes to install 2018 manifold... I am keeping the functionality of the imrc as well... If you go that route get the harness plug n play from hell horse performance ;-)

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Right that has to do with the tune ;-)
but if redline is the only difference between pp2 and pp3, then it should be ok to add manifold to the mix.

But then again, higher redline of pp3 is the only reason I'd consoder pp3 over pp2.

My story on pp2 is short though - excessice pinging, so I removed it after some time.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
but if redline is the only difference between pp2 and pp3, then it should be ok to add manifold to the mix.

But then again, higher redline of pp3 is the only reason I'd consoder pp3 over pp2.

My story on pp2 is short though - excessice pinging, so I removed it after some time.
I have never had my engine ping with the power pack 2. In fact, it feels just like stock with more power. Not one negative side effect but a little louder on cold starts.

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree how did you know you had ping and did you fill with minimum 91 octane? I waited until I was almost empty before filling my tank with 93 octane then I made the appt to have power pack 2 installed... The best benefit of the tune is the no lift shift...

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have never had my engine ping with the power pack 2. In fact, it feels just like stock with more power. Not one negative side effect but a little louder on cold starts.
Same here, no negative effects at all and it will be 3 years in May that I've had it installed.

I've always run 93 in mine the only time it had 87 was from the dealers complimentary full tank after purchase, I've been filling it with 93 since the first fill up.
Sponsored