Sponsored

GT500 Quik Latch for the GT350R

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
OK, so I had the QuikLatch 50 latches installed on my 2019 GT350R Today. A better than perfect install by Justin at Cantrell Motorsports. Just to recap .......I purchased the QL 50 kit from QuikLatch. the kit comes with the lower adjustable pins and the top hood latch mechanism. I also purchased (at great expense) the bottom latch pice which has a round mounting plate and a fixed length latch rod that is not made by QuikLatch but according to the QuikLatch folks is made bt Ford Racing. It is a unique mount plate that enables the fixed length rod to have about a 15 degree moment in its seated base. This enables the rod to seat in the upper latch even if it its not exactly lined up. Honestly I was hoping the shop would just use the Ford part as a template so I could return them as the two base plates were over $800.00 .
There are several locations that one can mount the QL-50 latch, but in my option the factory location on the carbon fiber radiator mount that is common to the 2019+ GT350 and the 2020 GT500 is by far preferable. As it turns out the GT500 latch base (with only minor shimming on the drivers side, fits perfectly hight wise and on the GT350. The corresponding location on the hood is also ideal as there are two layers of aluminum that are very closely aligned and flat (unlike other location under the hood where the two layers can be have as much as an inch separation, and have contours to deal with). Notes from the installer:

Went over hood pin hardware and mounting options for best function and clean fit.

Used the factory GT500 pins on the core support. Went to hardware store and found flanged threaded inserts commonly used for a furniture application biut in stainless steel. Was able to trim them down to the proper height to match the thickness of the core support. They have small teeth that bite into the carbon material. Was able to insert them one at a time through the center hole then align and set them into place without having to cut any additional access holes in the core support.

Marked underside of hood where pins will meet. After making a pilot hole I used a 2 1/4" hole saw to cut a relief in the bend on the underside of hood to allow the retaining collar to sit flush. Cut the top layer of hood with a 1 3/8" hole saw and cleaned up with edges with a sanding drum for a tight fit. Installed quick release button latches and checked operation and alignment.

The attached pictures show the bottom pin placement, top latch from under the hood, and placement with the hood closed. Also worth noting the seems on the hood are perfect and hood itself is now very solid. When you close the hood all three(factory center latch and two new QL-50 latches engage simultaneously . All in all it is a better than OEM fitment and set up. Also note in the pictures the black factory decal on the bottom side of the hood adjacent to the latch. I read in a couple of postings that people hypothesized that those decals were potential drilling locations for the latches. They clearly are not!!
enjoy!
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown-5.jpeg
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown-5.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
Looks awesome and functions perfectly. I guess I need to buy the core support.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
Looks awesome and functions perfectly. I guess I need to buy the core support.
Thanks, Yes it did come out very well. As it turns out the toughest part was securing the base plate with the radiator support in place. We believe it would be simpler with the bumper skin removed. Should have more access to that location. I believe they but the base plates at the factory as part of the staging in assembling the front end.

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
That’s the only way to do this job.
Not the only way, but probably the simplest way. Either way it is worth the effort in my opinion........

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350 whipple charged, 1972 Camaro SS pro touring
Thanks, Yes it did come out very well. As it turns out the toughest part was securing the base plate with the radiator support in place. We believe it would be simpler with the bumper skin removed. Should have more access to that location. I believe they but the base plates at the factory as part of the staging in assembling the front end.
Awesome!!!!! Very clean

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Great work. So much for being told by QL that the gt500 lower wont fit the ql50 receiver. For anyone with the gt500 radiator support this is the way yo go!

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Great work. So much for being told by QL that the gt500 lower wont fit the ql50 receiver. For anyone with the gt500 radiator support this is the way yo go!

These are the fasteners used to secure the QL-50 base in the radiator mount. As I mentioned access is challenging but he was able to do it. Her is some more commentary from the installer.
see the picture:
These are stainless steel. 1/4” x 20 thread.
Forget the proper name but are commonly used for furniture through bolt assembly.
They were 3/8” deep. Shaved them to 1/8” from the inside face of flange and trimmed the fingers to bite just enough without splitting the carbon up.
This worked well. Installation is a challenge.
I’m sure we could come up with a simpler method with enough time to make a custom backing plat
e.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
These are the fasteners used to secure the QL-50 base in the radiator mount. As I mentioned access is challenging but he was able to do it. Her is some more commentary from the installer.
see the picture:
These are stainless steel. 1/4” x 20 thread.
Forget the proper name but are commonly used for furniture through bolt assembly.
They were 3/8” deep. Shaved them to 1/8” from the inside face of flange and trimmed the fingers to bite just enough without splitting the carbon up.
This worked well. Installation is a challenge.
I’m sure we could come up with a simpler method with enough time to make a custom backing plat
e.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg

How do you think a thread setter tool would work. I have that tool and it has worked well on other proects.

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
How do you think a thread setter tool would work. I have that tool and it has worked well on other proects.
Don't know? Have to really take a close look at how to attache a homemade mounting plate for the adjustable post if you go that route.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
That looks great !!!

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Final product came out looking good. Kudos to you and the shop.
Sponsored