Sponsored

Had an awesome experience with AED (in-person E85 dyno tune, lots of stuff learned)

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Shaun at AED has exceeded my expectations by far. I couldn't be happier with my experience there, his professionalism and encyclopedic knowledge about these cars, and the fact I decided to do this over an email tune with somebody else. I felt more comfortable having him diagnose things on my car in person and his knowledge of the local fuel situations we have in northern California as well.

The shop itself was badass, and I appreciated the fact that he let me roam around and ask all kinds of dumb questions. He gave me three tunes for the price of one (91, flex, dedicated E85) When we first put my car on the dyno for a baseline, he diagnosed some issues with my car. My passenger side cat is on it's way out and slightly clogged/collapsing. I don't know how long this has been going on, but he attributed it to bad and/or low octane gas. I use Shell and Chevron 91 (he recommends 76), but since I bought my car pre-owned it's possible the previous owner used 87 exclusively which apparently wreaks havoc on the cats on these cars. He went into detail about a bunch of other things related to that which I won't get into, but it was very interesting and it's nice to have this knowledge of modern engines now.

Anyways, because my passenger side cat was bad, it was heating up like crazy on the crappy 91 I had in there. This caused the o2 sensors to shut off like half way into the run (built-in protection feature) and tons of timing to be pulled during my baseline run. Baseline was 403 RWHP and I think like 375 RWTQ from what I can remember. My car is an A10 by the way, so these dyno lower than the M6 cars. Regardless, he said my numbers were very low compared to others. I don't know how long my car has been like this but he's thinking it's been like this for a while. I ran an 11.9@119mph last time at the track and I haven't felt any loss in power since that run so it's hard to say. Needless to say on this particular day my engine power was compromised a bit.

Next up, he wanted to go straight to E85 due to the fuel and heat situation. He loaded my flex fuel tune to transition, and it took a while to get all the gasoline out. He manually removed as much as he could and then ran the car for a while to get the rest out of the fuel rails (he thinks there's about a gallon that's left in the 4 fuel rails and associated lines). Then in went the E85 (actually half of it was E90 race fuel) and some more driving on the rollers to get it up to a high enough alc % to load the dedicated E85 tune. He was making tweaks to everything including trans logic the entire time.

Finally, the E85 tune was loaded and he ran it twice on the dyno with a little tweaking. 0 knock, full o2 sensor functionality with no shutting off, engine was VERY happy. These engines really hate heat with their high compression ratio and are extremely sensitive, again this was all part of the knowledge he was passing on to me the whole time. Final dyno results 449 RWHP / 416 RWTQ. Again, I have a clogged/bad passenger side cat robbing me of 10+hp easily

I'm extremely happy with my results. The car runs like an absolute animal now to the point where I may need to get some drag radials for the track (we'll see how I once Sonoma opens up). Power all over the rev range is WAY more brutal. And my "dream" drag mode is now just putting the shifter in S in normal, sport+, or track. Drag mode shift logic with no power drop between gears but with the throttle sensitivity of the other modes and the added benefit of it shifting up to 10th gear instead of having to switch from drag to another mode when I get on the highway like before. The engine itself runs MUCH smoother and doesn't make nearly as many noises as before.

Next up is either getting the TSB fix on my cats without having an engine code pulled (unlikely) or just biting the bullet and doing long tubes (more likely). By the way the long tubes he recommends for E85 cars are Kooks due to the o2 sensor placement in addition to overall design taking into account the gen3 exhaust pulses.

So....let this be a lesson on why it may be better to get a dyno tune if you're able to physically take your car to one of the top tuners in the country (AED, Lund, PBD). Based on my car's issues, I would say I am on the extreme difficulty end of the spectrum and not all cars will be like that. But the safety factor alone was worth it for me. Plus, he educated me about our E85 in California and why I should be using a top end lubricant when I fill up with E85, which is something I'm sure I wouldn't know unless I dealt with him since I've seen nobody else mention this anywhere. Keep in mind, some of the info I posted may be mistranslated a bit since I'm by no means an expert.

Anyways, a few pictures. Sorry I didn't take more photos. Here is my car in the shop with his race car in the background:

ffRud43.jpg

Here's Duke. He oversees the whole operation:

y4ymmhB.jpg

And finally just a shot I took of my car after I got home and washed the bugs off:

Xv8hYPK.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to post my final dyno chart. My original was too embarrassing so I forgot to ask for it, lol

MKuzYbD.jpg

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Wow, awesome review! Thank you so much these kinds of things are so helpful to those who have yet to make a decision. AED sounds like the best (along with others perhaps). I’d be very happy with that experience, makes me want to drive out there in the future.

Question- is that 449 low because of your o2 situation? How much does Shaun normally see gain/put down on the dyno?

