Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
First of all, I think I may have discovered 2 more reasons why Ford doesn't recommend using the Gurney flap on the road. (The one normally quoted is fuel consumption.)

On the track it is exposed to high speeds for a relatively short time but in thousands of miles of highway driving the pummeling it sustains will push down on and vibrate the trunk lid and spoiler endlessly. After about 500 miles with the Gurney flap in place (driving to and from tracks) I noticed that my spoiler was slightly loose on the trunk.

I tightened up the 4 nuts that hold the spoiler to the trunk. 2 are under the big rubber plugs at each end and the other 2 require removal of the trunk trim piece. Tip - to remove the plastic cover over the lock, look underneath. You will see that you have to push a small screwdriver or similar between the plastic cover and the lock to free it. 10 minute job and no more looseness.

The 3rd reason is that the flap restricts rear visibility - less of an issue for camera-equipped cars when reversing.
Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Thanks for the info.
I checked mine today. No issues, not loose. 6000 miles with Gurney flap installed.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
First of all, I think I may have discovered 2 more reasons why Ford doesn't recommend using the Gurney flap on the road. (The one normally quoted is fuel consumption.)

On the track it is exposed to high speeds for a relatively short time but in thousands of miles of highway driving the pummeling it sustains will push down on and vibrate the trunk lid and spoiler endlessly. After about 500 miles with the Gurney flap in place (driving to and from tracks) I noticed that my spoiler was slightly loose on the trunk.

I tightened up the 4 nuts that hold the spoiler to the trunk. 2 are under the big rubber plugs at each end and the other 2 require removal of the trunk trim piece. Tip - to remove the plastic cover over the lock, look underneath. You will see that you have to push a small screwdriver or similar between the plastic cover and the lock to free it. 10 minute job and no more looseness.

The 3rd reason is that the flap restricts rear visibility - less of an issue for camera-equipped cars when reversing.
Use a dab of blue loctite and that'll solve your problem. Used a lot on my Wide Glide.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
I wouldn't use loctite on those. Even just blue might cause the threaded inserts to break loose and turn. YMMV

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Just picked up my 350 LDR week. Have noticed some flex in the wing (Swing) but doesn’t seem loose - may pull the plugs out this weekend to give it a little snug but is it normal to feel like the wing flexes if you put some pressure on it?

OP
OP
Tony_the_Brit

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my 350 LDR week. Have noticed some flex in the wing (Swing) but doesn’t seem loose - may pull the plugs out this weekend to give it a little snug but is it normal to feel like the wing flexes if you put some pressure on it?
Yes. It will flex but the base shouldn't move in relation to the trunk lid.
Sponsored