H-Pipe + Steeda Axleback too loud for track? 105dba

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Does anyone have this combo, or the Roush + H-Pipe combo and run on track without issues? I decibel metered at home in the garage and looks to be around 85-90 dba during idle. My track max decibel is at 105dba trackside. I would hope/think that I'm under 105dba at WOT but would like some assurance. I was going to post in the engine/exhaust thread but figured some track folks would have better info. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Why not set your meter up at the same distance away from the road that the track sets theirs up at? Then do a few WOT drive-bys.

Norm
I've been debating that, trying to figure out a decent spot (and time, since I don't DD it) my meter is my phone, so not incredibly accurate either lol.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well I get up to 100-102 with just the Roush AB and the stock suitcase resonator, so an H pipe is going to be pretty loud.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
You could try Laguna Pipes. Though they're ugly, they do work.

1628085131564.png
Just read up on this. Crazy! Damn Laguna neighbors shouldn't be buying land, building, then complaining LOL.

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Well I get up to 100-102 with just the Roush AB and the stock suitcase resonator, so an H pipe is going to be pretty loud.
Damn! This is the feedback I was looking for. Thank you, appreciate it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Damn! This is the feedback I was looking for. Thank you, appreciate it.
There's really not much margin on these cars from stock exhaust because of the 12:1 compression. Man they get loud quick once you get up there in RPM's.

With that said, using a meter in your garage isn't an accurate reading since the sound can bounce around in there.

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
There's really not much margin on these cars from stock exhaust because of the 12:1 compression. Man they get loud quick once you get up there in RPM's.

With that said, using a meter in your garage isn't an accurate reading since the sound can bounce around in there.
I'm going to try to find a place this evening to check it in similar to the track I'm headed to Friday. I'll place my phone 30ft away or so - hopefully I can find a half-wall like at the track.

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Well, I found an open parking lot in a mall setting with bushes lining one side, not exactly a racetrack setting but as close to it as I could find.
Did 3 pulls in 1st driving by my phone. Phone was 20ft away and max DB recorded was 91 using the decibel meter app.
The actual racetrack microphone is 50ft from the track, which is good but has more audio bounce because of the walls.
Crossing my fingers for Friday. The local exhaust shops are booked out 2 weeks so I can’t throw a resonator back on prior to track day. If I get black-flagged I think I have one chance to go back out, and I’ll try letting up on throttle near the microphone. Sucks because the microphone is on the straight but whatever.
To anyone looking at H-Pipe and Steeda axle-back, warning - it’s loud, and once you saw-zaw your stock system off, it doesn’t go back on without an exhaust shop.
FE692266-D00A-4A27-B12E-9CE156F894A4.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Imo a res delete adds between 4-7db from what I've seen. You'll probably just barely clear the limit.
Hope you’re right! Crossing my fingers!
This is my first V8 “car”, so learning as I go. My other V8 vehicles (trucks/SUV’s) I’ve always put on something a tad different than stock but the quietest option.
The 5.0 sounded so incredibly beautiful, and mainly a track car I figured I’d go with something louder. Not the best idea lol. Live and learn, even at 40.

Thinking back to some of the drag cars I’ve seen at the track, I don’t think there’s anyway I’m as loud as I think I am.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Have you thought about installing some of these to quiet things down for the track? You can open them up for street duty to make the exhaust loud again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Have you thought about I stalling some of these to quiet things down for the track? You can open them up for street duty to make the exhaust loud again.

My car did fine on the track yesterday (no black flag) it’s not as loud as some of the Camaros and Corvettes. So thankfully, I should be good and I’ll leave the setup as-is for now. Thank you all.
Sponsored