Sponsored

Guard Paint Issues

Fastback15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard GT Premium
So I've had numerous issues with my car since purchase, most of which have been resolved after many headaches. No thanks to my awful dealership, Springfield Ford in VA. Worst service department in the US.

That said, my most concerning problem is with the paint. The paint is chipping all over the place on the hood and along the side about a foot in front of both rear wheels (where the body bows out). Probably 5 small, but noticeable chips on the hood. On the sides, there are about 15+ chips (white showing) on EACH side, roughly in the same area. To give perspective, you won't notice the marks from 7+ feet away, but certainly do when up close.

This is my first new car so I'm unsure if this is normal after 11 months of ownership and 9,000 miles? It really sucks that I baby the heck out of this car and wash it every other week (very difficult to do in DC area), yet the paint is getting killed.

My friends in the area with darker cars don't seem to have nearly half the marks I have on my car and their vehicles are much older.
Sponsored

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Same with mine. The paint is really thin and fragile on these cars, it's the worst I've ever seen.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Pretty sure all the new cars are painted with water based. Definitely softer and easier to damage than urethane based paints. My car is 3 weeks old and already has chips in the front fascia and on the hood. No, I wasn't driving behind a gravel truck! I recommend cleaning the spot with lacquer thinner and then using a toothpick dipped in touch-up to put a drop of paint in the nicks. You might have to thin the touch up paint with some thinner so it flows into the nick nicely. Practice on some easy spots and if you don't get it right, just wipe it off with a rag and some thinner and keep trying.

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Pretty sure all the new cars are painted with water based. Definitely softer and easier to damage than urethane based paints. My car is 3 weeks old and already has chips in the front fascia and on the hood. No, I wasn't driving behind a gravel truck! I recommend cleaning the spot with lacquer thinner and then using a toothpick dipped in touch-up to put a drop of paint in the nicks. You might have to thin the touch up paint with some thinner so it flows into the nick nicely. Practice on some easy spots and if you don't get it right, just wipe it off with a rag and some thinner and keep trying.
I'll be buying stock in toothpicks the next few years LOL

Turbo Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
Dr. Colorchip to the rescue!

armsdealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium PP2
Mine is getting wrapped in Suntek right now. My GTI and Ram have all kinds of chips on the front end. I wanted the mustang to stay nice. New Paint SUCKS.
Sponsored