Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
my understanding Lean Burn doesn't work with CAT's that require 14.7:1 (or thereabouts) to work properly. Means a CAT does fck all when the vehicle is accelerating. So goes my understanding

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
my understanding Lean Burn doesn't work with CAT's that require 14.7:1 (or thereabouts) to work properly. Means a CAT does fck all when the vehicle is accelerating. So goes my understanding
Hello; My take has been the cats are like a stove to burn any excess fuel left over after combustion in the engine cylinder. They have to burn that excess fuel at high enough temperatures to prevent specific sorts of tailpipe emissions.
Had a friend ignore his O2 sensors and partly melt a cat on a Toyota truck. Cost him a lot more than new O2 sensors.

Anyway, if the combustion is more total in the engine at lean conditions that might reduce or eliminate the need for traditional cats. Maybe only needed at cold startups or more rare rich conditions?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
What happens when millions of electric car batteries get old? (msn.com)
Quotes from the link;
“A proposal to make the vehicle manufacturer responsible for most, if not all, batteries at their end of life — including covering recycling costs — didn’t muster a majority vote, although the Legislature could consider taking up such a bill.”

“An environmental handling fee, to be collected at the time of vehicle purchase, was also rejected.”

Hello; My comments. The above link is about a study done recently. If i read correctly the study took over two years. The crux of the matter seems to be the question of what happens to the EV batteries at end of life.
As with some many other things surrounding the EV future this is another problem with a possible "some day" in the future solution. A real problem building up with no actual solution in place as yet. Yes, there is a mention of the EV batteries being used to store solar energy but also mentioned is that use will have a limited lifetime of use. Maybe ten years or so. So even with a second or third use there will be an end to the useful life of a battery pack.

I posted a while back a study by Volvo comparing ICE and EV in terms of pollution ( CO2 included) That study on it's own refutes much of the claims of EV's being a save the planet solution.

This end of life of the batteries ought, to my thinking, be one of the issues already worked out before mandating and legislating the end of new ICE sales. The quotes I include above from the article are the more telling. Just kick the battery end life issue down the road same as is done for so many other pressing issues. It appears possible we will have mountains of these old batteries stacked somewhere.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Publicly Charging EVs in Ohio Wasn’t All That Cheap and Raised More Questions | Car Bibles

Hello; Just read the above link. It is about a test done by a person who has to charge an EV at public/commercial chargers. No home charging at all. The author rents an apartment and writes articles.

I selected two quotes from the article. There is a lot more information in the article. I think the story is currently relatable as the ICE fuel price was $3.90/ gallon when written.

“After tallying up the costs of running a few EVs around Ohio I should let you know something important here: I paid more to drive electric cars than I would have to use any of my subcompact gas-powered cars.”

“My research showed me that DC fast chargers can induce incredible demand; 20 cars using DC fast charging at once could equal the output of 1,500 homes. That’s more than the number of houses in my little suburban Ohio hamlet.”

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Public fast chargers are going to cost much more per kWH than if the same level of charge was done at home. As more EVs are in use, my prediction is even the people charging at home will be charged more for power pumped into an EV vs pumped into the house. In the future, EV owners may have to put in a separate power meter for EV changing only, and the EV charging power will cost more and be taxed more than the power for the rest of the house. You think anyone that wants your money is going to allow EV owners to get by cheap forever ... hardly.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Why worry about something you can't control? The politicians are heavily invested in the green energy sector so those currently running the country are pushing it to the limit. Get those garage queens out and live life.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thread, there ain't shit supporting the RC cars. The Hero trucks can't help the idiots. Wind power can't support calli, rolling blackouts. Any natural disaster, powered gets knock out, they're stuck in what's left of the basement, sitting ducks. No cell no car, Yup sounds like one hell of a plan.

So typical putting the horse before the cart. But then again think about less traffic for the rest of us.

And the lemmings left with worrying about the charge, shit they already have that problem with the cell... LMAO

Best TV hype seen yet, campers ruffing it with all the electronic shit plugged into the car.

Got to love this country really has a great sense of humor.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Went to N C mountains last week. Hardly a service station around, let alone a charging station!!
Hello; a few months or years ago I was heavy into the EV vs ICE discussion in a thread on here. I checked and the closest publicly accessible chargers were 50+ miles away. I have not checked in a while.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Funny thread, there ain't shit supporting the RC cars. The Hero trucks can't help the idiots. Wind power can't support calli, rolling blackouts. Any natural disaster, powered gets knock out, they're stuck in what's left of the basement, sitting ducks. No cell no car, Yup sounds like one hell of a plan.

So typical putting the horse before the cart. But then again think about less traffic for the rest of us.

And the lemmings left with worrying about the charge, shit they already have that problem with the cell... LMAO

Best TV hype seen yet, campers ruffing it with all the electronic shit plugged into the car.

Got to love this country really has a great sense of humor.
Hello; I have seen that commercial and wondered how long a cars battery pack can last with all the gadgets hooked up.

But cart before the horse is a good way to put it. There is little doubt we will draw down crude oil reserves to a point where additional recovery is problematic and daily supplies reduced. That some sort of other energy for mass transit will be needed.
There is a sensible way to go about it and there is the way it is currently being done.
I have paragraphs of detail but will not get into it right now. I just got thru fighting 20+ year old bolts on an exhaust system. I actually got to top release but two others eventually just broke off.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Public fast chargers are going to cost much more per kWH than if the same level of charge was done at home. As more EVs are in use, my prediction is even the people charging at home will be charged more for power pumped into an EV vs pumped into the house. In the future, EV owners may have to put in a separate power meter for EV changing only, and the EV charging power will cost more and be taxed more than the power for the rest of the house. You think anyone that wants your money is going to allow EV owners to get by cheap forever ... hardly.

To be frank a lot of people I know here in Cali, where a majority of EV owners are have solar. I know 5 people who have a Tesla and one with a Mach-E. So out of the 6, 5 have solar in their homes. However, I agree with your point.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
How does that work with the solar panels and working during the day? Are they charging their cars(wfh) or does their utilities allow grid connection?

Massively reduced electric bills. Unused killowatts are bought from the homeowner. You shouldn't have to charge your car at work. Requires proper planning though.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
How does that work with the solar panels and working during the day? Are they charging their cars(wfh) or does their utilities allow grid connection?
Hello; They could have two EV's the way i have extra batteries for my cordless hand tools. Have one charging for the next day's use while using one.

(Note - that was a jab at the just buy a Hybrid or EV if you cannot afford gasoline notion.)
Sponsored