dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Great article... Thanks for posting it!

This is my next vehicle... already own a 718, the GT4 with the flat 6 is going to be the bomb.
I will miss the VooDoo, but the rest will be substantial enough to make up the difference.
If I wait a little while, I can have both with zero payments............Hmmmmmmmmmm?

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Where are the lap times?
Seriously you go to the track to test those cars and you donā€™t publish lap timesā€¦. Very lame
He posted the comparison for our vehicular enjoyment... not for forum lambasting because it doesn't suit your expectations.. easy big fella, lets thank him for contributing!

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
He posted the comparison for our vehicular enjoyment... not for forum lambasting because it doesn't suit your expectations.. easy big fella, lets thank him for contributing!
????
Was talking about the Hagarty testers, not the posterā€¦.
Thought was obvious ??????
He is not the one that went to the track to test the carsā€¦.and yes, the link is appreciated
And I will repeat what I said, taking 2 track cars to the track to compare them and not posting lap times is very lame

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Would have loved times, but it seems they just drove around with a camera car to get the shots because this insurance provider knew better.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
L
????
Was talking about the Hagarty testers, not the posterā€¦.
Thought was obvious ??????
He is not the one that went to the track to test the carsā€¦.and yes, the link is appreciated
And I will repeat what I said, taking 2 track cars to the track to compare them and not posting lap times is very lame
Lame as hell, don't bother posting crap like that. JMHO

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
This is a great article and it is very accurate on just about all accounts. I can speak from experience regarding the CFTP GT500 vs. Cayman GT4. My last track event was in mid-October with the local PCA group. I brought our 20 CFTP GT500 out to this event and the three quickest car/driver combinations in my run group were my GT500 and two other Cayman GT4s. In summary, the GT4 is a hell of a car and I would get one if a Porsche was in the picture - but I love the obnoxious GT500.

I have been running with these guys all year and we are pretty much at the same level as far as skill goes (intermediate solo). With that said - it honestly felt like a dead even matchup with driver skill being the limiting factor for all of us.

One observation we all noticed though was how much better the stability of the GT500 seemed to be...the GT4 looked like it was holding on for dear life in certain places when I was behind either one. Conversely, the GT4 drivers noticed how composed the GT500 looked when I was in front.

Interestingly too - the straight line acceleration of the GT4 felt pretty well matched against the GT500 - I was not able to suck the paint off of the GT4 in the straightaways unlike just about everything else out there.

One thing that article is absolutely correct on - the GT500 eats tires and fuel like there is no tomorrow. I used roughly 3/4 of a tank every 20 minute session and need new tires after 4 track days.

Here's a photo of me chasing one of them down - I might have some video of this session too. I'll look for it.
gt50041.JPG

My wife was in our Mach 1 that weekend and was arguably giving the other GT4 a run for their money. There she is in the background going for the kill (she got the kill :clap: but really was trying to catch me lol)

gt50042.JPG

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Thank you for posting this

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's amazing to me how good they are at selling cars. I like small cars and I was really thinking about whether I should try to buy a Cayman until they started talking about the GT500.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who loves the combo of a snarling FR American V8 with the precision of a mid-engined German flat 6... These cars complement each other so well. But it's still a bit strange to me to compare them so directly. They feel so different, even if they ultimately have somewhat similar goals. That said, my old S550 GT and my upcoming Mach 1 are still very different beasts from a GT500.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok so they feel like driving a tuned Volkswagen, especially the interior, but that's half the fun.
I learned to drive on a VW bug. I always liked that car and I wouldn't mind having one again, but a hot-rodded version sounds a lot better.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Great article... Thanks for posting it!

This is my next vehicle... already own a 718, the GT4 with the flat 6 is going to be the bomb.
I will miss the VooDoo, but the rest will be substantial enough to make up the difference.
If I wait a little while, I can have both with zero payments............Hmmmmmmmmmm?
Im in the same boat. Ive had the GT350R for years and love it. I know I will miss the Voodoo, but I am looking at the GT4 since it will be a different experience.
Sponsored