Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sure. But that’s not street legal. The Ford 5.2 is.
maples and oranges. For those of us who’d like to jam that beast into a car of choice and daily drive it, dang.

the 632 is a good alternative to the hellaphant if you don’t care about street legal though.
I believe it's only street legal as a replacement in a '20+ GT500. Otherwise, there's a disclaimer (edit: on Ford Performance's website) that it (the 5.2 crate) may violate emissions laws if used in a vehicle it's not intended for.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Sure. But that’s not street legal. The Ford 5.2 is.
maples and oranges. For those of us who’d like to jam that beast into a car of choice and daily drive it, dang.

the 632 is a good alternative to the hellaphant if you don’t care about street legal though.
Excellent point, but...
ehhhh... I dont think I claimed the 632 was EO CARB street legal etc.
The 5.2 is street legal when modded to 1000hp? Go on, links, smogs, EO numbers?
What cats you run that dont burn out?

You are learning why everyone leaves Cali for Texas...

What are we comparing?
That's really the issue right? What exactly are we trying to compare? What are we trying to accomplish in the end vehicle?

Are we comparing street legal options that can be "modded" to get away with running on the street at 1000hp?
Like the Predator?

Are you comparing a "power pack solution" or a motor with ECU offering from Ford, or a stand alone crate motor?

What existing Chevy ECUs will run the ZZ632 with a competent tuner?
Call Chevy and you might be surprised.

It sounds like you are assuming that anyone is looking to run 1000hp legally on the street and actually hook that up to the ground. Hooking 1000hp on the street often results in tire spin, or rolling around on 15 psi drag radials in back.
Unless of course you buy a Tesla... and with used Plaids at 65-90k... Dunno, ICE no longer the stoplight king of the streets.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the LS reference. I was referring to the 5.2 SC Predator crate engine and it's disclaimer on the Ford Performance website.
Yea that disclaimer is like ehhh...
Not sure if we are going to see GT350 long term going to GT500 solution at current prices...

I DA HO !??
You da Hoe

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the LS reference. I was referring to the 5.2 SC Predator crate engine and it's disclaimer on the Ford Performance website.
What I mean is why would it make a difference for the predator engine to be "street legal" when you can buy an LS engine retrofit kit to go into any car it wasn't originally installed in and be street legal?? Not trying to make this a chevy vs ford thing just that there are many LS swapped vehicles.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
What I mean is why would it make a difference for the predator engine to be "street legal" when you can buy an LS engine retrofit kit to go into any car it wasn't originally installed in and be street legal?? Not trying to make this a chevy vs ford thing just that there are many LS swapped vehicles.
I don’t know nor really care. Someone else brought up the legality of the two engines (5.2 predator crate vs GM’s ZZ632) and I was just clarifying to him that the 5.2 predator crate is technically only legal if put in a ‘20+ GT500 based on that disclaimer on the FP website. He was saying it was street legal for any car of your choosing, which doesn’t appear to be correct.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know nor really care. Someone else brought up the legality of the two engines (5.2 predator crate vs GM’s ZZ632) and I was just clarifying to him that the 5.2 predator crate is technically only legal if put in a ‘20+ GT500 based on that disclaimer on the FP website. He was saying it was street legal for any car of your choosing, which doesn’t appear to be correct.
Nah, it'll be fine...

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
not a bad deal, a few bolt ons and 1100RWHP+ all day. My engine looked good as new and was todl by experienced builder most likely good for 1300 all day.. as you are seeing frrm other cars.. That may not be a "steal" but its helluva good deal

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I believe it's only street legal as a replacement in a '20+ GT500. Otherwise, there's a disclaimer (edit: on Ford Performance's website) that it (the 5.2 crate) may violate emissions laws if used in a vehicle it's not intended for.
"May violate emissions laws" if you live in California. And even then, it may not.
It just means the burden of knowing state law is on the buyer, not Ford.

I bet you could stick engine that in almost any car, and here in Virginia nobody would care. I mean, the mechanic doing your annual inspection would notice but if you appear to have all your emission controls in place and no check engine lights, he couldn't fail your car for an engine swap.

