Sponsored

Halogens/HIDs on the 2015 Mustang?

WRC

I for one am annoyed that we keep getting all these useless excessive safety features/technology and yet something as simple as HIDs for nighttime driving (which itself increases safety dramatically IMO) may not be offered as standard on 50% or more of the Mustangs sold. Let's get the basics down first, Ford.
Sponsored

Dyno

I'm really finding it difficult to believe we'll see halogens anywhere on this car. We aren't still in the years where a HID setup for one side costs $1,000. LED lighting is already entering the market at average consumer levels. Considering the price of this car is likely to go up (rumors of 10% have been spread around) and competition in this segment is fiercer than ever, Ford has to give it everything they have.

I will say, however, if they want to give a super stripper base model and keep a price around the current base; go for it. Otherwise, HID's all around.
My thinking on this is that Ford will push the I4 hard in the U.S. and offer it at the exclusion of the V6 in Europe. The I4 could come with HIDs standard along with a few other creature comforts not found on the base which will make it a more attractive offering overseas. I believe it to still be the case that most American buyers (the majority of V6 buyers) could still live without HID's.

If there is a model that doesn't come with HID's it would of course be the base model. As there are now 3 standard trims, it would make perfect sense to me for Ford to do this for further separation between the V6 and the I4 while keeping base prices down. Added bonus is they could push people to spring 1-2K more for the 4 cylinder which can only help their push towards greater MPG average across the fleet.

mister.peabodyjunior

Threads
Reaction score
I for one am annoyed that we keep getting all these useless excessive safety features/technology and yet something as simple as HIDs for nighttime driving (which itself increases safety dramatically IMO) may not be offered as standard on 50% or more of the Mustangs sold. Let's get the basics down first, Ford.
It's not a choice. It's federal requirements, European requirements etc.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
I am taking from this that there really is going to be halogens, at least on some trims.

I sure hope they managed to keep base prices low then. Otherwise, that's a double fail.

What isn't a choice, halogens, or HIDs? I am confused now -- I can't see halogens being required by "standards". Europe has always been ahead of the US on lighting...

To me, that would be like the 2015 F150 having Sealed Beams because the US required it.

Sponsored

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
What isn't a choice, halogens, or HIDs? I am confused now -- I can't see halogens being required by "standards". Europe has always been ahead of the US on lighting...

To me, that would be like the 2015 F150 having Sealed Beams because the US required it.
He's talking about the safety equipment that WRC was talking about. Didn't mention the lighting, which I take to be a bad sign.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I take it you're not talking about the lights since HID and LED lights are approved in both locations.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
I wasn't talking about comparing to BMW.

[...]

I do care about lighting. Halogens suck. HIDs don't. I drive my vehicles at night.
Where there is a vaccuum, the aftermarket will fill it. This has always been true of lighting. Aftermarket lights are a relatively cheap and easy upgrade.

Sponsored

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Where there is a vaccuum, the aftermarket will fill it. This has always been true of lighting. Aftermarket lights are a relatively cheap and easy upgrade.
This is true regarding easy, however, while there has recently been a strong aftermarket for lighting, I will not agree that it is a good one or cheap one -- unless you like blinged out Euro Civic headlights on a Mustang.

The point some are trying to make here is that we don't want to pay a bunch of money to upgrade an already $35,000+ car from Halogens to HIDs, whether as a factory option or aftermarket, when the rest of the manufacturers have HIDs or LEDs standard. The difference between halogens and HIDs is night and day, and in 2015 there is no reason to use old tech even on the base.

This is a brand new car -- it should feel like it from day one -- we shouldn't have to wait until a mid-model refresh. This is almost no different than the antenna debate.

yanks1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT/Calif Special Vert
in my view HIDs should be standard across the board, period! end of story

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Same problem with the CD391 Fusion. US market has halogen lamps only, but the Euro Mondeo will have LED headlamps as an option. I understand not wanting to creep all over Lincoln, but the Escape and Focus ST (which has a smaller volume) have HIDs available on the top trim/package levels. What gives? What's so difficult about making a lighting package and charging people?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
This is true regarding easy, however, while there has recently been a strong aftermarket for lighting, I will not agree that it is a good one or cheap one -- unless you like blinged out Euro Civic headlights on a Mustang.

The point some are trying to make here is that we don't want to pay a bunch of money to upgrade an already $35,000+ car from Halogens to HIDs, whether as a factory option or aftermarket, when the rest of the manufacturers have HIDs or LEDs standard. The difference between halogens and HIDs is night and day, and in 2015 there is no reason to use old tech even on the base.

This is a brand new car -- it should feel like it from day one -- we shouldn't have to wait until a mid-model refresh. This is almost no different than the antenna debate.
One of the things I don't like about the new Fusion is that HID isn't even available in the Titanium model. However, you can get them on the Mazda 6, Accord, Optima, etc.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Same problem with the CD391 Fusion. US market has halogen lamps only, but the Euro Mondeo will have LED headlamps as an option. I understand not wanting to creep all over Lincoln, but the Escape and Focus ST (which has a smaller volume) have HIDs available on the top trim/package levels. What gives? What's so difficult about making a lighting package and charging people?
Yeah -- and my problem with that is, if they don't want to creep up on Lincoln, maybe they should make an attempt to make Lincoln better and stand out instead of dumbing everything else down. If GM can do it with Cadillac, Ford surely can do it with Lincoln.

One of the things I don't like about the new Fusion is that HID isn't even available in the Titanium model. However, you can get them on the Mazda 6, Accord, Optima, etc.
Yep, and aside from the fact that halogens are inferior to HIDs, this is the second part of the issue. All the competition(like HYUNDAI and KIA, seriously!) has the good stuff.
Sponsored