Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

el-guapin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UFO
Went to return the ones I had. Got $20 gift card. Could have sworn I paid more than that but oh well. The store I went to (the only one in the area) was all out of jack stands :frown:

samd1351

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Mail a check? Is it 1996 where you live?
I haven't set up the online payment for it, as I only pay a yearly premium. I only write checks three places any more. Life insurance (once a year), HOA fees(once a year), and church (weekly).

If I could just get my boss to do direct deposit, I'd be set. But he's very old school, and likes to make a point of handing you your paycheck.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
I haven't set up the online payment for it, as I only pay a yearly premium. I only write checks three places any more. Life insurance (once a year), HOA fees(once a year), and church (weekly).

If I could just get my boss to do direct deposit, I'd be set. But he's very old school, and likes to make a point of handing you your paycheck.
This is where I think you work now:

99721fc0b9825d0bcb1b54f03c72607e.jpg

Jmtoast

Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I had heard about their Jack Stands

irmoviper

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Glad I have a quickjack for this reason. I had a buddies jack stand set while doing my sway bars, i didn't feel comfortable at all even with the tires under the car just in case it fell. Now I have peace of mind when it comes to working on my car. Good looking out for the rest of us though!

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
I would feel very comfortable working under these. Looking forward to my next mod (stop the hop) - would you lend them to me? I have nowhere to stow this kind of bulk.
Sure, if you weren't 700 miles away :giggle:

barron64

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
We need to get back to American made tools, jack stands etc. This scenero has been played out countless times over the last 20-25years. Pick your item. China offers a very cheap alternative/copy to a quality product, made here or wherever. Manufacturer of quality product either goes out of business trying to compete with Chinese labor or sells out to Chinese all together. American consumers love the new cheap price of replacement product. However, consumer soon realizes that product breaks, does not last as long and no service or parts are available. Consumer then seeks to buy "original" quality made USA product whch now, no longer exists.
I have a set of USA made light duty jack stands I bought from KMart in early 80's, when I was a teenager, to work on my old T-Bird...Still using them today! Also have a set of heavy duty Craftsman high lift, USA made jack stands that are great also. Not sure if you can find American made jack stands anymore but I would think twice about crawling under a vehicle supported by HF stands.

Shifting_Gears

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Believe I have a set of these too. They held my new edge up for a clutch job and rear end swap. There was a lot of “wiggle” during those jobs. That makes me very thankful nothing happened.

I try to double my jackstand use for more involved work and keep the floor jack under the car to leave a pocket should the unthinkable happen.. or throw a wheel/tire or two under the frame rails to create enough space to keep the car off you.

Either way.. quicklift or a real lift are much more comfort inducing.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
Believe I have a set of these too. They held my new edge up for a clutch job and rear end swap. There was a lot of “wiggle” during those jobs. That makes me very thankful nothing happened.

I try to double my jackstand use for more involved work and keep the floor jack under the car to leave a pocket should the unthinkable happen.. or throw a wheel/tire or two under the frame rails to create enough space to keep the car off you.

Either way.. quicklift or a real lift are much more comfort inducing.
This,

I learned from my Dad as a kid to never trust a jack stand alone. I usually double up on stands and have at least one jack left under the vehicle. Never leave safety up to chance, I had a high school classmate die under his Chevelle after a jack stand failed with him underneath.

Kong76

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have 2 new sets from HF. Not even going to look at the model number. I'll be researching the Quick Jack system tonight.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

202 - CarModsAmerica - 1