Sponsored

Guys who upgraded to Red GT350R Calipers, bleeding questions

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
wanted to know from anyone here who has done the caliper swap themselves and not at a Ford dealer.

do you need a Ford IDS scan tool to unlock the ABS pump? I usually Motive bleed my cars but had a few issues on GM models in the past and had to get screwed by the dealer because of the ABS pump.
maybe just doing a caliper swap wont make this happen but i want to be sure and hear from guys who did this themselves.

Ford dealer quoted me today $589 + fluid and sales tax to bleed the ABS and system after the caliper swap which is ridiculous. I just want to be prepared when the time comes to do this myself.
Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
wanted to know from anyone here who has done the caliper swap themselves and not at a Ford dealer.

do you need a Ford IDS scan tool to unlock the ABS pump? I usually Motive bleed my cars but had a few issues on GM models in the past and had to get screwed by the dealer because of the ABS pump.
maybe just doing a caliper swap wont make this happen but i want to be sure and hear from guys who did this themselves.

Ford dealer quoted me today $589 + fluid and sales tax to bleed the ABS and system after the caliper swap which is ridiculous. I just want to be prepared when the time comes to do this myself.
I did the swap and installed 1 caliper at a time starting at the left rear and manually bled each caliper as installed each. I was careful to cap each brake line after removal to minimized air entering the lines. Once the calipers are installed the only air in the system was in the calipersand was very easy to bleed.

The only reason to run the abs pump is if you replace the master or abs unit or have enter the system downstream of the master cylinder.

Installing each caliper and bleeding as I went on made the process very simple.