Handling Pack fender flares coming off

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Different fenders right? With the Mach you’re going to get a lot of poke from the front wheels. You could always take them off, clean off the old adhesive and use new 3m stuff so you know it’s done right. Maybe bitch enough to the dealer and get new ones ordered under warranty and talk them into letting you take them home and install yourself.
the fenders are different? I wasn’t aware in that regard (I know the headlight areas are). The wheels are well under the fender from a poke perspective, I believe. I could get some pics down the side.

I plan on pushing the dealer to let me do the install of the replacements. I take great care in my work to prevent this.

but first I need to install the GT350 knuckles, AP Brakes and full suspension. The dealer always wants to see it to do warranty work, and I noticed this issue when I got it up on my rack to do the suspension work.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
the fenders are different? I wasn’t aware in that regard (I know the headlight areas are). The wheels are well under the fender from a poke perspective, I believe. I could get some pics down the side.

I plan on pushing the dealer to let me do the install of the replacements. I take great care in my work to prevent this.

but first I need to install the GT350 knuckles, AP Brakes and full suspension. The dealer always wants to see it to do warranty work, and I noticed this issue when I got it up on my rack to do the suspension work.
I know for sure the sheet metal from the pillars forward is different and you can’t put Shelby fenders on a regular mustang without doing the hood and bumper. I assumed this was due to width. Could be wrong though

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I know for sure the sheet metal from the pillars forward is different and you can’t put Shelby fenders on a regular mustang without doing the hood and bumper. I assumed this was due to width. Could be wrong though
my GT350R is sitting in my shop, I now have a project to measure it while my mother-in-law is here. Great work!

will have results in the next day or two.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
my GT350R is sitting in my shop, I now have a project to measure it while my mother-in-law is here. Great work!

That’s a good excuse to get away! I’ll use that same one later this week. I don’t have a gt350 but she won’t know the difference :giggle:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
that spot is tire rubber from bits of race tiregetting kicked up by the car in frontof me. It’s not an impact, and easily wiped away with Mother’s Race Rubber Remover (R3)
When then the impact was rubber. That cause the flare to come loose.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
When then the impact was rubber. That cause the flare to come loose.
Ugh. I assume you’ve never been on a race track and seen what are called “tire marbles”. T he size of the piece of rubber is smaller than a drinking straw and weigh less than an ounce. They are very sticky pieces of race rubber that come off high performance tires in the corners of a race track. It’s not like a re-tread from a semi-truck tire. There was no “impact”. It’s the equivalent of a large bug.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Ugh. I assume you’ve never been on a race track and seen what are called “tire marbles”. T he size of the piece of rubber is smaller than a drinking straw and weigh less than an ounce. They are very sticky pieces of race rubber that come off high performance tires in the corners of a race track. It’s not like a re-tread from a semi-truck tire. There was no “impact”. It’s the equivalent of a large bug.
The piece of rubber that hit your wheel lip must've been significantly bigger to mar the paint like that.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not disagreeing at all, but considering what I $&@$ went through just getting mine put on, whatever dealer who did this can just eat it imho
Regular Ford quality just swallow it and move on 🤪😂

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The piece of rubber that hit your wheel lip must've been significantly bigger to mar the paint like that.
@Quick should maybe show you how the rocker panels and lower parts of the doors look. However with the fende lip moldings it might not be as as bad in those areas...

That is normal from a track day, hence why ppf is good to have in those areas

Last edited:
OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
sorry, but no. Again, goto a race track and you’ll see it everywhere. Hot rubber streaks things all the time. It’s extremely common.

here is pic of my front bumper, for reference

52B5E119-4F07-473C-882D-9B9D8A20EA6C.jpeg

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I know some of the die-hard racers I was in class with at the gt350 track attack never did either and swore that the best break-in is driving the shit of it which guarantees to seat the rings and they also never had high oil usage either.
Truth.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

GT350 fenders are 10mm wider per side than stock mustang fenders. The GT500 front fenders are 10mm wider than the GT350 fenders even.

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
I have been battling this issue after every track weekend - 99.9% of the time it is because pieces of tire rubber chunks from the track work its way into the crevasses of the fender lip where the fastener trim clip mounting holes stick out into the fender lining. Here is one of mine after I cleaned it out last month:
fenderlinerlip.JPG

The tire chunks force themselves in and literally start to pry the lip down and away from the fender. The problem gets exacerbated when dirt and small stones start to work into the opening and degrade the sticky stuff. Just to show how persistent the rubber chunks are, here's a few leftover chunks from a few weeks ago that forced themselves through the crevasses of the diffuser:
tirechunks.JPG

So far I have been able to re-force the fastener trim clips and keep it nice and flush but the sticky stuff is severely compromised in many spots now. One of my thanksgiving break projects will be figuring out and adding some additional small screws and washers to the lip to help prevent it from happening.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Hahahaha, reminds me of cleaning out the 95 Cobra-R wheel wells after a 6 hour race, the clumps of race rubber put together was large enough to make a Snowball size ball of rubber on each side of the car.

Back on topic, yes looks like a bad installation by the Dealer. That tape is super sticky and when the alcohol is used, I can't see it coming apart after 600 miles. Hum, yep I still say it seems simple to install but it's tricky to get correct.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The car sat at the dealer for 2 months waiting to get the rear diff cooler warrantied as well.
the fender will never heal if you keep picking at it like the proverbial scab.

Maybe time for wellnuts instead of push pins?
Sponsored