Sponsored

GT500 vs GT350r driving impressions.

If You could buy one tomorrow which would it be?

• Total voters

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
if you don’t think this video is good enough to have on here, then just post below asking me to remove it.

Five complaints and I will ask the mods to take it down. I don’t want to start threads you guys don’t want to see.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
It was more of a spec breakdown. I wanted them to get more into the handling and driving dynamics. Which car would they rather drive? We know the specs the GT500 is going to be much faster, but even in the video you can clearly see the GT350 is not as firm in sport mode and more compliant on bad roads.

I am a manual guy but am coming around to the thought of owning a DCT. Want more on that, would I be bored in 3, 6, or 9 months after owning an automatic?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
It was more of a spec breakdown. I wanted them to get more into the handling and driving dynamics. Which car would they rather drive? We know the specs the GT500 is going to be much faster, but even in the video you can clearly see the GT350 is not as firm in sport mode and more compliant on bad roads.

I am a manual guy but am coming around to the thought of owning a DCT. Want more on that, would I be bored in 3, 6, or 9 months after owning an automatic?
Well everyone is different, but I will chime in with my personal experience with this question.

I built a pretty great Whipple supercharged 2015 GT with a manual. I am not an all out racer, or a racer at all by most standards. I just wanted the funnest driving experience I could get, and not let my ice cream melt in my grocery getter. Well, all the work I did to my car (clutch, DS, axles, bushings, etc...) totally ruined what I was looking for (driving enjoyment). NVH was greatly increased, I could NOT stand the clutch (RXT).

Now, making some friends in the industry, I found myself in a position to be able to install, and advertise a Whipple supercharger on my 2015 F150 Platinum with the A6. I fell in love with driving this 10x's more than my manual mustang. The supercharger, combined with the automatic transmission had me hook, line and sinker.

So, I parted out my 2015 manual GT, traded the car in on a 2017 A6 GT, and went to town on this car. Again, I found myself in love with the supercharger experience through the automatic transmission. But, after some time I can say I DID get bored with the A6.

Enter the GT500. I know there has not been many miles logged on this car yet, but holy crap is this car a different animal when compared to the A6. It only took one drive in it to notice the difference. Yes, it can shift automatically. Yes, it can be shifted with the paddles. What it does do, that the A6 could not, is engage me in the driving experience completely.

I can honestly say, after 17 mustangs, 95% of them manuals, the DTC is a game changer.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
JMEO - your comments make me even more excited. Thanks for sharing your experience!
We have an 03 Cobra and an 02 Miata, Getting enough time with a manual and the clutch on the 03 is a leg press kind of day. The Miata is like a light switch. Not sure I can keep 3 fun cars but will try. The DCT gives me the Grand Tourer Tri- Athlete I'm looking for. Your post helps to confirm that. JP

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Well everyone is different, but I will chime in with my personal experience with this question.

I built a pretty great Whipple supercharged 2015 GT with a manual. I am not an all out racer, or a racer at all by most standards. I just wanted the funnest driving experience I could get, and not let my ice cream melt in my grocery getter. Well, all the work I did to my car (clutch, DS, axles, bushings, etc...) totally ruined what I was looking for (driving enjoyment). NVH was greatly increased, I could NOT stand the clutch (RXT).

Now, making some friends in the industry, I found myself in a position to be able to install, and advertise a Whipple supercharger on my 2015 F150 Platinum with the A6. I fell in love with driving this 10x's more than my manual mustang. The supercharger, combined with the automatic transmission had me hook, line and sinker.

So, I parted out my 2015 manual GT, traded the car in on a 2017 A6 GT, and went to town on this car. Again, I found myself in love with the supercharger experience through the automatic transmission. But, after some time I can say I DID get bored with the A6.

Enter the GT500. I know there has not been many miles logged on this car yet, but holy crap is this car a different animal when compared to the A6. It only took one drive in it to notice the difference. Yes, it can shift automatically. Yes, it can be shifted with the paddles. What it does do, that the A6 could not, is engage me in the driving experience completely.

