Sponsored

GT500 mufflers and resonated X

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have this setup? Pre-13 mufflers.

The exhaust thread with the videos keeps crashing my computer so I can't sift through it.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I recently installed GT500 mufflers on my '15 and I also have the Lethal resonator delete H-pipe. Can't get enough of the sound. I did the work myself and I can say it requires cutting and welding.

The inlet pipes have to be cut off the GT500 mufflers and a 3'' section of your existing pipes has to be cut out and the pipes welded back together near the last bend in the pipe. This is due to the GT500 mufflers inlet at the muffler is off to the inner side rather than the center of the muffler. Your existing pipes need a couple of inches cut off the very end and they get inserted into the GT500 mufflers then welded. This is due to the GT500 mufflers being overall longer.

Also, the rear hanger rod on the GT500 mufflers must be cut off and moved over about 1/2'' to keep the tips centered. I know others have done this without cutting and re-welding the hanger rod, but for a perfect OEM fit it must be done, I know, I've done the work myself.

There are guys with these mufflers installed that have their tips pointing slightly upward and the mufflers not in the proper OEM position. They look ok, but not correct. Take the time and do it right, the sound is nothing short of amazing.

Keep in mind convertibles require a slightly different approach due to the rear pipes being different due to the added bracing on convertible cars. I would recommend a non resonated X or consider the H because it's pure sex.

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the Magnaflow Tru-X Resonated X pipe. I have the Pypes Street Pro axlebacks which is a quieter deep sounding setup. The Resonated X pipe was added after Christmas and it quiets things down and provides a deep rich muscle car sound. I didn’t really have much in the way of drone with just the Pypes setup but the Resonated X is supposed to calm that down if you have it. I got it in preparation for adding LTs. I don’t want to end up with too loud of an exhaust and hopefully with what I have now, that won’t be an issue.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 mufflers and H-pipe have zero drone

OP
OP
Austinj427

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed GT500 mufflers on my '15 and I also have the Lethal resonator delete H-pipe. Can't get enough of the sound. I did the work myself and I can say it requires cutting and welding.

The inlet pipes have to be cut off the GT500 mufflers and a 3'' section of your existing pipes has to be cut out and the pipes welded back together near the last bend in the pipe. This is due to the GT500 mufflers inlet at the muffler is off to the inner side rather than the center of the muffler. Your existing pipes need a couple of inches cut off the very end and they get inserted into the GT500 mufflers then welded. This is due to the GT500 mufflers being overall longer.

Also, the rear hanger rod on the GT500 mufflers must be cut off and moved over about 1/2'' to keep the tips centered. I know others have done this without cutting and re-welding the hanger rod, but for a perfect OEM fit it must be done, I know, I've done the work myself.

There are guys with these mufflers installed that have their tips pointing slightly upward and the mufflers not in the proper OEM position. They look ok, but not correct. Take the time and do it right, the sound is nothing short of amazing.

Keep in mind convertibles require a slightly different approach due to the rear pipes being different due to the added bracing on convertible cars. I would recommend a non resonated X or consider the H because it's pure sex.
I guess that's that.

I'm going to have a muffler shop do the work. I probably could do it myself but I really don't have a great place to do the work and while I have a lot of hours behind a welder, it's been 5 years since I've even touched one.

I got a hold of some 09 GT500 take offs from a guy on another forum for a decent deal. I'll take your advice and run an H pipe (I was between that and a resonated x).

Thanks for the reply.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard a lot of muffler shops don't like to touch this kind of job. If you run into any problems PM me and I can send you some pics and details if the shop needs it. I also wouldn't want to attempt this without having my lift. My buddies and me agreed it was a fun job, but takes a little while.
Sponsored