GT500 style front bumper on MY2018

joshnc101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I bought a pre-painted GT500 bumper from I-5. I love the look, but kind of meh about the quality. The paint on mine is slightly off, but hey, I bought it, half expecting to match anyways. I got it pre-painted since I don’t have time to deal with a body shop to paint it. The build quality of it is the biggest problem I have. Obvious misalignments on the pointy corners at the headlights, and along the edge of the hood. And at some angles, noticeable deformations on some spots on what should be flat surfaces in front of the grills from the molding process or bracing underneath. The PP1 splash guard halfway works. The front and back holes line up, but nothing does at the left/right corners and the rear of where it meets the fender liner. So some work and modifications would have to be done, it’s all plastic so it won’t be hard to deal with and getting the corners secure

I’m being extremely nit picky, but the overall looks of the bumper still completely wins me over. Most people won’t notice the imperfections anyways.

5363D558-2721-41AF-AAC7-DAB19815BECD.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Is anyone else running this with a base belly pan and having issues with fitment under the headlights? I'm seeing some spacing under both headlights and not sure if the belly pan is the culprit (allowing flex from wind resistance), if I just mounted it wrong, or if it's just the bumper itself. Thinking of upgrading to the PP version.
Anyone have a pic on the bottom to see fitment of the belly pan?

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1, 2018 F150 FX4
Vehicle Showcase
My i5 autohause bumper shipped today. Thought it was cool of them to provide pictures of the bumper after paint.

20201221_201447.jpg
Hi Doug, I'm thinking about ordering the same GT500 bumper from i5autohaus, I've read through this thread and apologies if I overlooked it but what was the outcome of this bumper installation on your car? Did it fit your PP1 belly pan and other areas ok? If you had to make adjustments (which seems most people do), what did you do to get it to fit well?

The main reason I'm focuing on this brand is they seem to be the only ones who offer pre-painting. That is a huge bonus to me because I hate dealing with body shops and I really don't want to pre-install to check fitment, uninstall for paint and then reinstall again.

Are you happy with this bumper after a year? In a nutshell, do you recommend it? Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I bought a pre-painted GT500 bumper from I-5. I love the look, but kind of meh about the quality. The paint on mine is slightly off, but hey, I bought it, half expecting to match anyways. I got it pre-painted since I don’t have time to deal with a body shop to paint it. The build quality of it is the biggest problem I have. Obvious misalignments on the pointy corners at the headlights, and along the edge of the hood. And at some angles, noticeable deformations on some spots on what should be flat surfaces in front of the grills from the molding process or bracing underneath. The PP1 splash guard halfway works. The front and back holes line up, but nothing does at the left/right corners and the rear of where it meets the fender liner. So some work and modifications would have to be done, it’s all plastic so it won’t be hard to deal with and getting the corners secure

I’m being extremely nit picky, but the overall looks of the bumper still completely wins me over. Most people won’t notice the imperfections anyways.

5363D558-2721-41AF-AAC7-DAB19815BECD.jpeg
Hi Josh, I just read your post about the i5 GT500 bumper and I just posted a series of questions to someone else on this thread who also has it before I saw your comments. Sounds like it could definitely be better quality but I really wonder if any of the other popular brands of this bumper are any better. Like you said the pre-paint option is a big bonus, which is why I have been focusing on i5 more than the other brands. Seems like you've had it on the car for about 4 or 5 months now, any other issues? In the end are you happy with it, or do you recommend I try another brand and just deal with getting it painted?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
PP
Hi Doug, I'm thinking about ordering the same GT500 bumper from i5autohaus, I've read through this thread and apologies if I overlooked it but what was the outcome of this bumper installation on your car? Did it fit your PP1 belly pan and other areas ok? If you had to make adjustments (which seems most people do), what did you do to get it to fit well?

The main reason I'm focuing on this brand is they seem to be the only ones who offer pre-painting. That is a huge bonus to me because I hate dealing with body shops and I really don't want to pre-install to check fitment, uninstall for paint and then reinstall again.