I can honestly say, after 17 mustangs, 95% of them manuals, the DTC is a game changer.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I hear more and more from Porsche guys and people like you that the DCT still gives you engagement but also better performance and it’s easier to drive in traffic.

I don’t want to turn this into another manual vs auto debate, but this topic really interests me with the DCT. I had a deposit on a C8, which I cancelled, because I checked out after sitting in it and seeing it in person. After a talk with my wife, she knows how much I love manuals, I picked up a lightly used GT350 to tide me over for awhile. I did put a refundable deposit down on the C8 Z06, but now the GT500 has really interested me.

I’m weighing all options. I will be 50 in less than 18 months, so seems like a good time to reconsider an auto car again. But my real hope is to add a Lotus Elise to the stable and I can have my cake and eat it too (Z06 or GT500 with an Elise).

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
None of my Mustangs are daily drivers. So my thoughts are short hops or track related. Here’s a few initial impressions for comparison:
1. ‘09 GT500KR: Had a blast with this car on the track, but it’s a brut in all regards. Even with a Watts Link rear suspension (only mod to the car), that big rear axle dominates the car’s feeling (and it understeers like crazy). Rides nice, even the wife likes to ride in this one. Sounds awesome. Power is immediate cross the rev range.
2. ‘16 GT350 Track Pack: This one is so much fun on the track, I retired the ‘09 to pasture (didn’t want to damage that irreplaceable hood either). It just revs forever and handles like a dream (well balanced). The wife doesn’t like to ride in it as its a bit too low seating for her.
When I added Cup 2 tires, the handling improvement was noticeable. Probably cut >5 seconds per lap at COTA.
3. ‘20 GT500: Oh the POWER and the DCT!
As someone else said, it drives “wider”. I know the front & rear track is essentially the same as the GT350, but the front steering must be limited and those large tires/wheels make it feel like the car is wider.
It’s 1.5” taller than my GT350. When I first put it on the lift is when I noticed this. The 20” tires account for 1/2” of that, and my GT350 has been lowered about 1/2”. But measuring wheel well-to-wheel well, the GT500 is 1.5” taller all around. The front splitter is 5+” off the ground — haven’t scraped it once.
I haven’t had it on the track (COTA next month), so nothing to add in that regard.
There are too many driving impressions to mention, but I’ll call out one that caught my attention: When casually driving, the DCT shifts as smooth as an automatic, to include when slowing down. But if you aggressively brake, the DCT aggressively downshifts as well, like it thinks you are on the track. Very noticeable to me at least - kinda nice! Love that DCT. Wish I had it in the GT350.

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

More on the same idea.

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you're saying you're not going to start any threads ... ?

:crackup:
I can take a joke.

Maybe you’re really on the level I don’t know, either way If you don’t like a thread please feel free to say so.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,

My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't call them second thoughts, my GT500 is being built 3/2/20 but some of the things i
will miss with my GT350

1. Flat Plane Crank
2. Exhaust note
3. Manual Trans
4. Snap Crackle Pop of a down shift
5. Tight steering
6. ad infinitum.............

Wondering how the GT500 will compare in these departments ?? Is it possible its more of a beast than the GT350 ??
I understand the 500 is pure horsepower, the 350 is so much fun to drive fast, can the 500 be as much a gas to drive ??

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
2. Exhaust note
4. Snap Crackle Pop of a down shift
5. Tight steering
6. ad infinitum.............
Wondering how the GT500 will compare in these departments ??
2. Exhaust is deeper and louder. Definitely louder. Can’t imagine what it sounds like with the resonators removed.
4. Sounds from Downshifts are the same
5. Steering is the same (so far, as I haven’t had track time yet)
6. Base stereo is much better that the base GT350; electronic dash is pretty cool; seats are the same.
Sponsored