Sponsored

GT500 vent on GT hood - what are my options?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Check wreckers for a stock GT hood.

I actually have mine in the basement still, along with my stock tail lights, stock spoiler and stock springs. One never knows when you need / want to swap it back to stock.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If I wasn't tackling heating issues on track, I'd just repair my hood back to pre-booboo.

The extra oil cooler seems to have CHT under control (228F steady).

Another idea is to cut open longer vents at the two OEM side vents and put more functional aftermarket heat extractors there.
Not sure if that would be anywhere as effective as a GT500 solution, which is more inline with the cooler stack.

I like spending reasonable amounts on HPDE mods that make sense, but ~$3k for a painted, striped, PPF new hood is too spendy IMO.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
It's just me, but if I was planning to cut it anyways, I would just wrap it in CF or black vinyl and call it a day. Spending 700 to fix minor cosmetic defect on a hood that is taking all the track drivng beating and abuse seems unnecessary for me. It becomes another consumable at that point šŸ˜

Reactions: GTP
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Check wreckers for a stock GT hood.

I actually have mine in the basement still, along with my stock tail lights, stock spoiler and stock springs. One never knows when you need / want to swap it back to stock.
I considered that too. I really don't want to remove and store a 30sF 60# hood while I race around with a functional one. (One thing constantly missing from my life has been a basement!)

The perfect solution is the $3k turn-key painted functional hood, but I'd like to accomplish it for under half that. Say I pay someone to cut my hood. His bill pushes the total project cost to about the same as the painted turn-key hood, so ...

Guys, please don't think I am shooting down every suggestion - I really appreciate all the ideas and comments, so keep them coming. I don't mind Analysis Paralysis for the time being while I settle on a proper risk/reward final solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It's just me, but if I was planning to cut it anyways, I would just wrap it in CF or black vinyl and call it a day. Spending 700 to fix minor cosmetic defect on a hood that is taking all the track drivng beating and abuse seems unnecessary for me. It becomes another consumable at that point šŸ˜
Very good point!

Maybe I should just run a CF GT500 hood for track season, and then spend the $700 to get my uncut hood back to original?

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Trackspec on mine. I daily drive it, the rain doesn't hurt anything. I have had it on my car for 4 years. I cut my hood myself in my driveway. Measured 19 times to cut once. Lol

20200126_114716.jpg

20200126_124236.jpg

20200126_132703.jpg

20200126_142859.jpg

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Say I pay someone to cut my hood. His bill pushes the total project cost to about the same as the painted turn-key hood, so ...
Cheap grinder is like 40 bucks, if you don't have one already. These hoods are aluminum and are extremely easy and user friendly to cut šŸ˜ . Just sayin.)))

Reactions: GTP

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I will say, I have a vicrez and it looks great. The hood comes with plastic pucks that look like hood pins that fill these kind of reservoirs in the hood where hood pins go. That, to me, is cheesy as hell, so I bought real hood pins and installed them. They WILL NOT work in the position they fit on the hood. You would need to fab metal brackets to change the angle of the pin to make it work. I managed to get the pins to lineup but the angle is so steep in that section of hood the pin wouldnā€™t actually go into the female portion in the hood.

If you donā€™t care about running fake hood pins then this is a non-issue.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I will say, I have a vicrez and it looks great. The hood comes with plastic pucks that look like hood pins that fill these kind of reservoirs in the hood where hood pins go. That, to me, is cheesy as hell, so I bought real hood pins and installed them. They WILL NOT work in the position they fit on the hood. You would need to fab metal brackets to change the angle of the pin to make it work. I managed to get the pins to lineup but the angle is so steep in that section of hood the pin wouldnā€™t actually go into the female portion in the hood.

If you donā€™t care about running fake hood pins then this is a non-issue.
Vicrez fitment is good?
Can you get the standard latch to work?
I don't care for the look of those plastic buttons either.

Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I would look for a takeoff and cut that up OR just do a custom RL shape. I share your thoughts on the squarish shape. I contacted Al and he sent me iterations of a vent with a more rounded radius but it drove the cost up. He did revise the S550 center vent shape to be less square than the original version. I ended up buying it and it is fine with the Trackspec side vents.

Custom shape is still less than buying a new hood plus itā€™s backed with data. Just a thought.
I am interested in pics of the rounded radius vents, and contact information. Can you help with that?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I am interested in pics of the rounded radius vents, and contact information. Can you help with that?
I ended up going with the Gen2 shape. Going back to our email thread this is the difference between the two for the 15-17 S550. Again, if you want more, you can do a custom order with Al and he will send mock ups to make sure it is what you want. I can take a picture of the actual vent when I get home
IMG_3408.jpeg

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vicrez fitment is good?
Can you get the standard latch to work?
I don't care for the look of those plastic buttons either.
Fitment is really good, very happy with it.
Standard latch works great.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a perfectly good (pretty sure) hood in your color. Come out to Virginia to pick it up.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I have a perfectly good (pretty sure) hood in your color. Come out to Virginia to pick it up.
I just made a trip to Dumfrees to visit my aging uncle and his wife. More info welcome.
Sponsored