Sponsored

Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
We need to get back to American made tools, jack stands etc. This scenero has been played out countless times over the last 20-25years. Pick your item. China offers a very cheap alternative/copy to a quality product, made here or wherever. Manufacturer of quality product either goes out of business trying to compete with Chinese labor or sells out to Chinese all together. American consumers love the new cheap price of replacement product. However, consumer soon realizes that product breaks, does not last as long and no service or parts are available. Consumer then seeks to buy "original" quality made USA product whch now, no longer exists.
I have a set of USA made light duty jack stands I bought from KMart in early 80's, when I was a teenager, to work on my old T-Bird...Still using them today! Also have a set of heavy duty Craftsman high lift, USA made jack stands that are great also. Not sure if you can find American made jack stands anymore but I would think twice about crawling under a vehicle supported by HF stands.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Believe I have a set of these too. They held my new edge up for a clutch job and rear end swap. There was a lot of “wiggle” during those jobs. That makes me very thankful nothing happened.

I try to double my jackstand use for more involved work and keep the floor jack under the car to leave a pocket should the unthinkable happen.. or throw a wheel/tire or two under the frame rails to create enough space to keep the car off you.

Either way.. quicklift or a real lift are much more comfort inducing.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Believe I have a set of these too. They held my new edge up for a clutch job and rear end swap. There was a lot of “wiggle” during those jobs. That makes me very thankful nothing happened.

I try to double my jackstand use for more involved work and keep the floor jack under the car to leave a pocket should the unthinkable happen.. or throw a wheel/tire or two under the frame rails to create enough space to keep the car off you.

Either way.. quicklift or a real lift are much more comfort inducing.
This,

I learned from my Dad as a kid to never trust a jack stand alone. I usually double up on stands and have at least one jack left under the vehicle. Never leave safety up to chance, I had a high school classmate die under his Chevelle after a jack stand failed with him underneath.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have 2 new sets from HF. Not even going to look at the model number. I'll be researching the Quick Jack system tonight.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Makes me gland I spent the money on a good set of stands recently. Harbor freight stuff has its uses. Trusting them to support a 2 ton chunk of steel a few inches above my head is not one of them.

20200512_115303_HDR.jpg

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
That's a helluva jack stand. Details?

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's a helluva jack stand. Details?
OTC 1780.

I chose those because I really like the flat bottom of the stand and the increased capacity. The pin itself is about as beefy as the Y piece in my old stands.

Trying to balance regular stands on top of a piece of wood so they don't dig into the ground is a scary situation.

Lancer37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I had two sets of the 3 ton HF jack stands that were recalled. I returned them yesterday. I spent a day crawling around under them last week, but like others, I take precautions and have wood stacked under the tires.. That way if a jack stand fails, the car bounces a little on my belly but I won't be dead.

W1cK3dSiK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2, 2020 F150 Lariat Sport
Bottom line is no matter what jack stands you use you should still have a safety net. Put a jack under the car as well or some homemade wood supports like someone posted earlier in case they were to fail. It could happen to anyone.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
OTC 1780.

I chose those because I really like the flat bottom of the stand and the increased capacity. The pin itself is about as beefy as the Y piece in my old stands.

Trying to balance regular stands on top of a piece of wood so they don't dig into the ground is a scary situation.
Those are not as pricey as I thought. I do like the flat base and the large pin. Althong, by the time i buy 4, plus a jack, just wondering if a quickjack would be worth the cost.
Sponsored