Sponsored

GT500 vs ZL1 (including 1LE) roadcourse

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I stated my opinion, and you stated yours, but you think your opinion has more value than mine. So yes, you are insecure. I have not said anything anti ford. I said I hope the gt500 does better but I dont think it will. Now here are the facts. Same size tires as the GT350R. I dont know why you keep saying otherwise. Look it up. Just because you say something, doesnt make it true. They are 305 front, 315 rear. Another fact you can easily look up, they ARE the same compound. Cup 2s for the OPTIONAL tire, the 4S from the PP1 as the standard tire. Another fact is that it will not be lighter than a 350R, and it will have more weight over the front axle just based on the power train set up alone. The DCT is not a transaxle, so that wont help weight distribution either.

So, stop being so blinded by a car brand and keep your mind open a little bit. You argue like a child and I'm done with you. Once again, I said, "I think" certain things, not that they were facts, but I have presented you with FACTS you can look up on your own. Based on those facts, and what I have seen on the car, I have an opinion on how it will compete with the Zl1 on a road course.
You say I argue like a child and that I'm insecure. Why can't you just discuss cars rather than insulting me? Most of your emotional, non-factual statements have been anti Ford. "not in the same league", "limits have been tapped". I might be biased, but I think I am seeing things a lot closer to reality than you.

You say you think adding 200 HP won't make the car faster. Not a reasonable opinion. It makes you seem very biased.

It says right in the Ford press release that the tires are wider. I think you have information about the 4S tires rather than the track Cup 2 tires. From what I've read the Cup 2s are wider - maybe it's only the rears that are wider, but the press release says specifically 1/2 inch wider. Someone even posted that in this thread - maybe you ignored it because it doesn't support your narrative. Do you want to compare the fastest Chevy model available to the slower options on the Ford? If you do, that would make you biased against the Ford, don't you think?

Just because the tire is named Cup 2 doesn't mean it has a specific compound. If you do a little research you will find that Michelin uses different compounds for different applications, but still uses the same names. They don't have a unique name for every different tire compound. For example, many of the GT350 guys use Porsche tires that must have a slightly different compound because they have been found to last longer than the factory spec tires. They have the same Michelin name, though.

I agree with your weight distribution information, but you are failing to take into account that the same weight distribution issues are present in the Camaro. And the Camaro doesn't have carbon fiber wheels. I expect the power to weight ratio on the GT500 will be improved over the GT350 and that will mean superior acceleration at higher speeds on track.
Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Since no one wants to quote the actual brochure..
  • 20x11-inch front wheels / 20x11.5-inch rear wheels
  • Custom Ford Performance-spec Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires or more aggressive Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires
  • Massive 16.5” two-piece SHW rotors and Brembo 6-piston fixed calipers (20% more swept area than GT350’s)
  • Next-gen active MagneRide suspension
  • Two handling packages:
    • Handling Package includes adjustable strut top mounts and spoiler with Gurney flap
    • Carbon Fiber Track Package features rear seat delete, exposed 20-inch carbon fiber wheels with 0.5-inch wider rear wheels (11.5-inch), custom Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, adjustable exposed carbon fiber GT4 track wing and splitter wickers with integrated dive plane
At least that's what was posted here.. it's a bit ambiguous. First it sounds like the standard GT500 has 11.5" rear wheels, then they say the track package has .5" wider wheels but still 11.5".. so who knows? No where that I've seen has stated the actual size of the tires.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Since no one wants to quote the actual brochure..
At least that's what was posted here.. it's a bit ambiguous. First it sounds like the standard GT500 has 11.5" rear wheels, then they say the track package has .5" wider wheels but still 11.5".. so who knows? No where that I've seen has stated the actual size of the tires.
The press releases I saw stated the sizes were the same, and the carbon pack gt500 I saw at Barrett Jackson had 305/315 Cup 2s.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
This if its true actually makes me believe the 4000+ lbs weight speculation. Maybe Ford couldn’t keep the weight down with all the addons and realized even with more rubber the weight and chassis only allowed some improvements for the handling but nothing drastic. Lets hope for this to be fake news.
Has nothing to do with it. It's more a philosophy around being honest. The Ford GT also didn't go for 'Ring times, though it does exceptionally well.

The GT500 will destroy the ZL1LE around corners as well, but it will be others bragging about it. Not Ford.

The Nurburgring had banned such "record" attempts a few years ago for a number of reasons.

Once of the things that folks like GM and others have been caught doing is any number of dishonest things to get a favorable time. Not limited to "simulations" combined with real world performance to extract the best time that never happened. And they actually publish those numbers.

