noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
Hey Guys,

There is a lot to talk about here.

First, in a turbo or supercharger kit there are many systems working together ---this is not as simple as a "blow off valve is supposed to do this or that".

Every style engine/combination can have a different Vacuum value at idle or during transitional throttle. Different elevations and atmospheric conditions can also affect this number and affect the rate at which this happens.

In our 25 years experience building these systems for multiple vehicles we definitely take the BOV position and operation as a priority. With our testing on the Mustang (and keep in mind we make systems for all makes of American muscle--Camaro, Hemi) we found that to keep drivability like stock, we cannot have the BOV open at erratic and inconsistent times. This will lead to a spike in MAF signal and can change the driving characteristics of the car. Keep in mind we sell these systems as tuner kits, and we are not in control of the final tune or goal. Can the car run with the BOV open at idle?--yes. Can it run with it closed?-- yes. We actually do not even run a traditional BOV in our record holding X275 race car---and that can work as well.

Bottom line is there are many different ways to utilize this great equipment, but with our experience over time and our evolution to produce the best part, we send our Turbosmart valves with a soft spring to open quick on decel, and it works best for us.

To answer the other questions:

The Valves actually blow air out at idle, so no debris will be brought in, and we have tested the throttle response to having the valve open or closed at idle, and the results were the same. This is due to the Mustang having a quickly reacting throttle.

Hope this helps.

Team Hellion
@HELLION TURBO
So we are talking about the Mustang with hellion kits. and several of us including me had the lightest spring in the BOV and it was staying wide open at idle. Is this what Hellion intended with the 5.0 low mount kit?
Sponsored

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So we are talking about the Mustang with hellion kits. and several of us including me had the lightest spring in the BOV and it was staying wide open at idle. Is this what Hellion intended with the 5.0 low mount kit?

Yes

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see people getting catch can for the passenger side of the engine. But mine has probably twice as much vapor coming out of the drivers side valve cover. I dont smell burnt oil since I put the break in miles on it. Anyone elses car have a considerable amount of vapor coming out of the drivers vent? I will probably get a Fatfab catch can but I dont want to look through the windshield and see smoke/vapor wafting around the hood.

Ghosted_10spd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt/cs
I see people getting catch can for the passenger side of the engine. But mine has probably twice as much vapor coming out of the drivers side valve cover. I dont smell burnt oil since I put the break in miles on it. Anyone elses car have a considerable amount of vapor coming out of the drivers vent? I will probably get a Fatfab catch can but I dont want to look through the windshield and see smoke/vapor wafting around the hood.
Hoping someone answered this… I see a crap ton of vapor coming out of drivers side catch can and also smell burnt oil after pulls

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
On a boosted engine it is best to have a catch can on both sides.

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping someone answered this… I see a crap ton of vapor coming out of drivers side catch can and also smell burnt oil after pulls
Might want to do a compression test. Testers are not that expensive. When I had alot of vapor/oil coming out I had a broken Ring land on cylinder 8. Mine either detonated or the piston ring ends touched and cracked the land. Mine was blowing it out of the driver's side blow off valve. Was super embarrasing to see smoke wafting out of the front of the car at stop lights.

Sounds like you are getting a little blow by (the smell). Worth checking the compression so you dont have a bigger failure that is more expensive. Good luck, and if you have to get it rebuilt I suggest RPG.

After my new engine got the needed break in miles I see vapor if I un hook the vent line from the valve cover, but it doesnt have any smell I can detect, Definately not burning oil.
Sponsored