Sponsored

Had enough of aftermarket CAI & HIGH IAT's. So here's my fix.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So after trying everything to combat high IAT's with aftermarket CAI's (cai.. haha), and not wanted to spend more moolah on another close box CAI (like airaid) I decided to modify what I had. So his is what I did.. JLT elbow (shortened to right before the MAF housing), rubber coupler, stock 17 box, K&N drop in, removed the forward silencer, removed the charcoal filter, sanded & contoured the inside of the lid Works pretty fricken awesome. Always within 5c of ambient when cruising, idling today (27°c ambient, in never climbed above 36°c (97°f). That's just 9°c increase, awesome. Better than the conical air filter JLT CAI including 17 thousands different ways to keep the heat out. The plastic JLT tub was just to thin and heat soak was crazy, took forever to cool down once moving as well, likely cause the air coming in from the grill goes under the conical filter, hits the back of the box, goes up, then finds its way out the hood vent, gap between the JLT box and fender, etc,. etc. Raced a couple of my favorite targets last night, I'd say it's making more power. Quite a bit more actually. I'm thoroughly convinced it's the ELBOW that's responsible for making power, and the straight shot of airflow past the MAF from the stock lid, plus the K&N drop in is a proven 5-6 hp gain. Same tune, just redid the MAF scaling for the stock housing. So, lower IAT's, better throttle response, and at the much more horsepower than the stock setup. Follow me for more redneck recipes. Cheers.
98354729_3000180583410220_8966157273109889024_o.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I've thought about just buying one of the elbows I see on American Muscle, even though they're overpriced. I like the cleaner look too. I've always gone back to the stock box whenever I tried aftermarket intakes. The PMAS I had on my old car was a huge disappointment because it sounded awesome but made my car about a half second slower in the 1/4 mile after sitting in the staging lanes. IATs kill power like crazy

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
See if you can grab an 18+ air box lid. Should transition into the elbow a little better than the 15-17 one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going to use the stock 15-17 lid, why not use the Mishimoto tube that would match or outperform that and avoid hacking up the JLT?
Cause I didn't wanna buy another aftermarket one.
1st you DIY your muffler delete, now the intake. What's next a homemade blower :giggle:?
Cause I'm not a mechanical engineer haha. But I will be porting the stock 17 manny next winter, and my buddy has a 3D printer and he'll try to fab up some 1" spacers to go under it. If it works, great. If not, great.
See if you can grab an 18+ air box lid. Should transition into the elbow a little better than the 15-17 one.
If I could find one reasonable price, I would. But the peeps seem to think it's worth it's weight in gold.

Here's a old pic of the lid. Smoothed out the exit a bit.
20200519_113523.jpg

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
I just put the Roush 18+ lid on my 16.1-2 * above ambient while cruising.
20200517_103910_resize_31.jpg

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I fixed my IAT problems! Hahah
And JLT to boot. IAT stays between 10-15 over ambient idling and a stop (tested in high 80s ambient temps).

My fix was 1) 15-17 Velossa Tech ram air big mouth, driver side 2) redneck airbox fix, weather stripping around the top of edges.
Before it would run 30-40 over, only dropping once I start moving and giving throttle. Now it rises very slowly and stays within a decent range.

Personally I don't think most people understand what's happening when their IAT shoots through the roof.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yes Sir. Different solutions for the same problem. MIne is just one, and I feel it's a v-good solution. I also like the stock box cause in my uneducated opinion I think it messes less with the airflow inside the engine bay, and keeps the vent directly above doing what it's supposed to do.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yes Sir. Different solutions for the same problem. MIne is just one, and I feel it's a v-good solution. I also like the stock box cause in my uneducated opinion I think it messes less with the airflow inside the engine bay, and keeps the vent directly above doing what it's supposed to do.
Glad it's working for you man. IMO one of the biggest issues is backwash from the radiator getting shoved into the airpath. My redneck weather stripping mod helped a little bit in most instances. But after I got the Velossa Tech that's when I noticed the real difference. Prior to doing this, when the fans would kick on my IAT would skyrocket. I tried the closed box thing too. The air that got shoved into the CAI path just got trapped in there by the closed lid. IAT rose even more.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Glad it's working for you man. IMO one of the biggest issues is backwash from the radiator getting shoved into the airpath. My redneck weather stripping mod helped a little bit in most instances. But after I got the Velossa Tech that's when I noticed the real difference. Prior to doing this, when the fans would kick on my IAT would skyrocket. I tried the closed box thing too. The air that got shoved into the CAI path just got trapped in there by the closed lid. IAT rose even more.
I didn't come up with this idea btw - @Brian@BMVK was the one who turned me onto it.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
FWIW the worst IAT I've seen was idling for 15 minutes in 90+ deg weather with the A/C on. Got to 140. GT350 CAI + big mouth. Sitting in traffic in the summer I rarely see over 115 F, and usually 8-15 over ambient, with 4-5 over at cruise.
Nice. It's a good setup and as you've said the GT350 box does a pretty good job of sealing to the hood. Thanks for turning me onto the Velossa Tech - it was the key. I waited too long to put that thing on.

I think of it as two main components: 1) keep hot air out of the airpath so its nearly all cold air coming in 2) some sort of shielding against engine bay ambient heat. Simply doing one or the other may not work. Other people, including you, have suggested using shielding material around the entire airbox. That might even produce better results for keeping engine bay heatsoak at bay.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I just put the Roush 18+ lid on my 16.1-2 * above ambient while cruising.
20200517_103910_resize_31.jpg
What push screws did you use? the kit originally uses self tapping screws.
Sponsored