Sponsored

Has anyone found a way to quiet the whine on the Mt82?

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
2020 Mustang GT. It has been whining for months now in 1-3 only when accelersting I want to trade in the car but I am afraid I will get crucified because of the whining. It is audible even with music at a low volume and exhaust valves opened. I changed the stock fluid out to bg synchro 6 months ago then drove it for a few months and it started whining. I topped it up and that made no difference. live in a hot climate so I was thinking I could try a heavier fluid for either 25-50% of the capacity. If it's the gears I know it can't be fixed but it shifts fine I just want to quiet the noise down. Hell I even thought about trying to add sound deadening to the transmission tunnel.
Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I can't say for certain as I don't have one, however, I believe I recall a couple people talking about swapping their fluid over to the BG stuff and I think one other type and people were having less/no issues afterwards.
I can say that I've used BG stuff fairly often on vehicles that get serviced where I work and their products do work amazingly well as much as people like to call out snake oil on certain things. Their engine performance restoration stuff is one of the best things I've seen.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I can't say for certain as I don't have one, however, I believe I recall a couple people talking about swapping their fluid over to the BG stuff and I think one other type and people were having less/no issues afterwards.
I can say that I've used BG stuff fairly often on vehicles that get serviced where I work and their products do work amazingly well as much as people like to call out snake oil on certain things. Their engine performance restoration stuff is one of the best things I've seen.
It already has bg in it

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I should also mention the car was previously tuned and it's back to stock but it does have a mcleod clutch in it so I'm pretty sure any warranty work would be immediately vetoed

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd put the stock fluid back in, but the damage might already be done. I'd be tempted to put a heavier weight fluid in, but that could cause additional problems.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I thought transmission whine meant throw out bearing….does the sound clutch in or out.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I thought transmission whine meant throw out bearing….does the sound clutch in or out.
I know I've had a transmission whine (in my '65 Ford 250) that went away when I filled the transmission with lube. Definitely a throw out bearing can make noise, but it won't care what gear you are in.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Its only in gear 1-3 under acceleration so if I pushed the clutch in that would stop the acceleration and there would be no noise.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
details matter when trying to solve a problem for something we can’t see or hear. That might be A characteristic of the clutch that we knew nothing about till now.
OH I thought you were talking about it being tuned. I don't think it's the clutch. I've never heard a clutch whine. Could the clutch being more aggressive have caused faster wear to the trans? Yes but it's the same situation either way. I will try a heavier oil adding about half a quart and see if there is any difference if not I'll put the stock fluid back in it.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Filled about a third with some Lucas oil 75w140. Shifts fine still but it is still warm here. Noise is maybe a little less noticeable. I will try adding some sound deadening to the tunnel or on top of the transmission and see if that does anything.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I won`t worry about selling it with that noise being present. Dealerships/companies who buy cars will overlook something like that. Or just dump it on Carvana there inspection process is a joke. Sold 2 cars to them these past few years.
Sponsored