Sponsored

GuardianDesigns Custom Steering Wheel Review

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
What is the difference with 18+ steering wheels? What compatibility issues would be there?
18+ uses a different air bag, one from a 15-17 will not fit.

FunkinGoNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Carbonized Gray GT
these were looking great, but unfortunately on their site it states that i would lose my heated steering, which is a show stopper.. my hands are always cold :(

OP
OP
dead_inside

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
these were looking great, but unfortunately on their site it states that i would lose my heated steering, which is a show stopper.. my hands are always cold :(
Assuming none of these wheels have the a heating element? Would love to keep the oem style heated steering wheel
Yes, but then you are limited to OEM shape = only retrim is possible and addition of time attack stripe.
Here ya go

DutchGT500

Threads
Reaction score
I have had this wheel installed now for a couple weeks and thought I would do a review thread. I first heard of GuardianDesigns when they posted here on 6g. I had long been considering a steering wheel upgrade but hadn't found the perfect option for me. I checked out their site, reviews, the customization options, and was impressed at the level of customization offered. I noticed features offered that I didn't see offered with other wheel options like the smaller diameter, choice of thumb rest, and varying material types and designs in addition to the usual customization options. Although they offer alcantara, I didn't want it or carbon fiber as that wouldn't visually match my pretty much stock GT interior well in my opinion. Plus I didn't want the hard plastic feel in my hand of the carbon fiber. I optioned my wheel out to give an OEM+ look that blended well with the leather Recaros and crossed my fingers that the color choice I wanted for the stitching and noon marker matched the stitching in the interior. It was a tough choice though as I strongly considered the perforated leather with the red accent underneath. However I ultimately decided on a more subdued look. I reached out to GuardianDesigns via PM and inquired about how long it would take from order time to receive the wheel. Tomas let me know it would be about 5-6 weeks and I pulled the trigger on a Corsa-D GT wheel with perforated and smooth leather. I have large hands, so I was excited for the larger diameter but also for the visual enhancement.

Flash forward and the wheel arrived. It was packed well with foam barriers and a cloth bag around the wheel for protection inside the box. I installed the wheel with the CJPP video and tips from threads here. The install process was straight forward with no surprises. Having the wheel installed and stepping back to take a look at how it fit in, I was very happy. It looks to me like it could have easily came from the factory. I will let the pictures below do the talking for how it looks. The thick oval wheel fits my hand really well and gives that little bit of "something is special here" touch that the OEM wheel lacked. The stitching is excellent, the fitment is excellent, and overall I'm really happy with the upgrade. The smaller diameter of the Corsa-D wheel didn't have much of an impact on overall steering feel but that along with the flat bottom, now my leg doesn't hit the bottom of the wheel getting in and out of the car. So that was a nice perk. I just wanted to post this in case anyone may be considering a steering wheel upgrade. I received nothing for this review, I am just a happy modder sharing an experience.

Now for the pics. The top photos are the feature photos taken by GuardianDesigns. The bottom 3 pics are my installed photos.

Wheel1.jpg

Wheel2.jpg

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG
Is this the GT 120mm thickness?

Sponsored

DutchGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Time for an update.

We've been quite busy and this is one of recent "creations" for 2020 S550 manual.

Corsa with dark blue accents and custom satin black trim.

Is this the 114 stock or 120mm GT thickness?

DutchGT500

Threads
Reaction score
I would appreciate if y’all can post photos of your Guardian Mustang or Shelby wheels in standard and GT 120mm thickness.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just got around to installing my wheel.
120mm Corsa D. Also installed carbon fiber replacement paddle shifters.

Overall quality and size is great. Took about 2 months for it to arrive.

AED15F2E-611A-4CA5-9ED5-FEAE2360FF77.jpeg
Perfect! Are you considering the carbon fiber trim pieces?

Sponsored

Julianwithanx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2020
I wasn't going to initially but looks like i have no choice lol. Theres a large scratch going across the right side silver trim thats been bugging me.

DutchGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Just got around to installing my wheel.
120mm Corsa D. Also installed carbon fiber replacement paddle shifters.

Overall quality and size is great. Took about 2 months for it to arrive.

AED15F2E-611A-4CA5-9ED5-FEAE2360FF77.jpeg

[/QUOTEi]
What color did you choose for noon marker and stitching? And is that baseball stitching?

Julianwithanx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2020
Baseball stitching and ferrari red. The red matches the red stitching in the car pretty well.
Sponsored