Sponsored

Had enough of aftermarket CAI & HIGH IAT's. So here's my fix.

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I'm gonna be honest, we could go down a rabbit hole on this one haha. This conversation had me reading NASA articles on their findings of coating effectiveness in relation to absorption and emittance.

My own personal confusion, however, is why you'd want to potentially increase your ability to absorb more heat into your induction system when heat reflection and heat shielding with proven gold and silver products is much cheaper and easier nowadays than previously. If you're just doing a pass on a drag strip then whatever do you, different needs as far as cooling. But personally for me heat management is key based on my location, and for my need to be able to push the car for longer. So for me these methods I've mentioned have been more successful than just leaving the whole system black.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
DEI Gold is geared towards fire proofing.
Any heat mitigation is due to the fiberglass substrate. The “Gold” Reynolds Aluminum foil is bonded to the fiberglass and acts as a sacrificial layer for exposure to open flames.

It’s not so much about black as it is about the carbon used to make black.

Last edited:

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP 6MT
At that point wouldn't it be better just using aluminum instead? Just based on the heat absorption and dissipation rates.

OH! And another use for silver and gold heat shielding thats nice is for like the underside of a cf hood. They tend to degrade much more easily without the heat shielding.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
"The McLaren F1’s engine bay is lined with 16g of gold. Gold’s the best reflector of heat, and the F1’s engine ran very hot. Gold foil was installed to protect the car’s carbon fiber."

r9sh56uvn3ey.jpg

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
did you notice any flex in your hood? I did this with a pool noodles and I guess it was too closer to the hood causing it to flex so I took it off
None at all, I can see where it is touching and forming to the hood but doesn't seem to be putting a lot of pressure on it.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Anyways bit the bullet & bought a PMAS. I'm happy with the decision haha. Should be here this week.
98319583_1323460124514420_6632623849529671680_o.jpg

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
jesus dude, you got sick of high IATs and then go and buy that piece of garbage? no offense to PMAS lovers. did nothing but slow me down after countless datalogging and heat wraps

edit: i will say it sounded awesome. almost worth the .3 seconds added to my 1/4 mile

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes Sir I did. Plus, the hamster wheels in my noggin are a spinning haha.
i mean, i guess if you find a way to actually control the IAT with that thing then it could be good. it does flow well. but it got hotter than hell very quickly even with all my wraps and took forever to cool off. that was on my old 2012 with an open saleen upper grill and boss 302 lower with no fogs and everything. there was a noticeable power loss below 60-70mph

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes Sir, I was talking to a engineer friend of mine who works at Boeing, and he gave me a few good ideas. So I bought the best CAI (powerwise) I could get. When it's here, I'll make a seperate thread as to how it goes, or if I'm a sucker for punishment haha.
i'm interested in this. if you are successful here i may give PMAS another shot. would go the no-tune route since i don't think the $$$ for a retune would be worth it since i will only let Shaun tune my car and only in person. plus he will chastise me anyways if i do it, lol

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing you need to do, regardless of what intake you choose, is open up some of the honeycomb grill on the drivers side. Not sure if you have done this yet or not, but that will make a noticeable difference. Next, like another gentleman mentioned is to block off the area to the side by the radiator. The Velosa widemouth works good, but you could definitely fab up something. Those two things plus sealing the "heat shield" to the hood with foam, weather stripping etc should yield some solid results.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Curious why don’t you just go with a closed box intake?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing you need to do, regardless of what intake you choose, is open up some of the honeycomb grill on the drivers side.
Next, like another gentleman mentioned is to block off the area to the side by the radiator.
Yes Sir, I did all the aforementioned when I was running my gen 1 JLT.

Curious why don’t you just go with a closed box intake?
Like AIRAID? Not a fan.

BTW, this is the 2nd generation PMAS with the highly revised airbox.
Sponsored