Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I finally had the Opportunity to get the Mach-E and GT500 out to Sonoma Raceway Recently. The guys at Hooked On Driving and Turn 2 were very welcoming and both cars got a lot of attention. Talk about two completely different driving experiences.
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-07.jpg

I did a larger writeup of my experience with the Mach-E that got picked up by Auto Evolution Online. You can check that out here: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...s-to-the-track-not-bad-for-an-suv-165256.html
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-19.jpg

SV504 GT500 Sonoma Raceway-5.jpg

The Mach-E was actually pretty fun to bring on track. It was a bit of a dance managing my battery. I lost about 30% of my charge getting to Sonoma and another 30% while on track. Only getting one session in provided some good results. Low slung weight and the AWD made the car feel fairly smooth on track. Not as much body roll as you would think and if you take your corners right you can really get flowing. At lower charge levels I have a suspicion there may be some behind the scenes battery management. I did not experience that EV jolt of speed as I exited out of the apex as I had hoped. 20x9.5 Square Signature Wheel Track Series SV502 paired with 275 Yokohama Advan kept me out of understeer for the most part. Definitely worth a little more seat time at a track that has charging stations on site. Also need to get it back out with traction control off and see if it gets hairy.
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-17.jpg
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-26.jpg
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-25.jpg

The GT500 on the other hand was an animal. Rolling on the 4S tires at Sonoma Raceway really leaves you wanting more grip so you can carry greater speeds through some of the slower turns. It has been a while since I tracked the car but the added aero from Archetype Racing had the car feeling very planted. Its been a while since I tracked the car so its hard to compare the aero benefits now to when it was stock. The Racing Brake Carbon Ceramics hold up well, but I can tell the more aggressive track compound pads will be much better at managing this big girl at speed. This street compound has been marvelous for spirited driving, but I want to get deeper into those braking zones. The 20x11.5 square Signature Wheel Track Series SV504 and 315 square Pilot 4S kept the car planted.I only had two sessions in the GT500 before calling it at a day, and this car needs an all day thrashing.
SV504 GT500 Sonoma Raceway-4.jpg

SV504 GT500 Sonoma Raceway-7.jpg
SV504 GT500 Sonoma Raceway-9.jpg

My next big thing to work on is just getting more seat time. I really need experience with knowing when my tires are at the limit, and how much further they can be pushed. I am always avoiding going off track, but to an extent you have to push yourself a bit to find out how far you and the equipment can go. I really respect those guys that have built up the track knowledge to really send a car through turns.
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-08.jpg
SV504 GT500 Sonoma Raceway-2.jpg
SV504 GT500 Sonoma Raceway-3.jpg
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-01.jpg
SV502 Mach E Sonoma Raceway-05.jpg

While incredibly fun, all of this R&D is done to help with the street and track builds we later produce for all of you. I hope you are enjoying this automotive lifestyle as much as I do.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Mach E on track?

pawahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Figures that instead of saying thank you for a very informative thread the first poster has to go negative on the Mach-E. We really should make this an adults only forum. :facepalm:

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Figures that instead of saying thank you for a very informative thread the first poster has to go negative on the Mach-E. We really should make this an adults only forum. :facepalm:
I won’t apologize for my views on the Mach E.

It’s an insult to the mustang name and that’s just a fact. If that makes me a non adult I’m ok with it.

by the way i enjoyed the write up on the GT500 and great pictures!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I won’t apologize for my views on the Mach E.

It’s an insult to the mustang name and that’s just a fact. If that makes me a non adult I’m ok with it.

by the way i enjoyed the write up on the GT500 and great pictures!
What views? All you did was laugh. You do not need to apologize for anything as you are entitled to an opinion. But just laughing is just childish. And insulting to OP.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
The Mach-E is a disgrace and you know it.

TMC GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT500, ‘18 Jeep GC Trackhawk
Great write up. I am just curious why you have such a track focused set up (splitter, wing, CCBs) but ran with the street tires on the track.

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the write-up! Always interesting to hear about new cars and technology being tested on a track.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Thanks for taking the time to write up your track experience.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
It's no surprise the Mach-E out performed the GT500 in everyway!
The Mach-E outperformed the GT500 in what way? By what measurement?

The measure the OP posted is that the Mach-E only ran one lap session.
If you read the linked article, they posted that the Mach-E topped out at 88mph, and the driver cut off the lap session at 17 minutes due to low charge.
Sponsored