Sponsored

Has anyone attempted to swap a 10-speed GT’s Coyote for a Voodoo?

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Same thing for catless headers and a million other mods they have to put a warning label on for legal purposes.
Soooo... would I get a passing inspection sticker from the NJ DMV with it or no? :p
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I'd say yes, they still only do OBD2 plug in right? Worst case scenario you can flash a shitty tune and drive on it for a week. If you're doing catless headers you should have your own tuner. I'm sure there's "emmisions tunes" for most normal setups.
I have zero mods on my 19 GT as of writing this. I’m not sure what they check via the OBD2 plug, but, yes, that’s all they do beyond checking all the lights, wipers (that the motor works), and eyeballing the tires.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Think about this. How much crap are you going to take by putting an A10 in a GT350? A bet a whole bunch. Now put a Voodoo in a GT. Bet most people will think it’s pretty cool.
Hopefully people here are still modding their car the way they want, and not because of what other people might think of it...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hopefully people here are still modding their car the way they want, and not because of what other people might think of it...
Yes, of course, but in this hobby what others think is also very important. Check the number of threads about wanting to get people's opinions. There are mods that many of us would consider to be sacrilegious. Putting an automatic transmission into a Shelby GT350 would be one of them. On the other hand a Voodoo in a regular S550 would not. Just MHO.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Yes, of course, but in this hobby what others think is also very important. Check the number of threads about wanting to get people's opinions. There are mods that many of us would consider to be sacrilegious. Putting an automatic transmission into a Shelby GT350 would be one of them. On the other hand a Voodoo in a regular S550 would not. Just MHO.
Hmmm . I have a “spare”voodoo” I just rebuilt- swapped the rods and some minor head work - valve springs /head studs and building another one ... can’t have too many spares .

I think it would be difficult to make it work with the A10 . Ford racing sells a control pack for the A10 but that’s for pairing it with a Gen3 coyote .

If anyone can figure how.... I also have a “spare “ A10 for my 18 .
Some one donate a roller - fox body (and some turbos ) and may be we can build this “Frankenstein “ .
Lol

Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
US shift is still planning on introducing a controller to put an A10 in your vehicle of choice. Been in touch with them every step of the way.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya but it’d be a cold day in hell before I did something to my car that wasn’t for me, only
me and nothing but me, so help me God. I tend to stay away from those opinion threads because I tend to go on the offensive. Don’t build your car based on other people’s opinions of what is right, wrong or best. Just old school I guess.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
US shift is still plan I g on introducing a controller to put an A10 in your vehicle of choice. Been in touch with them every step of the way.
Am type of ETA ?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As you know due to the different firing order of the Voodoo , a coyote ECU won’t work .
But if you are building this “monster” stand alone unit may be the way to go .
Hmmm . I may already have a roller .
Going to try one more time to get my 2015 GT with 3.2 KB and Magnum XL in to the 9’s then I am turning it into a race car .
How about a Voodoo/Turbo’s and a TH400 ?
LOL

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As you know due to the different firing order of the Voodoo , a coyote ECU won’t work .
Not seeing that as being a significant problem at all. Should be able to rewire the Voodoo's injectors and spark plugs to suit the Coyote's ECU. The ECU doesn't care where those things are physically located.

Dealing with knock sensing might be a whole 'nother story, though.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, of course, but in this hobby what others think is also very important. Check the number of threads about wanting to get people's opinions.
That's more a matter of personality than anything specific to the car hobby. Perhaps when approval by the herd takes on too much importance and individual thoughts and one's own opinions not enough.

There are mods that many of us would consider to be sacrilegious. Putting an automatic transmission into a Shelby GT350 would be one of them. On the other hand a Voodoo in a regular S550 would not. Just MHO.
As an opinion for an individual to hold, that's fine. For it to be held up as an absolute universal truth that everybody has to hold as their own, no.

As far as this specific mod is concerned, it's not something I'd presently consider doing (which shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody on this or any other forum that I belong to). But under different circumstances, assuming that the A10's internals could withstand the revs and FPC vibration (and for me anyway, that the automatic shifting could be sent off on permanent vacation), maybe it wouldn't be as knee-jerk sacrilegious as it sounds. No particularly worse than swapping an LS engine into a Mustang (not exactly unknown), in some respects maybe not as bad.

Norm

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not seeing that as being a significant problem at all. Should be able to rewire the Voodoo's injectors and spark plugs to suit the Coyote's ECU. The ECU doesn't care where those things are physically located.

Dealing with knock sensing might be a whole 'nother story, though.

Norm
Is that what happens when a cross plane motor is swapped in to a GT 350 ?
I was told the ECU had to be “repinned” .

I had considered doing that when my Voodoo went down and had a 5.2 Cross plane motor on hand but my Ford tech had no idea what I was talking about .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is that what happens when a cross plane motor is swapped in to a GT 350 ?
I was told the ECU had to be “repinned” .
I wasn't aware that CPC engines had been swapped into GT350s but yes, that's what would have to be done. Injector and ignition timing has to follow what the engine mechanically requires.

I had considered doing that when my Voodoo went down and had a 5.2 Cross plane motor on hand but my Ford tech had no idea what I was talking about .
Most probably wouldn't, unless they've either been given an in-depth explanation of the differences or had enough curiosity to find out for themselves. Stuff done per the factory shop manual, they're going to be OK about (at least the A-level techs). Stuff on a more theoretical level like this, not so much.

Norm

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's get real here, do Ford techs know anything about our cars? You hear regular stories about 8-quarts of oil put in gen3 Coyotes.
In fairness mine has been able to do more than most as they have a “performance” line .
He was able to do a 6r80 swap and they have done most of my other work for the last 10 years .

I am sure he could do the “re-pinning “ of the ECU if he had instructions .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't aware that CPC engines had been swapped into GT350s.
Norm
I heard of a few people who road race have done the swap .
CPC motor is apparently more reliable and makes more torque .
Sponsored