Sponsored

GT500 Most Difficult To Detail?

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Probably like many of you I've been detailing cars most of my life. Through high school and college I did detail work for dealerships and auto shows. Love to detail cars. All the cars in my garage are always clean and look great (winter be damned!).

So I get this new GT500 CFTP. Wow is it a challenge to detail. Water pools around the wickers, under the spoiler, on the trunk lid, by the windshield wipers and of course on that darned rain tray. I thought it took a long time to dry my truck after a wash. Child's play compared to the GT500.

Just to be clear I do use a water blade when I'm done washing and have 2 huge drying towels from Griot's Garage (must have BTW).

Positive note - when it's cleaned there is no prettier car around.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Ditch the water blade

OP
OP
PUR_SPD

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Yikes - you guys are pretty harsh on the water blade. As the car is ceramic and Xpel coated I feel pretty safe with it. Tried a leaf blower on the Audi and that took even more time so it gets a thumbs down.

Sponsored

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
Nothing touches the paint of any of my cars during drying. Doesn't sound like you used the right kind of electric blower. A good hydrophobic coating (EXOv4 etc) makes it much easier too.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Those Griots t=
Yikes - you guys are pretty harsh on the water blade. As the car is ceramic and Xpel coated I feel pretty safe with it. Tried a leaf blower on the Audi and that took even more time so it gets a thumbs down.
Those Griots towels (the large gray ones), you should be able to dry the car quickly with those, or at least get most of the water off with them to then go back and touch up spots

Sponsored

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
No offense but water blades should be outlawed.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Rinse, foam cannon, rinse, another foam layer with wheels this time. Then final rinse on everything with filtered water. Air force blower on the way but mainly just for the wheels and brakes, and drip spots like lights and mirrors. The filtered water dries spotlessly 99.5% of the time.

I don't find it that difficult. Done plenty of other cars before with similar methods and/or two bucket for dirtier cars.

Edit: FWIW I have full xpel ultimate ppf on the car as well as ceramic on the calipers and soon to be mounted wheels. P&S or Adams make good non-acid wheel/tire cleaner for non-ceramic coated wheels.

Last edited:

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
My car is ceramic coated (no ppf) and water pretty much rolls off. However, I do have a spot free water system so in case I don't even want to dry it, if there are any drops, they leave no spots. I also have a dual motor Master Blaster blower to dry off the car which is what I usually do. I rarely use a towel on the paint.

IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
My car is ceramic coated (no ppf) and water pretty much rolls off. However, I do have a spot free water system so in case I don't even want to dry it, if there are any drops, they leave no spots. I also have a dual motor Master Blaster blower to dry off the car which is what I usually do. I rarely use a towel on the paint.

IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg
Seems we have almost the exact same set up. Same water system and everything.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
For once, I'm in the same league as Mark (@marklboris). <laughing>

I installed a whole house water system about ten years ago and just rejuvenated everything with new beads, carbon, and pre/post Big Blue filters. I am pretty sure I have some of the cleanest water in town.

1605007295132.png

I don't have an Air Force blower, <smiling> (I'd never heard of such a thing but the Navy in me thinks it's kinda humorous.) I just walk around with the blowgun and hose.

As for towels on paint, I'm here to express the opinion that with the right towels, there are no worries about scratches. I absolutely love these waffle-weave, MF drying towels. You can find them from various suppliers and I prefer the 24" x 36" size.

1605007683888.png
Sponsored