Sponsored

Had enough of aftermarket CAI & HIGH IAT's. So here's my fix.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Now are u coming from stock with a drop in or stock paper filter? And that’s crazy I didn’t think you could beat the stock intake IAT’s.
coming from stock with a drop in
Sponsored

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Thats even more impressive then. I imagine it’s be an even greater difference if you’re all stock. Good stuff

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
And header wrap.
I'm not a big fan of header wrap. Those things can absorb shit and will increase rust if there is cheap metal used. My advice is to ceramic coat the headers if at all possible, and use the good shit like Swaintech etc. I was too impatient to do mine and I have regretted it since. Definitely something to consider for anyone buying headers.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
dn1984, did you notice any increases in airflow reading through the MAF? Would be interested if it’s actually flowing more air. Thanks

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dn1984, did you notice any increases in airflow reading through the MAF? Would be interested if it’s actually flowing more air. Thanks
haven't tested it. didn't test the stock intake so i would have no comparison. all i have to go by is my butt dyno and IATs

Sponsored

CBass2288

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Found some better foam. Smooth like a babies bottom haha. Conforms to the hood much easier now as well. IAT's are pretty much under control.
c_oc=AQnayrdNXtJ0vTcSeDLm5IpPdr-uoyFFvTBmenJpXckGSzd-TAMCIq_LVbSwgIF0IPE&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg
What kind of foam is this? Where did you get it from?

Did you remove the hood foam or whatever that is that's on the bottom of the hood or did you keep it in?

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
haven't tested it. didn't test the stock intake so i would have no comparison. all i have to go by is my butt dyno and IATs
yeah I get ya, that’s what’s really important anyways. All in all worth it over a stock intake?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of foam is this? Where did you get it from?

Did you remove the hood foam or whatever that is that's on the bottom of the hood or did you keep it in?
Got it from home depot, it's pipe insulation. Yeah, I kept the hood insulation on.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You can search my posts on my PMAS. My best results came from funneling air in from cooler sources, and blocking radiator wash. The point where the tube comes out of the box should have a blocker of some sort. I've used neoprene, Lexan. It doesn't matter so much the material, but a physical barrier that creates a wall in that space is imperative to good IATs. These aftermarket guys put a nice rubber gasket around the box but then totally ignore the huge gap by the radiator. Mock something up and try it. Some open element designs address this and some do not. I remember seeing where JLT has? had? a foam piece in that location at some point.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I did block that area when I had the JLT. The Rubber seal supplied with either the JLT or PMAS did not seal shit. I put playdoh on top and only one or two places actually made contact, hence my pipe foam insulation which now makes a complete seal. Also blocked the gaps by the inner fender, so the ONLY air coming in now is outside air. All in all I'm very satisfied, and boy does that PMAS get up and boogie. Cheers.
Love mine. I used a piece of Lexan that I cut to fit and then added the same type of gasket as the rest of the box. Then I decided to experiment with the neoprene. It helps a lot. One thing I noticed too, is even though you can seal the top, the way the box is made it actually allows a pretty good gap under the tube as well. I simply wrapped rubber around the tube at the top, and then added a strip underneath to close the bottom gaps. PMAS only did a fair job on box design IMO. I suspect it was an afterthought compared to the pains they took with the tube itself, since they are really more experts with the flow testing aspect. I had actually considered building a complete new box out of ABS sheet, but I think my setup is fine now.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So after trying everything to combat high IAT's with aftermarket CAI's (cai.. haha), and not wanted to spend more moolah on another close box CAI (like airaid) I decided to modify what I had. So his is what I did.. JLT elbow (shortened to right before the MAF housing), rubber coupler, stock 17 box, K&N drop in, removed the forward silencer, removed the charcoal filter, sanded & contoured the inside of the lid Works pretty fricken awesome. Always within 5c of ambient when cruising, idling today (27°c ambient, in never climbed above 36°c (97°f). That's just 9°c increase, awesome. Better than the conical air filter JLT CAI including 17 thousands different ways to keep the heat out. The plastic JLT tub was just to thin and heat soak was crazy, took forever to cool down once moving as well, likely cause the air coming in from the grill goes under the conical filter, hits the back of the box, goes up, then finds its way out the hood vent, gap between the JLT box and fender, etc,. etc. Raced a couple of my favorite targets last night, I'd say it's making more power. Quite a bit more actually. I'm thoroughly convinced it's the ELBOW that's responsible for making power, and the straight shot of airflow past the MAF from the stock lid, plus the K&N drop in is a proven 5-6 hp gain. Same tune, just redid the MAF scaling for the stock housing. So, lower IAT's, better throttle response, and at the much more horsepower than the stock setup. Follow me for more redneck recipes. Cheers.
98354729_3000180583410220_8966157273109889024_o.jpg
On a Honda that I use as my daily, I modded the intake system years ago. The thing had an intake resonator the size of basketball (I am not exaggerating) and the tubing choked down by a half inch compared to the airbox itself. Bought some alum tubing online and employed a rubber coupler to attach it to the airbox, ditching that whole res box crap. And it pulls air from the fenderwell. Yeah it makes a little intake growl but I'm good with that. It runs so much better. That was after trying an aftermarket SRI (hot air intake) of a popular brand that performed noticeably worse than stock. Lots of smoke and mirrors in the aftermarket. Some of it works and some of it don't.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my velossatech is almost here. then i'll install that with my MP concepts grill and have a lot more airflow. i'm going to wrap the velossatech in DEI gold of course because racecar

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Oh nice! Can you let us know if you notice any performance difference with that velossatech? You have the exact same setup I’m thinking about running- Injen + velossatech. I suspect it’s a winning combo

my velossatech is almost here. then i'll install that with my MP concepts grill and have a lot more airflow. i'm going to wrap the velossatech in DEI gold of course because racecar
Sponsored