Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
This is a Mustang forum... and there' going to be lots more threads about EV's taking over and about Muscle (?) car EV's. Some may go that way, personal choice. I'm a very happy Mustang owner (we can gripe amongst ourselves) because of the driving experience my GT PP gives me. First the feeling of driving a V8 Pony car, second the sound of the car, third the aesthetics of the car, more so the total visceral experience of blasting down a road (or track) in Sport mode can't be replicated with an EV. If I just wanted speed over anything I could of bought some other car maybe a little more money for better top end and 0-60 specs. If I hadn't been raising a family and taking care of everyone I would of bought a S197 Mustang as I loved those too. It's the total experience that makes it the sports car we wanted, for many of us.

* (I know some here love the whole Mustang experience, others just mildly attached, so be it.)
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
This is a Mustang forum... and there' going to be lots more threads about EV's taking over and about Muscle (?) car EV's. Some may go that way, personal choice. I'm a very happy Mustang owner (we can gripe amongst ourselves) because of the driving experience my GT PP gives me. First the feeling of driving a V8 Pony car, second the sound of the car, third the aesthetics of the car, more so the total visceral experience of blasting down a road (or track) in Sport mode can't be replicated with an EV. If I just wanted speed over anything I could of bought some other car maybe a little more money for better top end and 0-60 specs. If I hadn't been raising a family and taking care of everyone I would of bought a S197 Mustang as I loved those too. It's the total experience that makes it the sports car we wanted, for many of us.

* (I know some here love the whole Mustang experience, others just mildly attached, so be it.)
Hello; I like your post. There are likely several ways to look at transportation from basic no-frills get from A to B to exotic and impractical dream cars. Some depends on budget. Some depends on personal passions. Some folks must have a vehicle for work. Many need one to get to work.

I can see an EV as a basic A to B transportation choice. An EV might fit for those who like the newest tech. I get the quick off the line acceleration of an electric motor is a thing for many. But like you an EV is not the sort of sports car I imagine. What got me looking at the Mustang again was the IRS incorporated back in 2016. That seemed a big positive.

I pay attention and have some notions. If the EV and "green" energy push would truly save the planet, then I could be more accepting. However the EV tech and potential is showing to be like most things in existence. Not all good nor all bad. Problem being the hype behind the current push to ban ICE and all. Perhaps the better proof so far has been the Volvo Study I linked a while back. That study was limited to comparing an EV to an ICE and showed some sobering information. Two identical cars. One and EV. The other an ICE. The study showed that he EV must be driven something like 68,000 miles before it starts to break even with the ICE. ( I can link the study if any wish to see it again.)

I know some will make fun of my old car and truck. A 2001 car and a 2004 truck. A way I look at it is by doing good maintenance on these two vehicles thereby keeping them in service I then avoid the construction impact of building a new vehicle to replace them. Hard to figure, but I suspect my overall impact with these two ICE vehicles may not be much if any greater than if they were both EV's of the same age. An EV might match the car but not likely the pickup.

My plan was to have a "fun" car. The pandemic, shutdowns, shortages and now the inflation have put a hold on that hunt. Price is a problem but also finding a car. I am too old to consider paying above MSRP on a new car. Those with older cars have jacked up the prices. Maybe with time I will have a last fun car.
My apologies. Not sure what the overall point of this post ought to be. Perhaps just that I like that you and others have fun cars to drive.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What got me looking at the Mustang again was the IRS incorporated back in 2016. That seemed a big positive.
The IRS was incorporated on the 6th Gen Mustang starting with the 2015 model year.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The IRS was incorporated on the 6th Gen Mustang starting with the 2015 model year.
Hello; OK, I first learned of it in 2016. I had known of add-on IRS in some earlier SVT years.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The Electric Vehicle Revolution Is Here Thanks to the Forever Battery (msn.com)

Hello; Interesting read. If claims are true could be a turning point for EV's. Basically, a solid-state battery tech. The claim appears to hinge on a fix for one of the major flaws in the solid electrolyte. It is called a dendrite which are cracks that form as the battery charges and discharges eventually shorting out the battery. Reminded me of an issue with the old-style distributor points. After many hundreds of thousands of openings and closing of the points to fire the spark plugs a transfer of material from one point to the other would occur.
When the points open and close there is a tiny arc (spark) of electricity between the points. eventually a small "tit" of conductive material builds up on one point. Eventually two things happen. One is the gap between the points becomes effectively smaller which affects the timing. If that tit is not removed, it can build up to the point the car will not run. I still have my points files around. I used as points file to remove that buildup from time to time.

So fixing the dendrites in the solid medium is a big deal. Sounds like it could be the solution to range anxiety and perhaps quick charging. Needs to be proven.

Another thing I noted is there seemed to be a stock market angle to the story. I do hope the story is not an attempt to sell stocks.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's the questions that exist and the "big picture" of which no one is looking forward:

What is any Dealership or Private Party going to lay out for a used EV? I'm not talking about an EV that is 1 year old, I'm talking about an EV that is say approx. 3-5 years old, or say approaching 1/2 to 3/4 into its battery life expectancy?

Is any Dealership or Private Party going to fork out the same $$$$ for an EV, fully knowing that 1) it's battery life is approaching a critical segment where a warranty is no longer going to cover its cost of replacement OR 2) where that party doesn't know if that EV was properly charged/discharged/maintained during its prior ownership....?

Just think about it.... if I buy a $300 EV lawnmower, use it for 2-3 years, and now list it for sale, are you going to pay me close to half of what it cost retail - fully knowing that 1) it's battery is nearing a depleted level, 2) that a proper factory non-generic replacement battery is roughly $150+ and 3) don't know if I always properly maintained the battery?

