Sponsored

Hard vibration when starting from stop with Mcloed rst twin disk clutch and aluminum fly wheel

Nate malchin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp2
Hey guys, I recently installed a McLoyd RST twin disc clutch in my 2018 GT. The clutch was installed by a Ford dealership along with a braided fluid line and slave cylinder. As soon as I pick the car up from Ford I noticed that starting from a stop the car vibrates like crazy until the clutch is fully engaged then goes away. Every other gear is smoother than butter when shifting. I don’t know if I have to give the car more gas, but even when I tried that the car still vibrated a little bit. I didn’t have this problem before with the factory clutch so I don’t really know what’s going on. The car only has 12,000 miles on it and the clutch is brand new with about 70 miles on it. The clutch pedal isn’t completely smooth either like the factory one was. I feel these tiny little clicks whenever I release the pedal and when I push the pedal in I fell the clicks as well. If anybody can help or give some insight I would really appreciate it
Sponsored

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
twin disk will do that ive noticed without enough gas sometimes i had an rxt and now an lpx from lethal the rxt did it worse for sure but that clutch was def on or off

OP
OP

Nate malchin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp2
Yeah, that’s why I’ve been reading. This clutch is for sure noisy. Even at low speeds, maybe 15-20 mph in 2nd gear they car has a slight jerk when just cruising. Gear changes have to be perfect it feels like for the car not to be jerky or stutter. Idk if that’s the clutch or user error. The clutch isn’t slipping, and it only has like 300 miles on it so far. I guess this just has some getting used to. Definitely a completely different feel then the stock. At lower speeds I hear this clunking when I take my foot off the gas, I was told it was the pressure plate by Ford releasing the tension. do you have any insight on that?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
The clutch was installed by a Ford dealership along with a braided fluid line and slave cylinder.
This is your problem.

The solution is to have an RST installed by someone who has extensive experience installing RSTs. Should you find yourself in Temecula CA I can give you a name.

Additionally, get a Steeda clutch spring and switch your tranny fluid to Motul DCTF. And if you really want a nice manual transmission experience, spring for a MGW shifter while your tranny is out and the clutch is being put in by a pro.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Why did you change from the OEM twin-disc clutch, to the RST twin-disc clutch?

Sponsored

5pointslowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6spd
I have the rxt and below 1800-2000k they hate cruising at that rpm. Even from stop rev up a bit more. Almost to 2k from stop. The gearing along with lightweight flywheel and upgraded will cause it to chatter at low rpm.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
At 12k miles too. I don't think you should replace a clutch unless it has gone out.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I made the mistake of putting on a stage 3 lightweight, twin-disk on my 2005 G35 back in the day. It sounded like a damn dump truck when idling in neutral unless it was engaged. I was going to put a SC on the car but stopped with my wife got pregnant.

OP
OP

Nate malchin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp2
At 12k miles too. I don't think you should replace a clutch unless it has gone out.
It wasn’t by choice, I bought the car used for 12,000 miles and was experiencing some abnormal things with the transmission. I brought it into Ford and luckily I’m really good with the guys there and they found out that the fly wheel was toast along with the clutch. First and second gear sink rules were also shot in the slave cylinder needed to be replaced as well

OP
OP

Nate malchin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp2
I bought the car used in the previous owner decided to fry the clutch. Brought it in the Ford they sent me some pictures and it was pretty bad. I only had the car for about three days. I guess my first mistake was not test driving it because I thought the car could be in mint condition and there would be no possible way that anything could be wrong with it

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nate malchin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp2
I have the rxt and below 1800-2000k they hate cruising at that rpm. Even from stop rev up a bit more. Almost to 2k from stop. The gearing along with lightweight flywheel and upgraded will cause it to chatter at low rpm.
How smooth is your clutch pedal when the car is on. Mines relatively smooth but I do have these bumps or clicks it feels like. When the car is off the clutch is as smooth as butter, but when the cars on the pedal feel completely changes. This is my first time ever going to an aftermarket clutch so I really don’t know what to expect. But me as an Overthinker I always think something is wrong no matter what

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I bought the car used in the previous owner decided to fry the clutch. Brought it in the Ford they sent me some pictures and it was pretty bad. I only had the car for about three days. I guess my first mistake was not test driving it because I thought the car could be in mint condition and there would be no possible way that anything could be wrong with it
Should have just done the OEM clutch........and, ya know, test drove the car first.

5pointslowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6spd
How smooth is your clutch pedal when the car is on. Mines relatively smooth but I do have these bumps or clicks it feels like. When the car is off the clutch is as smooth as butter, but when the cars on the pedal feel completely changes. This is my first time ever going to an aftermarket clutch so I really don’t know what to expect. But me as an Overthinker I always think something is wrong no matter what
Mine is smooth as butter engine on and off. Also forgot to add I have the steeda clutch spring upgrade aswell.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It wasn’t by choice, I bought the car used for 12,000 miles and was experiencing some abnormal things with the transmission. I brought it into Ford and luckily I’m really good with the guys there and they found out that the fly wheel was toast along with the clutch. First and second gear sink rules were also shot in the slave cylinder needed to be replaced as well
Got any pics of the flywheel and clutch?
Sponsored