Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Concrete is only marginally higher in cost, and would SAVE money over time vs. Asphalt. Asphalt costs about $3 a sq ft, Concrete about $5 a sq. Concrete lasts 10 times longer. Simple math tells you it costs less as a solution.
Incorrect. Again, never looking past the end of the nose...

It also takes 3 times the amount of work to lay concrete (labor, time, equipment, etc). There is no savings. If there was, we'd be doing it already. Most major highways were concrete when originally built...
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Regarding your restaurant comment:
They are a lot of industries that have suffered under the Covid epidemic, from airlines to cruises to amusement parks, etc
Which rules or regulations are you holding responsible for the restaurant industry issues?
Hello; Not to sidetrack about specific rules but the point being the rules were so often changed. The restaurant owner, the cruise lines, the amusement parks would comply with one set of rules at great expense only to have some new obstacle thrown at them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
come on guys, the answer is obvious - it's because Big Oil wants it that way. Same reason we don't have 95MPG vehicles. :)

^^^ it's a damn joke, people

They are currently rebuilding the first 15 miles of I-66 here in DC. Think I-90/94 in Chicago - carries tremendous traffic in and out of downtown. Being widened from 6 lanes to 10 or 12 with hard separation between local and bypass/HOV/Toll traffic like they sorta did for I-270 north of town.

They don't appear to be using concrete.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Hello; Not to sidetrack about specific rules but the point being the rules were so often changed. The restaurant owner, the cruise lines, the amusement parks would comply with one set of rules at great expense only to have some new obstacle thrown at them.
So basically you can’t even pinpoint a single rule…
As for rules changing, to me that show flexibility since COVID was evolving and changing as well than our understanding of it as well than the availability of vaccines and different variants
Kind of make sense that rules needed to change too
Problem with your type of post it is a vague and far reaching complaint without any specific
How do we know if a rule or regulations was bad if you can’t even name it …. Seriously?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So basically you can’t even pinpoint a single rule…
As for rules changing, to me that show flexibility since COVID was evolving and changing as well than our understanding of it as well than the availability of vaccines and different variants
Kind of make sense that rules needed to change too
Problem with your type of post it is a vague and far reaching complaint without any specific
How do we know if a rule or regulations was bad if you can’t even name it …. Seriously?
Hello; I ask a very specific question about what will be "green" enough to pave roads if all fossil fuels are banned from use. Let's stick to that for now. The resturant thing was meant to be an example of how unelected officals in these can and do make rules. A side track. We can get back to that topic another time or you can keep on by yourself.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There will never be a complete ban of the use of oil refined materials for everything made of them. And I highly doubt there will be a complete ban of using products produced from oil refining used in road paving. Maybe in 30 years everyone will have an off-road EV and all there will be is dirt trails all over the country. 😂

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe in 30 years everyone will have an off-road EV and all there will be is dirt trails all over the country. 😂
it'll be the height of Getting back to Nature, the ultimate Green-ness. Until soil erosion pollutes the watershed, broken car bits litter the roadside, and it takes 4x longer to get from Point A to B.

But hey, Progress, right?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Global Warming Has Concrete Problem When It Comes to CO2 — ecoRI News

“The carbon dioxide emissions from the production of concrete are so high that if concrete were a country, it would be the third-largest emitter of CO2 behind China and the United States.”

“When heated, the calcium carbonate in limestone breaks into calcium oxide and carbon dioxide, which is released into the air. The calcium oxide is ground with limestone and gypsum to make cement.”

“Half of the CO2 emissions in the production of concrete come from the reaction that breaks up the calcium carbonate and the other half from the fossil fuels required to heat the kilns and transport the materials.”

“Let’s start by calculating the carbon dioxide released by the concrete in a single lane of an interstate highway.”

“According to the Federal Highway Administration, an interstate lane is 11 inches thick and 12 feet wide. Therefore, the volume of concrete in a mile (5,280 feet) of concrete is: 11/12 x 12 x 5,280 = 58,080 cubic feet.”