In FL, NM, and a few other states they don't even have annual safety inspections, so your engine swap is nobody else's business. Considering all the busted vehicles and bald tires I saw in NM, and trucks with rags stuck in the fuel filler, an engine swap isn't the limiting factor in anyone's safety or emissions, there.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
resurrecting .
I am building one with OEM parts but 12:1 CR pistons to pair with either 6r80 or 10r80 .
As VMP demonstrated to use with a Gen 2 control pack/15-17 ECU will need to swap cams(5.2 /gen 2 ) because of predator cams use a Gen 3 reluctor wheel .

I am wondering if it could be paired with a 10r80 using a Gen 3 control pack (could keep the predator cams )?
No DI in predator but most boosted Gen 3 use PI predominantly for fuel and some have deleted the DI .

Is the TB digital like in Gen 3 ?

Also see there is company making a control pack but looks like for manual so would need stand alone controller for the 6r80 automatic (no available for 10r80 ) .
I asked Lund about tuning with a Gen 3 control pack /10r80 but they said pass .
I talked to another tuner who said he may be interested but would have to do some research .

https://obrcontrolsystems.com/contr...ks/obr-ford-5-2-v8-gt500-engine-control-pack/

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Call Dyno Edge in Alb. and talk to Chris the owner. He does stuff many can’t and won’t. Straight up to. That’s where John with Hellion goes. Worth a shot.

resurrecting .
I am building one with OEM parts but 12:1 CR pistons to pair with either 6r80 or 10r80 .
As VMP demonstrated to use with a Gen 2 control pack/15-17 ECU will need to swap cams(5.2 /gen 2 ) because of predator cams use a Gen 3 reluctor wheel .

I am wondering if it could be paired with a 10r80 using a Gen 3 control pack (could keep the predator cams )?
No DI in predator but most boosted Gen 3 use PI predominantly for fuel and some have deleted the DI .

Is the TB digital like in Gen 3 ?

Also see there is company making a control pack but looks like for manual so would need stand alone controller for the 6r80 automatic (no available for 10r80 ) .
I asked Lund about tuning with a Gen 3 control pack /10r80 but they said pass .
I talked to another tuner who said he may be interested but would have to do some research .

https://obrcontrolsystems.com/contr...ks/obr-ford-5-2-v8-gt500-engine-control-pack/

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I called the Ford performance hot line and they said they would be coming out with a manual ONLY control pack in a few months .
They recommended ORB - I linked above - if I wanted something now but to expect pricing to be more expensive than theirs - understandably .
The guy described the predator as a “Gen2/3 hybrid “ and did not recommend swapping the cams , but also said he was not “interested “ when I wanted to explain why VMP did so to use a Gen 2 computer

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
called ORB
spoke to “olley” the owner who was very helpful .

The control pack is for engine management only so no option to control a trans except a stand alone .

I would be looking at about $5K and the base tune is for stock /9.5 CR so would need additional timing for 12:1

They do come highly recommended by Ford performance and given the amount of R&D that must have gone in to it , so not surprised .

I could still do a swap with a manual / and the ford performance control pack but will likely need to custom tuning too for 12:1

I think I am going to give up on this . Would be easier to just swap the cams and use it as a 5.2 Alluminator with the predator blower (not quite the same as having a predator motor ) and it could do “ double duty “ as a “spare” engine for my remaining S550 which will then have pretty much the same sans the predator crank.

I am probably just gong to throw the predator blower I already have on this for now .
12:1 built(rods /pistons ) Gen 1 SB with Gen 2 heads with a built TH400 behind it .

May be swap in a “real” predator engine and control pack down the road when Ford releases theirs as will be compatible with a TH400 .

CE6D8A92-0A2C-479C-BEFD-73A55445E4E2.jpeg

3E8BEE04-863A-4D22-95E0-FBCD097BFB61.jpeg

22C3D610-AE24-4CCF-A9AA-202BA58F3093.jpeg

5C1022EE-9552-41AA-ADEE-D8220C87784A.jpeg

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I called the Ford performance hot line and they said they would be coming out with a manual ONLY control pack in a few months .
They recommended ORB - I linked above - if I wanted something now but to expect pricing to be more expensive than theirs - understandably .
The guy described the predator as a “Gen2/3 hybrid “ and did not recommend swapping the cams , but also said he was not “interested “ when I wanted to explain why VMP did so to use a Gen 2 computer
I'm curious as to why he didn't recommend swapping the cams, since it's known to work with a Gen2 computer....
Sponsored