Sponsored

GT500 vs It's competitors: Is it really overprice ?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Right. I was being a little snarky before, and I appreciate your straight forward answer. Let me clarify what I'm trying to say in a more serious fashion. First I will give an example of a similar situation:

So, my regular non R 2016 GT350 was faster on track than a Ferrari F430 Scuderia. It cornered better, braked better, accelerated out of corners better - on track it completely overshadows the F430. That doesn't mean that my GT350 is the same as a Ferrari F430, though. And I'm not going to say it is.

I understand that people who love GM want the C8 to be compared to the Ford GT and other mid-engine exotics. But the C8 isn't really ever going to be the same as the Ford GT. It won't have the features. It won't have the construction materials. It won't have the exclusivity. There are many other things it won't have. There may be an upcoming model of C8 that is better on the street as well as faster on track compared to the Ford GT. It is possible. But the C8 still won't be the same as the GT.

That was my point.
Then you and I are perfectly aligned, my friend. It’s not all about numbers and times.
Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If you go and watch the review by Matt Farah from the smoking tire the car shows excellent balance as expected from a mid engine layout, but that small block has no emotion and sounds like dog shit. I wouldn't consider the C8 until the Z06 comes out with a soul for an engine. Separate note those brakes on the C8 are going to get exposed on heavy track use.
Then you and I are perfectly aligned, my friend. It’s not all about numbers and times.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
If you go and watch the review by Matt Farah from the smoking tire the car shows excellent balance as expected from a mid engine layout, but that small block has no emotion and sounds like dog shit. I wouldn't consider the C8 until the Z06 comes out with a soul for an engine. Separate note those brakes on the C8 are going to get exposed on heavy track use.
Most Stingrays never see track duty. Even Z51 equipped. Grand Sport and Z06 are the ones equipped for track and have the brakes to get it done. Stingrays (like Camaro SS) are track capable and warranty extends to track use, but just like 1LE versions wit Camaro, Grand Sport and Z06 are the ones that get all the track focused content. Just like GT PP2 can be used on track, but track work is better handled by GT350 (especially R) and soon GT500.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I been reading in the Vette forum . Seems to be some pretty disappointed people over there...actually its turning into a dumpster fire rather quickly....generations v generations, people mad about visibility, people mad that the handling is not what it should be...Hell this is civil compared to what I been reading there.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I been reading in the Vette forum . Seems to be some pretty disappointed people over there...actually its turning into a dumpster fire rather quickly....generations v generations, people mad about visibility, people mad that the handling is not what it should be...Hell this is civil compared to what I been reading there.
The c8 is already doing fine they compared it with an equally equipped c7 and it was almost a full second faster.
Basically they compared it to a '19 c7 (7 years of tweaks and improvements) to a completely new c8. The c8 is already a better car just from the mid engine and dct alone.

Ford is taking too long with the GT500, I dont know whats to defend, we get trickle down info. It would be sad if we got official lap times from the c8 before we did with the GT500.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Just heard from a group that went to see a C8 today they sat in it and hated the visibility. Chevy must just not give a damn if you can see outside the car lol.

2 of these guys are a generation ahead of most of us in age, but also have ZR1s, so who really knows.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The issue really isn’t the price if you can get one for msrp. The biggest issue for me is the fact that, you can get damn near the same if not faster “straight line” performance out of boosting a gen 3 car. This isn’t 2004 and boosted a 2 valve to 400whp is the end of the world for the engine. This just me but the gt500 is a reflection of Ford management right now “it’s just good enough, they’ll buy it” instead of trying to push boundaries like they did with the gt350, which also needs more hp. I’m more disappointed with ford than the gt500 itself IMO
you’re pretty retarded if you only saw that as my main argument
Do you even read what you post, your biggest issue is negated entirely

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
The issue really isn’t the price if you can get one for msrp. The biggest issue for me is the fact that, you can get damn near the same if not faster “straight line” performance out of boosting a gen 3 car. This isn’t 2004 and boosted a 2 valve to 400whp is the end of the world for the engine. This just me but the gt500 is a reflection of Ford management right now “it’s just good enough, they’ll buy it” instead of trying to push boundaries like they did with the gt350, which also needs more hp. I’m more disappointed with ford than the gt500 itself IMO
I hear your argument and like I have said on SVTP, I agree with you for the most part.
For the same price point, this car with a twin turbo kit in place of the supercharger, would have been much more acceptable given the wait.
STILL, we are getting a DCT trans (segment first and huge for the taking the performance to the next level) and an engine proven to support 1000hp simply by adding boost and octane.
The Mustang and Cobra/Shelby have always been platform that enthusiasts modify.
I judge a car based on its potential.
As long as this DCT holds added power (and with Tremec reputation and the durability testing its survived), I feel like this car has delivered in the potential and overall passing of the torch.
And even if you don’t like it, Ford probably has succeeded in making a package that will sell as many as they want to make.
-J

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Overpriced? GM's MSRP on the 2014 z/28 was $75K.
As much as I laugh at the price of a z28, 140k for a gt500 is still ridiculous. Maybe if this car was limited like under 4,000 made limited.
ZR1 is in that ballpark. No more front engine rwd manual corvette. Should go up in value granted owner doesnt drive the car... lol
Sponsored