Are you happy with this bumper after a year? In a nutshell, do you recommend it? Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks in advance!
I got the Vicrez GT500 Bumper and I think they are the same?. I had to use a NON-PP1 Underbelly Pan for a Basic GT. I ordered from my Local Ford dealership. It mounted pretty good, I made some braces for the areas which didn't have a mounting hole to line up. I also pressed in Rivet Nuts and m6x1.0 washer based nuts in all locations where it mounted up. It Looks good. I can take pictures when ever you get ready for the Belly Splash Panel. Good Luck

Sponsored

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Josh, I just read your post about the i5 GT500 bumper and I just posted a series of questions to someone else on this thread who also has it before I saw your comments. Sounds like it could definitely be better quality but I really wonder if any of the other popular brands of this bumper are any better. Like you said the pre-paint option is a big bonus, which is why I have been focusing on i5 more than the other brands. Seems like you've had it on the car for about 4 or 5 months now, any other issues? In the end are you happy with it, or do you recommend I try another brand and just deal with getting it painted?
PP
I got the Vicrez GT500 Bumper and I think they are the same?. I had to use a NON-PP1 Underbelly Pan for a Basic GT. I ordered from my Local Ford dealership. It mounted pretty good, I made some braces for the areas which didn't have a mounting hole to line up. I also pressed in Rivet Nuts and m6x1.0 washer based nuts in all locations where it mounted up. It Looks good. I can take pictures when ever you get ready for the Belly Splash Panel. Good Luck
Ah ok, I referred to the wrong name about the i5 bumper. Thanks for the feedback, the Vicrez units seem pretty good. How much did the non-PP1 belly pan cost? Did you buy from Vicrez unpainted (I didnt see a prepaint option), if so, how much did you spend on getting it painted?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Ah ok, I referred to the wrong name about the i5 bumper. Thanks for the feedback, the Vicrez units seem pretty good. How much did the non-PP1 belly pan cost? Did you buy from Vicrez unpainted (I didnt see a prepaint option), if so, how much did you spend on getting it painted?
Like under $150.
For me, pre painted is never as good as getting a local body shop to do it. That's because pre painted parts are usually only light, one coats which won't last as long. IMHO. Good luck

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I'm looking at doing this in springtime for my 2021 GT Premium.

Have you guys run into the issue like the gentleman who posted the IKON GT500 bumper where it's burning out your wheel wells when you go over 100mphs? If not, how are you getting around it?

Custom vents by the wheels or bracing?

joshnc101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So far it’s been fine. If could do it over, had more time and patience, I would’ve gone with a different brand, and have a good shop paint & install. I can’t get mine to line up perfectly at the hood no matter what I try. So I’m stuck with it for now.

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So far it’s been fine. If could do it over, had more time and patience, I would’ve gone with a different brand, and have a good shop paint & install. I can’t get mine to line up perfectly at the hood no matter what I try. So I’m stuck with it for now.
Ok I appreciate the feedback.. I'm usually impatient but on this one I'm trying to take my time. Decisions, decisions...

Sponsored

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My i5 autohause bumper shipped today. Thought it was cool of them to provide pictures of the bumper after paint.

20201221_201447.jpg
Hi David, I'm thinking about ordering the same GT500 bumper from i5autohaus, I've read through this thread and apologies if I overlooked it but what was the outcome of this bumper installation on your car? Did it fit your PP1 belly pan and other areas ok? If you had to make adjustments (which seems most people do), what did you do to get it to fit well?

Are you happy with this bumper and would you recommend it? Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

PonyBoyee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium OW
Vehicle Showcase
The IKON GT500 I ordered was poorly pre-painted. Looked like 1 thin coat and parts left unpainted (black bits).

I had it re-painted at an additional cost.

I suggest getting a local shop to do it right vs IKON (or expect to re-do it in a couple of years)

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The IKON GT500 I ordered was poorly pre-painted. Looked like 1 thin coat and parts left unpainted (black bits).

I had it re-painted at an additional cost.

I suggest getting a local shop to do it right vs IKON (or expect to re-do it in a couple of years)
Thanks for the feedback. That's what I've been hearing from multiple people. Definitely sounds like having a shop do it is the way to go.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Have any of you guys run into the issue with wind pressure pushing your wheel lining into your front wheels and burning holes in them? Before I order looking to resolve this issue :)

PonyBoyee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium OW
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of you guys run into the issue with wind pressure pushing your wheel lining into your front wheels and burning holes in them? Before I order looking to resolve this issue :)
Not having that issue, but I'm still getting something fabricated to reduce wind pressure. The GT500 aftermarket bumper is missing something the oem bumper includes.

It creates a few different issues for me.

I can see my hood flexing sometimes and my car sometimes hiccups like it is going to stall when I hit a long light after a "spirited" run. I replaced the plugs, coils and sensor with no change. I'm starting to think the extreme air pressure is messing with the fuel mix and causing the sensor to not handle the extreme range. possible??

I remember seeing someone custom fabricated a plastic 'plate' behind the grill? think it was here.

Regardless of my issues, I LOVE the front-end look and pray for it to be stock on the nex gen 650 ;-)
Sponsored