---

Here's another few thoughts too:
If one purchases an EV vehicle from any major Auto Manufacturer - we'll call it Brand A for all intentional purposes and say now has an interest in another EV a few months or year down the road (Brand B), will they now have to get stationary home charging stations uplifted and include with the trade?

Will EV owners get any additional "tax credits" in the future or is it a ploy for now just to get an ICE owner to convert to EV as an incentive, then later there's no more credits?

Will the cost to replace and R&R an automotive EV battery ever be cost efficient for an EV owner where there is NO warranty coverage? Most current EVs are skateboards where the battery is the entire floor pan. To replace isn't going to be like popping your hood and pulling out in 10 minutes. I would imagine service shops would need specialized equipment to perform such an EV battery R&R - and labor rates to do so will be triple of current labor rates.

---
Come back to this thread in another 2-3 years and read this response - because now is the time to really absorb the BIG PICTURE and prediction as to what will happen with automotive EV's... that no one now is paying any attention to at all... Automotive EV's will become as disposable as your current EV lawn mowers/weed whackers/power tools and will be a major landfill issue as folks dispose of them quicker than any ICE vehicle.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As an owner and curator of more than one vehicle built more than 50 years ago, I just don't see the throwaway BEV as any long term solution.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; This may be apples and oranges as i may not understand the details. Currently I read threads about Mustang owners having issues of various sorts with "tunes". I do get what a tune is, such is not a mystery. What seems to be the issues are the ways the codes do not always work as expected.
Well, the codes/tunes in the case of this forum are for Mustangs and even among a common model there are issues. What strikes me as a future problem is how things change in the operating systems of computers over time.

I have always run Windows computers. I know there use to be problems trying to use Mac software on a Windows machine. That may be similar to a Tesla compared to a Ford EV. Different platforms entirely.

However, within the same Windows platforms I have had compatibility issues. Some of my oldest software no longer works on my current Windows 10 computer. Back around 20 years ago I created some work material in a WORD program current at the time. Back some months ago I wanted to open up one of those old documents (a scientific method worksheet) The file is still saved but I cannot get it to work on my new computer with the current WORD program.

Say I have a BEV of enough age to need a new battery pack and I do pay to have one installed. So my old EV has a fresh power supply. Then some other operating system component fails. I can see how replacement battery packs may be around, but will the other components be replaceable?
I have told this tale before. My neighbor has an early Ford hybrid SUV. Her Hybrid Ford no longer does the regenerative charging when braking. Apparently there are no replacement parts available from Ford at all. May have been that particular electronic part was prone to failure and all the stock is used up with no aftermarket supply. Ford must have moved on in the way the tech is applied in newer versions of their hybrids so no backward compatibility.

I guess what i am driving at is the battery pack issue is often discussed but not the other components. I figure that like computers, the operating electronics of EV's will be constantly changing. Perhaps making an EV useless because one or two minor components fail and cannot be had.

Many years ago I bought a HD Samsung CRT TV. It was a heavy beast but had a great picture. After about 3-4 years it failed. I hauled it to a repair shop. Seems one of the boards was prone to fail and had indeed failed. There were no more to be had. So, an otherwise fine TV had to be scrapped for lack of a $30 circuit board. I replaced that Tv with a Samsung plasma which has been going strong for nearly 12 years.

Reactions: dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Will the cost to replace and R&R an automotive EV battery ever be cost efficient for an EV owner where there is NO warranty coverage? Most current EVs are skateboards where the battery is the entire floor pan. To replace isn't going to be like popping your hood and pulling out in 10 minutes. I would imagine service shops would need specialized equipment to perform such an EV battery R&R - and labor rates to do so will be triple of current labor rates.
Standardization in cell size and maintenance is possible although difficult to get by right on from the beginning. I suppose it's happening one way or another but can't see it (and believe in it) yet. I am glad auto manufacturers do support their products way longer than a few years like it is with Android or Apple phones.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Standardization in cell size and maintenance is possible although difficult to get by right on from the beginning. I suppose it's happening one way or another but can't see it (and believe in it) yet. I am glad auto manufacturers do support their products way longer than a few years like it is with Android or Apple phones.
Hello; Are you old enough to recall the Beta tape and VHS tape wars?

Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Hello; Are you old enough to recall the Beta tape and VHS tape wars?

not that old but I watched a documentary and see why you mention it. Iirc beta was made by Sony and they were too stuborn to adapt to the consumer demands or at least follow up on innovative and better ideas of their competitors, so they failed. I think you mean that this could equally happen in terms of the standard that we might see evolving.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
not that old but I watched a documentary and see why you mention it. Iirc beta was made by Sony and they were too stuborn to adapt to the consumer demands or at least follow up on innovative and better ideas of their competitors, so they failed. I think you mean that this could equally happen in terms of the standard that we might see evolving.
Hello; Yes Sony. I knew a fellow with a beta machine. At first he was happy. Later on hoe could not get new movies. Money was tight for me at the time so i did not get either. I had VHS eventually like everyone else.

Yes I suspect some aspects of batteries will wind up universal. Which one will be the question. I guess if each make stays in business then their proprietary formats can stay in production. I do not yet have a clue which combination of tech and mechanical setup will have that edge which tips the scales.

To be truthful I am similarly concerned with ICE vehicles loaded up with the available tech. Two areas. One is how things like bumpers and glass can total or come close to it in a mild collision. The other is what a still nice vehicle with a few years on it will fare when it need some particular tech.
A decade of two ago a friend bought a used MB 1980's sedan. I could help with the mechanicals alright but some of the luxury features we never got fixed. So my concern is not just about EV's, but it seems likely they will go thru some evolutions.
The builders who solve the charge and range issues will win. ( That is if it is affordable.)

Reactions: dx2

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)