Sponsored

Has anyone gotten an 18" wheel to fit over the stock rear brakes

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Trying to get a little more tire on the rear has anyone done it keeping the stock rear brakes
Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Confused - why are you talking about an 18" rim if you have 19" rims already?

OP
OP
mech94

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Stock GT wheels (non PP cars) come with 18" x 8" rims from the factory and typically have a 235/50R18 tire. So I would guess what do you mean by "stock brakes". If they're the non-performance pack rear calipers they only sport a single piston and fit on 13" rotors. They'll obviously fit fine in an 18" rim or I wouldn't have made it out of the dealership parking lot.

The minimum for the PP upgrade or kits from ford performance, etc. require at least a 19" rim.
I have a gt350

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
I have a gt350
Sorry I replied then saw where you posted.

You have 19" rims already so what gives? Why would you consider 18"s?

OP
OP
mech94

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Confused - why are you talking about an 18" rim if you have 19" rims already?
looking at forgeline gs1r beadlocks and would like to run an 18 drag radial

Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Trying to get a little more tire on the rear has anyone done it keeping the stock rear brakes
Ok, so here's the deal on wheels. If you look at a road wheel with no tire on, there's a big groove just inside the front face. It's there to make room for tires to fit over the outer flange during mounting.

If the wheel is wide enough, that flange and the groove can be far enough out from the mounting face that the barrel can widen out to fit over a large brake setup. However, Ford has put the rear rim 62 mm inboard, so there's a risk that a rim that's far enough out to fit will cause the tire to hit the fender. It's possible a two or three-piece wheel could work. You don't need the groove if you can disassemble the wheel to put the tire on it.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I have seen 18" Signature wheels on the rear of both 350's and 500's. Not sure about Forgeline, but an 18" can be done.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm pretty sure all the 18in wheels I've seen clear the rears - only the front calipers need to be swapped out to fit 18s. I've personally seen Signature, Forgline, Apex, and Forgestar 18s on GT350s (running the AP Racing front brakes).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm pretty sure all the 18in wheels I've seen clear the rears - only the front calipers need to be swapped out to fit 18s. I've personally seen Signature, Forgline, Apex, and Forgestar 18s on GT350s (running the AP Racing front brakes).
That's great - were they running the AP rears too or factory rears? The Brembo calipers tend to be taller than aftermarket, so there's more space. Most of the aftermarket rear kits dispense with the handbrake, though. I've got RB rear calipers on mine and there's a lot more clearance than the factory parts. (Plus, the handbrake still works and I get to run F40-shape pads, which are more than double the size of the factory pads, there's a lot more pad types available and they're cheaper too...)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That's great - were they running the AP rears too or factory rears? The Brembo calipers tend to be taller than aftermarket, so there's more space. Most of the aftermarket rear kits dispense with the handbrake, though. I've got RB rear calipers on mine and there's a lot more clearance than the factory parts. (Plus, the handbrake still works and I get to run F40-shape pads, which are more than double the size of the factory pads, there's a lot more pad types available and they're cheaper too...)
All the ones I've seen were using the factory brakes in the rear