Ford isn't interested in that. And that's a good thing.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I stated my opinion, and you stated yours, but you think your opinion has more value than mine. So yes, you are insecure. I have not said anything anti ford. I said I hope the gt500 does better but I dont think it will. Now here are the facts. Same size tires as the GT350R. I dont know why you keep saying otherwise. Look it up. Just because you say something, doesnt make it true. They are 305 front, 315 rear. Another fact you can easily look up, they ARE the same compound. Cup 2s for the OPTIONAL tire, the 4S from the PP1 as the standard tire. Another fact is that it will not be lighter than a 350R, and it will have more weight over the front axle just based on the power train set up alone. The DCT is not a transaxle, so that wont help weight distribution either.

So, stop being so blinded by a car brand and keep your mind open a little bit. You argue like a child and I'm done with you. Once again, I said, "I think" certain things, not that they were facts, but I have presented you with FACTS you can look up on your own. Based on those facts, and what I have seen on the car, I have an opinion on how it will compete with the Zl1 on a road course.
The GT350R handles better than any Camaro. The ZL1 1LE only beats it due to the addition of power via forced induction.

Supercharge the 350R and it's game over for the ZL1 1 LE.

Enter GT500 - a GT350R on steroids in handling PLUS an order of magnitude greater power than the ZL1.

Not going to go how you see it in your dreams. could end up being quite the nightmare actually.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The GT350R handles better than any Camaro. The ZL1 1LE only beats it due to the addition of power via forced induction.

Supercharge the 350R and it's game over for the ZL1 1 LE.

Enter GT500 - a GT350R on steroids in handling PLUS an order of magnitude greater power than the ZL1.

Not going to go how you see it in your dreams. could end up being quite the nightmare actually.
The GT350R has tested slower than the regular ZL1. It's not even a contest with the ZL1 1LE. It's quite an over simplification to say the ZL1 is only faster because of the power, because the brakes have proven to be stellar, as well as the balance of the car, even with the blower up front. I don't know why you think the gt500 will be like a 350R on steroids, as the car will be significantly heavier and have different handling characteristics.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Isn’t it fun arguing over cars when you don’t even know the specs yet?:facepalm:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Isn’t it fun arguing over cars when you don’t even know the specs yet?:facepalm:
The reddit thread had all the stats bro!!!111

The only stat that matters anyways is the amount of vacations you take each year.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Got that right. Im about do for another one myself. Gotta keep up with the Jones.:giggle:If you don’t see me on here. I’ll be off jet setting with the rich and famous.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The GT350R has tested slower than the regular ZL1. It's not even a contest with the ZL1 1LE. It's quite an over simplification to say the ZL1 is only faster because of the power, because the brakes have proven to be stellar, as well as the balance of the car, even with the blower up front. I don't know why you think the gt500 will be like a 350R on steroids, as the car will be significantly heavier and have different handling characteristics.
So... you really either didn’t read entirely or just chose to miss the point.

The GT350R is a better handling platform than the Camaro 1LE.

THE ZL1 being a supercharged version puts it ahead due to power.

Add a supercharger to the 350R and it whoops the ZLE.

Enter the King of the Road. The 500 will likewise whoop on the zl1 1LE.

NA for NA, the Mustang has the best handling car.

FI for FI, the Mustang has the best handling car. Quicker and faster too.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The ZL1 1LE is in an entirely different league. The GT350R is not even a competition for it on the track, and the GT500 may bridge the gap but will not beat it on the track.
The 500 will whoop the zl1. On the strip. On the track. Trim for trim.

The possibility very strongly exists that even the standard 500 beats the zl1 1le.

The 350R is the best NA track car of all NA mustangs and Camaros.

The 500 will be the best FI track car of all the Mustangs and Camaros.

It’s a brutal terror and is going to hurt serious feelings. Get some Kleenex ready.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The reddit thread had all the stats bro!!!111

The only stat that matters anyways is the amount of seat time you get on the road course.
Fixed

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The GT350R has tested slower than the regular ZL1.
I call BS on that ChevyTrend test. You honestly believe the heavier car with worse weight distribution, smaller tires, less sticky tires, and less downdorce gained all of it's time in the corners over the lighter, better weight distribution GT350R with far more aero, better and stickier and wider tires? -look it up, the ZL1 gained almost all of it's time in the sweeping corners, not the straights.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
The 500 will whoop the zl1. On the strip. On the track. Trim for trim.

The possibility very strongly exists that even the standard 500 beats the zl1 1le.

The 350R is the best NA track car of all NA mustangs and Camaros.

The 500 will be the best FI track car of all the Mustangs and Camaros.

It’s a brutal terror and is going to hurt serious feelings. Get some Kleenex ready.
That's right, I have been saying that for a while. Put the bow tie boys on suicide watch :cwl:
Sponsored