Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
IMO civic Si is biggest bang for buck besides A package base Ecoboost mustang, and exceeds mustang on almost all levels.
Personally I'd prefer if it had about 20-30more HP, but thats why I'm holding out to see the Type-S specs. Rumors are it may get a version of the Type R engine.

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that in my area traffic is just to much to have fun with a high reving V8, and even the twisty roads are just to crowded. At this point the best thing about the car is that it "sounds fun". It's making more and more sense to just have a more comfortable, better MPG car that I can occasionally have fun on a narrow, twisty back road with when I actually manage to find an empty one. I'd get a Miata or GT86 if I could fit comfortably in one.

I was also tempted to trade for a 2.3 Hi-Po with handling Pkg I found near me, but leaning more to a 4 door lately. If they made a modern Fusion Sport with the 3.0T or a revised 2.7T and AWD i'd probably move into that just to stay with Ford.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's 100% de-risked 760 HP that will probably last for ever thanks to bespoke Ford components, likely from the race bin engineered to withstand double that power.

With the avial management and wiring harness I think it's a great deal. I would probably get a package for an SUV before buying a new one haha.

When you factor in the value of time, it looks very cheap VS building a motor with bunch of 3rd party parts with unknown lifespan. Obviously a professional race engine builder could do it for at least $25K.
First, nothing is 100% derisked. Not even if you get it installed by Ford and have a limited warranty on it. See oil consumption, ticks, OPG failures, paint bubbling, evaporator core failures, MT-82 lawsuits, for reference. Just because Ford/FRPP makes it doesn't mean it's any better quality than a reputable speed shop/engine builder, etc.

Second, my point is that you can make 760 hp reliable for much cheaper. If you're wanting MORE than that, there are better/more customized options.

At this price point, it's a bit of a tweener. It's not compelling enough for guys on the low budget end to say "hey, I'll just splurge a little and get the crate engine" and it's not extreme or capable enough for the high end/hard core guys.

The warranty is usually the selling point for all things crafted by Ford or Roush and if someone isn't going to get that, it's a very unique purchase (at the advertised price point).

It'll probably go in kit cars and resto projects for guys dropping serious cash (but not looking to full out hoon or win races). That's a very niche market.

The motor is by most accounts, a very reliable, MILD build. And that's a pretty hefty price tag for mild/reliable. Too much for budget guys and not optimal enough for the hardcore guys.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The funnest cars I've had were small engine light weight, skinny tires. BMW Bavaria 3.0, Fiat 128, Nissan 200 SX, Karman Ghia, Corrina with Capri 2.8, and most fun - a Manx buggy with 1,600 dual port with 85 HP in 1,200 lb.

Fiat 500s are a blast and if Ford doesn't deliver my vert I'll probably get one. Can easily cover 700 miles in a day in total comfort or tear around town with joy. Low milage ones are cheap and core car is reliable.

Today's civics exceed 2000 S class in everyway and are probably similar size too haha. Get the active suspension I heard it's amazing.
I first tried to find a 240SX or RS 2.5 for a project car, mostly restore to near new, + mild mods, but it's impossible. All are HEAVILY modded, just a shell, or way rusted out.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Ford PErformance put this engine setup with a tremec manual trans in a Ford Bronco resto mod for Jay Leno.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Ford PErformance put this engine setup with a tremec manual trans in a Ford Bronco resto mod for Jay Leno.
Easilly the dumbest application for this engine possible....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There are some serious crate engines out there from the big 3: Ford's Predator, Aluminator 52XS, Ford 572 big block, GM's LT4/LT5 (although the LT5 has been discontinued), ZZ572; Mopar's Hellcat/Redeye/Hellephant (also no longer available but whatever), and of course the new king of crate engines: The GM ZZ632:
ZZ632 Crate Engine | Chevy Performance Parts (chevrolet.com)

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There are some serious crate engines out there from the big 3: Ford's Predator, Aluminator 52XS, Ford 572 big block, GM's LT4/LT5 (although the LT5 has been discontinued), ZZ572; Mopar's Hellcat/Redeye/Hellephant (also no longer available but whatever), and of course the new king of crate engines: The GM ZZ632:
ZZ632 Crate Engine | Chevy Performance Parts (chevrolet.com)
I wouldn't even consider the Helephant motor. Given the price tag I saw, it's probably the lowest value motor I've ever seen.

A giant, 426 cube bloated blown motor with 50 year old technology that puts out 1000 hp on race gas.

Welcome to 1990.

I'm pretty sure it's iron block as well, so the thing probably weighs a metric ass ton.

At well over $30k+ (when you add in the control module and all that's needed) it's simply marketed to people with more money than sense.

In the meantime, Mercury is producing naturally aspirated LTX motors capable of 700+ hp naturally aspirated. Those motors take up 40% less space, weigh half as much and produce 3/4 of the output (and cost less).

Dodge is laughing all the way to the bank. They market to guys who have tiny penises that just see a giant number and don't question what it took to reach it.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
I wouldn't even consider the Helephant motor. Given the price tag I saw, it's probably the lowest value motor I've ever seen.

A giant, 426 cube bloated blown motor with 50 year old technology that puts out 1000 hp on race gas.

Welcome to 1990.

I'm pretty sure it's iron block as well, so the thing probably weighs a metric ass ton.

At well over $30k+ (when you add in the control module and all that's needed) it's simply marketed to people with more money than sense.

In the meantime, Mercury is producing naturally aspirated LTX motors capable of 700+ hp naturally aspirated. Those motors take up 40% less space, weigh half as much and produce 3/4 of the output (and cost less).

Dodge is laughing all the way to the bank. They market to guys who have tiny penises that just see a giant number and don't question what it took to reach it.
A quick google search would tell you that the hellephant is an aluminum block engine, 30 grand is a ton of money but for 1000 hp and 950 pound ft of torque it’s not out of line with other offerings from OEMs. Of course it’s overpriced but it’s a great option for a clean build that’s not just like everything else. Same with the hellcrate and ford crate engines. In short cheapest isn’t always the way to go.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
The predator motor is a bargain compared to the 5.2 Alluminator XS which is only 2K less and does not include exhaust manifold https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

1BC9E8B0-C2B4-457B-885D-47383324761E.png
Im confused, I remember awhile ago people were saying that just the long block for the GT500 was like $40k or something like that. There was a video of some YouTube guy who blew his GT500 engine and people were making comments. Did Ford do something different for this crate engine, or am I getting something wrong? Little bit confused right now pretty sure the Voodoo engine is about the same price too if you need a new engine out of warranty

Sponsored

Peter733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Im confused, I remember awhile ago people were saying that just the long block for the GT500 was like $40k or something like that. There was a video of some YouTube guy who blew his GT500 engine and people were making comments. Did Ford do something different for this crate engine, or am I getting something wrong? Little bit confused right now pretty sure the Voodoo engine is about the same price too if you need a new engine out of warranty
I just got a quote from a dealer they told me the long block was 26g I needed a whole engine ended up buying the crate engine from BLUE OVAL INDUSTRIES for 24g

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
My engine builder (Chris Holbrook Racing Engines) had THREE delivered at the shop this week. I saw them Friday but we ran out of time for an unboxing.
-J
I wonder what the admin fee will be? LOL

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra