Sponsored

'

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don’t know how I missed this. It’s almost a month old now. I found it after reading a Car & Driver article that tested CFTP vs ZLE vs Redeye. More on that later. Here is a CFTP vs ZLE, both in full track mode, head to head. Spoiler - A lot of you are not gonna like this....

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ng-shelby-gt500-vs-2019-chevy-camaro-zl1-1le/

And here’s the article that landed today that adds the Redeye to the mix. Looks like all three were tested at the same time. Data on the CFTP and the ZLE is exactly as in the other article I posted.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30870010/2020-muscle-car-showdown/
I didn't like it. I thought it was BS to say that a car with such rough suspension is the better way to go.

Frankly I would probably choose a ZL1 (with a manual) over the ZL1 1LE OR the GT500. I don't really like automatics and I'm not going to spend $65k for a car that won't be enjoyable for commuting in. I would feel silly driving the ZL1 1LE with all those dive planes and the big wing.

But a car with a heavy blower on the engine isn't something I really want. I still miss my GT350 and I'm resolved to own another one of these days.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I didn't like it. I thought it was BS to say that a car with such rough suspension is the better way to go.

Frankly I would probably choose a ZL1 (with a manual) over the ZL1 1LE OR the GT500. I don't really like automatics and I'm not going to spend $65k for a car that won't be enjoyable for commuting in. I would feel silly driving the ZL1 1LE with all those dive planes and the big wing.

But a car with a heavy blower on the engine isn't something I really want. I still miss my GT350 and I'm resolved to own another one of these days.
Similar thoughts on car preferences. I was asked in another thread whether I’d choose a CFTP or a ZLE if I were being given one for free. My answer was both being free I’d take the CFTP. Spending my own money and limited to only those two cars I’d take the ZLE, but fact of the matter is, spending my own money, I’d be deciding between a GT500 base, a ZL1, and a C8 Grand Sport when it comes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Similar thoughts on car preferences. I was asked in another thread whether I’d choose a CFTP or a ZLE if I were being given one for free. My answer was both being free I’d take the CFTP. Spending my own money and limited to only those two cars I’d take the ZLE, but fact of the matter is, spending my own money, I’d be deciding between a GT500 base, a ZL1, and a C8 Grand Sport when it comes.
If I were considering GM only I would be looking at an SS 1LE. C8 with no manual is a non-starter for me. If I were a smaller person a C7 Z51 would be a consideration. But I don't really like the way GM engines rev out and I'm an engine person. I think the cars are good but I just wish the engines were better.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Don’t know how I missed this. It’s almost a month old now. I found it after reading a Car & Driver article that tested CFTP vs ZLE vs Redeye. More on that later. Here is a CFTP vs ZLE, both in full track mode, head to head. Spoiler - A lot of you are not gonna like this....

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ng-shelby-gt500-vs-2019-chevy-camaro-zl1-1le/

And here’s the article that landed today that adds the Redeye to the mix. Looks like all three were tested at the same time. Data on the CFTP and the ZLE is exactly as in the other article I posted.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30870010/2020-muscle-car-showdown/
And still no track times.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Next month, I’m guessing. Seems to be the trend now. I guess to keep selling magazines and online subscriptions.
It will be interesting to see if they indeed have any.

Snowwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 2017 Expedition, 2019 Honda Civic
I gave up on my quest to buy a GT500. Today made arrangements to pick up a new 2020 ZL1 next week. After reading the latest R&T rag am glad I did. Plus I got the ZL1 for $8k under MSRP instead of paying over MSRP.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I gave up on my quest to buy a GT500. Today made arrangements to pick up a new 2020 ZL1 next week. After reading the latest R&T rag am glad I did. Plus I got the ZL1 for $8k under MSRP instead of paying over MSRP.