“One cubic foot of concrete weighs 150 pounds, so the concrete in a mile of interstate lane weighs: 58,080 x 150 = 8.7 million pounds.”

“The National Ready Mixed Concrete Association says that, during production, each pound of concrete releases 0.93 pounds of carbon dioxide. Therefore, the CO2 released in the construction of a mile of a single interstate lane is: 0.93 x 8.7 million = 8.1 million pounds of carbon dioxide.”

Hello my comments; Found some numbers for CO2 emissions from concrete which is a big part of the question I posted earlier today. That using an imaginary notion of concrete being measured by total emission like a country it will fall into third place.
I knew there was a lot of energy used to heat the ingredients and may have some time in the past known about how the process of making cement also releases CO2 on top of the CO2 from the burning of fossil fuels.
I do not know how all paved roads are made, just that concrete and asphalt are the types i see anywhere I go. I watch bicycle racing and know some very old roads were paved with paving stones. I think back in the day the track at Indianapolis was paved with bricks. I think there is still a yard of bricks in the track surface.
The romans used paving stones a ways back.

I found a site saying concrete can last twice as long as asphalt. Hard to patch tho.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
There will never be a complete ban of the use of oil refined materials for everything made of them. And I highly doubt there will be a complete ban of using products produced from oil refining used in road paving. Maybe in 30 years everyone will have an off-road EV and all there will be is dirt trails all over the country. 😂
To start there is no viable alternative for airplanes anytime in the near future. The absolute earliest I have seen is 2040-2050 and requires lifting body planes to be developed. Plus there are probably numerous special use vehicles were the high energy density and quick refueling is required. ICE cars will be sold new until at least 2030-35 (and that's if those dates don't get pushed back) You'll have ICE vehicles in service for another 20 years past that. So another 2050ish range drop dead date.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Man, Your pretty much going to have to HUG A TREE a Day, walk around with a Solar Panel on Your back to charge your iPhone while carrying a White Flag around after this Post. Yikes!!. Everyone Has the Freedom to have their own Opinion, Even if others don't seem to like. Maybe phrase it a little less harshly. Just Saying LOL

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I cannot picture a ban on asphalt paving any time soon. But just because i cannot picture it does not mean much. A number of things i could not picture just a few years ago have happened. Not to be another side track and only as an example is the fact currently someone born male can compete directly with people born female in some high school and college sports. I just do not know how far these agendas will go.

I never pictured the sale of new ICE vehicles being banned. Always thought if fuel prices got high enough or the EV's prices got competitive then having an EV or hybrid might make sense. On top of the mandates coming along fuel prices are artificially being pushed up.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
On top of the mandates coming along fuel prices are artificially being pushed up.
Proof? Or just "feelings"?

What's the prices of fuel in the rest of the world going ... certainly not going down I bet.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
So with your logic, if only elected officials can make rules and regulations, we will need millions more politicians and countless more elections with all the extra bureaucracy to run it and extra cost , and we will end up with people that can’t be fired because they are elected…..don’t seems to be a better solution to what we have now
You don't get it and never will, your location explains this.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Well. I hate to be Debby downer but this is the last mustang I will own. Won’t get rid of it but my next car needs to haul rather than haul ass. Good thing this one is A. An automatic. B. Fast. When I get kicked out of test and tune at the strip I’m done :). Less than A second away.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Concrete is only marginally higher in cost, and would SAVE money over time vs. Asphalt. Asphalt costs about $3 a sq ft, Concrete about $5 a sq. Concrete lasts 10 times longer. Simple math tells you it costs less as a solution.
are those Chicago prices? here asphalt is about $60 or more a square yard depending on thickness and concrete doesn’t last for shit without sinking. There is very l little concrete unless it’s for ADA routes.

we actually melt tires into our asphalt here to reduce road noise.

Concrete vs asphalt depends on location.
Sponsored

Last edited: