Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I get it. But if you're not a total brand fanboy and truly look at the two from a bang for the buck standpoint, it's hard to beat that ZL1.
To some degree, yes, hence why I didn't buy 911. But when you're buying car for fun, I and many others put huge value to looks. People pay extra for colour and various other things they don't need (like HP). Camaro can be great, sound great, handle great, but I don't like how it looks. Other factor, and that's only for me, it's not sold here officially at all. Mustang sells because of the looks. Same for Challenger. I wouldn't buy Corvette cause I don't like how it looks. Cars are like women, sometimes the best bang for the buck isn't really an option 🤣
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
So, the moral of the story is water is wet. I don't think anyone was surprised by your results.

Still, good stuff to hear and I do wonder if it was the 1LE or not. My guess it wasn't, as that's a whole different animal and any sane person would notice a huge difference in performance between that and the non-HP Mach.
You know in hindsight it didn't have the wrapped hood or the wing, so it was probably the ZL1 with some other package.

To be honest though, for the type of driving we were doing, I don't think the LE pack would have made much of a difference.

Nothing in the review is particularly specific to the Mach 1. They are mostly "Mustang" points.

And I'd have to disagree on the sound. Coyotes generally sound like ass compared to the GM offerings. But hey... "sound" is purely subjective.
Yea, there is some truth in that. For most of the driving we were doing, a GT would have been about equivalent to the Mach. Again not really testing the handling that hard, just back road driving.

On the sound though, I think one can say the Mach is objectively better? IMO it wasn't even close, and the owner of the Camaro agreed with me. The only cool thing about the ZL1 is the whine of the supercharger and the exhaust pop, but rolling down the window is a huge yawn compared to the Mach

ZL1 starts out at $64,195 & Mach 1 $56,000, a difference of $8195; it’s not that close!
'22 premium Mach with HP is $64k MSRP vs the base ZL1 at $65k. Granted the LE pack adds another $7.5k, but to me, those are similar enough that I would be cross shopping them. I do agree that the 2SS is the better 'value' in the Camaro world, but if I'm being honest, with the impending demise of the Camaro and V8 cars in general, I would take the approach of 'go big or go home'.

You can't do that with the GT500 because 1) not a manual and 2) at the current market they are astronomically more expensive than the Mach

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
'22 premium Mach with HP is $64k MSRP vs the base ZL1 at $65k. Granted the LE pack adds another $7.5k
you do NOT want the ZL1 w/ 1LE package unless it's a dedicated track car. the non-1LE trim is directly comparable to the M1 in every way except for the supercharger being included. The *SS* w/ 1LE is also directly comparable to the Mach1 600A+HP but also massively cheaper for the Chevy.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
you do NOT want the ZL1 w/ 1LE package unless it's a dedicated track car. the non-1LE trim is directly comparable to the M1 in every way except for the supercharger being included. The *SS* w/ 1LE is also directly comparable to the Mach1 600A+HP but also massively cheaper for the Chevy.
Yea, for lame owners like myself who don't plan on tracking I think the LE and HP are non-starters.

The HP definitely looks cool, but I would have dropped another grand easy on PS4s, and the front splitter would be pretty beat up on my driveway. Last I checked I don't need the adjustable camber plates driving around town.

I do think the ZL1 is awesome and would love owning one, but if I'm being honest, it would mostly be for that twice a year conversation where someone was all "So that's the last of the Camaros" and I could be like, "Yup. Top trim". I guess I also prefer the clutch/shifter, but the Mach is pretty good. Overall the S550 platform is just so much more usable day to day.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Chevy gave us an easy way to identify the 1LE: That huge carbon fiber wing.

Other cues include the tires having the same 305 section width at all 4 corners,
and instead of MagneRide it just has a stiff-ass suspension.

if it had a wing, and your teeth let you know when you hit a bump, it could have been a 1LE. 😁

1LE, I could be anything I wanted.png
....actually, it looks like someone from the 'hood made that spoiler........................:giggle:

Really stupid looking................................:crazy:

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
....actually, it looks like someone from the 'hood made that spoiler........................:giggle:

Really stupid looking................................:crazy:
Thats…super thoughtful… The wing is made by Pratt Miller for Chevrolet, not some aftermarket “lifestyle” company operating out of an abandoned warehouse. It’s functional. I’m guessing you’re not shopping for a GT500 CFTP either.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
They discount stuff that people don't want to buy. Mustang knows great, buyers know it, Ford knows it, dealers sadly know it too (but not all).
This is up there with the most fan boy thing I've ever read on here

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Hey long time no see, now that I have my car I lurk around here much less frequently...

So I have a '21 Mach 1 6MT without the HP, and today I made a new friend with a gentleman with a Camaro ZL1 6MT, and he was kind enough to let me drive his car and I reciprocated. Driving was on Oklahoma back roads (with a good mile of fresh pavement)

Thoughts:

ZL1

Mach1

- Back seat is more usable than the Camaro
OK, the thing that popped out with me was that the back seat on the Camaro is worse than the Mustang. I find that hard to believe as with my seat adjusted for me, the back of my seat is all but touching the back seat. I wish they'd just made the fuel tank a bit bigger and put a shelf there instead of a seat.

Sponsored

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
OK, the thing that popped out with me was that the back seat on the Camaro is worse than the Mustang. I find that hard to believe as with my seat adjusted for me, the back of my seat is all but touching the back seat. I wish they'd just made the fuel tank a bit bigger and put a shelf there instead of a seat.
I agree, my kids tell me the back seat of my 13 is roomy and luxurious compared to the Mach 1.

Yes, they are sarcastic like their dad apparently.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
This is up there with the most fan boy thing I've ever read on here
But is it? We don't need to be fanboys to have bought the Mach 1. Why would we buy it if Camaro is objectively better? Clearly because subjectively we find value in what Mach 1 offers. You can say the same about any GT for that matter. Is every Mustang owner a fanboy? Or only those who buy premium trim and higher? If it doesn't rock your boat, you simply don't need to give it much thought in your selection. I never owned a Ford car before so hardly a fanboy, just a fan of the muscle cars in general. I gave more thought to M4 but wanted to taste the American muscle/V8. Btw, I'm not saying Camaro ZL1 is ugly, it looks great, Mustang's bodylines just look much better in S550 and Mach 1 front fascia especially. Wasn't a big fan of S197 either tbh. Nothing beats Challenger's front but it's a boat, and not sold here officially either. I wanted 7 year official warranty for peace of mind.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

Tayley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
12-13 Boss 302
Chevy gave us an easy way to identify the 1LE: That huge carbon fiber wing.

Other cues include the tires having the same 305 section width at all 4 corners,
and instead of MagneRide it just has a stiff-ass suspension.

if it had a wing, and your teeth let you know when you hit a bump, it could have been a 1LE. 😁

1LE, I could be anything I wanted.png
Small point but ZL1 1LE comes with 325's on the rear. SS 1LE are 305 all around. And yes the ZL1 1LE rides on the multi-matic suspension and you can feel everything lol
Screenshot_20201018-135016_Gallery.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why would we buy it if Camaro is objectively better? Clearly because subjectively we find value in what Mach 1 offers.
Because you let emotions and soft factors into the chat. Did not the movie Water Boy teach us that emotions are da devil? Admit to Mama you bought wrong.

Fore pure driving engagement the Camaro with 1le spanks any trim mustang. Trying to put progeny in the rear seats just shows a weak mind easily fooled by seat-resembling shapes molded in the rear parcel shelf.
Sponsored