Also, are you still on stock intake (panel filter and all)? Thank you!

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention my car is all factory stock except for a drop in and axle back, stock box stock suitcase everything. Yes 449 is low but due to my clogged cat, not o2 (although o2 cutting out was a factor in my baseline I'm sure). From other graphs he was showing me it looks like guys who are on the high range for E85 are in the 465 area so I'm about 15hp shy of the high number "stock" guys although I forgot to ask if their airbox was stock

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Oh cool thanks for the answer. So it’s typical to see about 45 whp gain with just e85 on a stock car? That seems incredible

Forgot to mention my car is all factory stock except for a drop in and axle back, stock box stock suitcase everything. Yes 449 is low but due to my clogged cat, not o2 (although o2 cutting out was a factor in my baseline I'm sure). From other graphs he was showing me it looks like guys who are on the high range for E85 are in the 465 area so I'm about 15hp shy of the high number "stock" guys although I forgot to ask if their airbox was stock

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats. Seems like your car is running real good, even with the failing cat.
E85 is so much fun, I've been using it for a year straight. Shaun had suggested that I add 5 ML of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of E85.
I'm thinking of getting Kooks headers in the near future. I'm not worried about smog checks, because there's none required in Mendocino County where it's registered.
And Duke is a really cool dog, very chill.

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats. Seems like your car is running real good, even with the failing cat.
E85 is so much fun, I've been using it for a year straight. Shaun had suggested that I add 5 ML of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of E85.
I'm thinking of getting Kooks headers in the near future. I'm not worried about smog checks, because there's none required in Mendocino County where it's registered.
And Duke is a really cool dog, very chill.
yes i am doing the mystery oil too as per his suggestion. i appreciate little details like that. he really knows these cars inside and out and cares about customer vehicle long term reliability. Duke is awesome, even though he's wants so much attention sometimes it's hard to walk around without petting him LOL. reminds me of my old dog

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
How does the shifting compare to stock drag mode? Sorry for all the questions, this is very much what I was interested in lol. Not a lot of people post about aed

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does the shifting compare to stock drag mode? Sorry for all the questions, this is very much what I was interested in lol. Not a lot of people post about aed
i guess the best way to describe it would be like a cross between track mode and drag mode shifting. partial throttle shifts are firmer than partial throttle in old drag mode, other modes are like drag mode but you can feel how the power doesn't drop between shifts. by the way, leaving it in D has a power drop off like the factory modes and shifting is less aggressive. and normal mode with the shifter in D is just like the old normal mode pretty much.

seems like the paddles shift/react quicker on WOT than they used to, but could just be all in my head since i never used them much anyways

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, awesome review! Thank you so much these kinds of things are so helpful to those who have yet to make a decision. AED sounds like the best (along with others perhaps). I’d be very happy with that experience, makes me want to drive out there in the future.

Question- is that 449 low because of your o2 situation? How much does Shaun normally see gain/put down on the dyno?

Also, are you still on stock intake (panel filter and all)? Thank you!
My car was brand new, had only 750 miles on it. Only mods were a high flow air filter with the carbon trap removed from the air box lid and a cat back exhaust.
Put down 422 HP / 395 TQ on 91 and 460 HP / 434 TQ on E85. A gain of 38 HP / 39 TQ. Same dyno( at AED), same day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there are only two downsides i really see to this. there doesn't seem to be as much engine braking and track mode in S doesn't downshift as aggressively as it used to, but that's mainly because it's kind of like drag mode now. D seems the same. and an obvious one...i'm getting about 18mpg on the highway at 75mph LOL. i just see it as the same mpg as a lot of full size truck guys, so doesn't bother me. i didn't buy this car for fuel economy and have a short commute

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car was brand new, had only 750 miles on it. Only mods were a high flow air filter with the carbon trap removed from the air box lid and a cat back exhaust.
Put down 422 HP / 395 TQ on 91 and 460 HP / 434 TQ on E85. A gain of 38 HP / 39 TQ. Same dyno( at AED), same day.
yeah i'm thinking i'm leaving at least 10-15 on the table. it was hot yesterday but i'm assuming the dyno corrects for that, although it can't correct for other effects from the heat on the engine besides just the pure air density difference. i am satisfied given my catalytic converter situation. i was expecting 430 wheel on E85 after the way my car was acting

edit: also i see you're a manual. you bastards always dyno higher, haha

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh and one of the best side effects from this? windows down WOT it smells 99% like a top fuel dragster (nitromethane), i LOVE it

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Wow, very healthy. Solid 40 whp and tq about with just e85. Should make it feel like a totally different car

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, very healthy. Solid 40 whp and tq about with just e85. Should make it feel like a totally different car
let's just say i'll never put that crap that starts with G in my car ever again
Sponsored