Sponsored

Has anyone found a way to quiet the whine on the Mt82?

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm interested to hear what you discover.
I have a 2020 GT and my mt-82 also whines in 1-3. Dead silent in 4-6. Its done it for as long as I can remember. I still have the stock clutch and stock fluid. I never really gave it much concern since it shifts perfectly. Just kind of figured it was something the mt-82 does
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm interested to hear what you discover.
I have a 2020 GT and my mt-82 also whines in 1-3. Deal silent in 4-6. Its done it for as long as I can remember. I still have the stock clutch and stock fluid. I never really gave it much concern since it shifts perfectly. Just kind of figured it was something the mt-82 does
It being gear specific is the giveaway that it's the trans. You use those gears the most so it would make sense they wear faster but for you I think it's abnormal if you are stock. The whine is pretty common. Not as much as the BBQ tick but there's lots of videos on YouTube with people trying to fix the whine. Fluid was a hail Mary. I think the sound deadening might not be that effective too it's like the sound is transferring through the shifter.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm not too concerned about it, its under warranty and if it fails it fails. They'll just have to fix it.
But if a simple fluid change will quiet it down I'd be game. Seems people have mixed results with that from what I've heard

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I thought transmission whine meant throw out bearing….does the sound clutch in or out.
The throwout bearing usually whines when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Putting an ass load of cut up memory foam pillow between the transmission and the tunnel all the way from the bell housing to the shifter made no difference. I might try draining and refilling completely with a heavier fluid instead of the 30% mix I went with before because that seemed to at least do something. At this point I'm pretty certain the sound resonates through the shifter. All the bolts are tight and it's only gears 1-3 under load. The whine starts quiet then gets louder then goes away past 4k rpm. I'm not sure what else I could try as far as eliminating this resonance as the shifter bolts to the trans mission metal to metal. I'm not talking about the upper arm since that has a rubber Bushing. The shift piece that has the shift knob on it locks in to a plastic cup at the bottom in fact alot to the internals of the shifter are plastic.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I replaced the trans fluid with 100% Lucas oil 75w140. The whining is a lot quieter. Maybe a 50% reduction in noise. Enough that having the ac on or the exhaust in normal mode and I can't really hear it. I don't know the long term effects of using this oil but it's driving and shifting fine.
Sponsored