I thought you already "gave up" back in December, when you said you had a C8 "on order":

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.39.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.39.57 AM.png

So I guess that's not happening? Settled on a Camaro that won't be as fast 0-60? :crackup:

Snowwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 2017 Expedition, 2019 Honda Civic
I thought you already "gave up" back in December, when you said you had a C8 "on order":

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.39.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.39.57 AM.png

So I guess that's not happening? Settled on a Camaro that won't be as fast 0-60? :crackup:
The C8 I had on order was as a backup. Since my deposit was fully refundable it allowed me to continue to search for a sports car while still remaining on the que for the new Corvette. There are plenty of good choices on the market today. Life tosses us lemons so try to make them into lemonade.
I would of gladly bought a new GT500 if I could of found one for MSRP. But I absolutely refuse to pay more. To me, no car is worth above the sticker, not one. Don't feel like I settled either. Fun trying something new. This will be my first Camaro.
Cheers

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The C8 I had on order was as a backup. Since my deposit was fully refundable it allowed me to continue to search for a sports car while still remaining on the que for the new Corvette. There are plenty of good choices on the market today. Life tosses us lemons so try to make them into lemonade.
I would of gladly bought a new GT500 if I could of found one for MSRP. But I absolutely refuse to pay more. To me, no car is worth above the sticker, not one. Don't feel like I settled either. Fun trying something new. This will be my first Camaro.
Cheers
Seems like a good plan. It's fun to try different cars and I bet the ZL1 will be fun. I think it's probably a good choice to get the ZL1 over the ZL1-1LE. All the power and good handling but without the buckboard stiff ride. Maybe in a year or two the GT500 will be easier to find and the Camaro can tide you over.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Seems like a good plan. It's fun to try different cars and I bet the ZL1 will be fun. I think it's probably a good choice to get the ZL1 over the ZL1-1LE. All the power and good handling but without the buckboard stiff ride. Maybe in a year or two the GT500 will be easier to find and the Camaro can tide you over.
A guy on my floor recently had his Charger HC stolen right out of our parking deck. Came over to talk to me because I’m “that Camaro guy” in our company. He just made a deal on a ZLE. He plans to DD it. I asked him at least a half dozen times if he’d had a chance to drive it first. Says he has and that in his opinion, all the rough ride stuff is overplayed, especially if you are predisposed to driving performance cars, which he definitely is. He’ll be picking it up soon. I’ll check back in with him mid to late March and see how he feels.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A guy on my floor recently had his Charger HC stolen right out of our parking deck. Came over to talk to me because I’m “that Camaro guy” in our company. He just made a deal on a ZLE. He plans to DD it. I asked him at least a half dozen times if he’d had a chance to drive it first. Says he has and that in his opinion, all the rough ride stuff is overplayed, especially if you are predisposed to driving performance cars, which he definitely is. He’ll be picking it up soon. I’ll check back in with him mid to late March and see how he feels.
Maybe it is overplayed. I've never been in a car / on a road where the car bounced me up in the air and my head hit the roof. And I've seen it in several ZL1 1LE review videos. And my assumption is they didn't deliberately look for extremely rough highways.

It seems like the trend with these heavy modern performance cars is to go stiffer and stiffer on the suspension. My Fiesta ST is relatively light at ~2600 lbs, but the suspension is WAAAAY too stiff. Compensation for a top heavy vehicle, I guess. I like the car but I want to swap out the suspension. I can get by in it but it does make the car less enjoyable at times.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
GOOD suspension by definition is not unnecessarily stiff. But we've got a large swath of the buying public convinced that if you don't have the sensation of running over a washboard it must not be "performance". Unfortunately listening to stupid people to guide/influence your engineering is how things go off the rails.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Cheers​
You just seemed so "all in" on a C8, and it's potential performance advantage over a GT500 is equally present for a ZL1. Anyway, good for you!

ZL1? Coupe? 1LE? Manual?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GOOD suspension by definition is not unnecessarily stiff. But we've got a large swath of the buying public convinced that if you don't have the sensation of running over a washboard it must not be "performance". Unfortunately listening to stupid people to guide/influence your engineering is how things go off the rails.
I agree. And the crazy thing is that all the aftermarket is generally going even stiffer. Lower your car a little and stiffen it up even more. :facepalm:
Sponsored