GT500 dual clutch tremec auto vs manual trans opinions

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Iam sure there are threads on the differences. Buying a 20 CFTP and have come from the manual GT350R. Iam a hardcore manual guy and going to the dual clutch tremec auto what opinions do any of you have coming from manual mustangs. Will I forget all about being a manual guy after driving the 500? Pluses, minuses if any lol. Just really curious on the opinions is all. Getting too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Here we go......

Me, like you, was very much into the manual. You are going to LOVE the DCT. Driving around in normal or sport mode seems to have a bias for low RPMs and that kills instant accelerations. Do yourself a favor, when you want to get up and go, double tap the downshift paddle and step on it. It reminds me of T-38 afterburner takeoffs.

Do what I did and keep both the R and have a CFTP. Best of both worlds.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford just announced a convertible version of the 2018 GT500 with a 7 speed manual for MY 2022. Power has been reduced "to meet more stringent emissions requirements" and the car will be unavailable in California due to exhaust particulate causing cancer there. Proof of covid vaccination will allow the car to exceed 200mph. The IRS is handling allocations and will be monitoring the transaction with your dealer and your bank or lending institution via a live connection to ensure gender neutrality standards are met.

We've peaked gentlemen. It's all downhill from here...

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Here we go......

Me, like you, was very much into the manual. You are going to LOVE the DCT. Driving around in normal or sport mode seems to have a bias for low RPMs and that kills instant accelerations. Do yourself a favor, when you want to get up and go, double tap the downshift paddle and step on it. It reminds me of T-38 afterburner takeoffs.

Do what I did and keep both the R and have a CFTP. Best of both worlds.
Hahahaha. Been awhile Tom. Hope your well. Mike and Jaime two friends of mine on here that have 500's both said go for it you wont be disappointed. Was just curious is all on the opinions and remarks. Found a Rapid red metallic with tinted clearcoat with black painted stripes. Looks awesome.

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ford just announced a convertible version of the 2018 GT500 with a 7 speed manual for MY 2022. Power has been reduced "to meet more stringent emissions requirements" and the car will be unavailable in California due to exhaust particulate causing cancer there. Proof of covid vaccination will allow the car to exceed 200mph. The IRS is handling allocations and will be monitoring the transaction with your dealer and your bank or lending institution via a live connection to ensure gender neutrality standards are met.

We've peaked gentlemen. It's all downhill from here...
:cwl::cwl::cwl: too funny. I see you two have been at it for awhile now. Remember the both of you. Been away a bit for myself but back into the fold again. Couldnt stay gone forever. Here to stay.

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Iam sure there are threads on the differences. Buying a 20 CFTP and have come from the manual GT350R. Iam a hardcore manual guy and going to the dual clutch tremec auto what opinions do any of you have coming from manual mustangs. Will I forget all about being a manual guy after driving the 500? Pluses, minuses if any lol. Just really curious on the opinions is all. Getting too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks
Only thing worse than a ADM thread is a DCT vs Manual thread. Watch this sucker unfold

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Track the 500 and you'll quickly see how good the DCT is.

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
so...I been around cars a long time and work for Ford in management. In my signature you can see i built or should I say raped a 15 GT lol. I know how superior the DCT is, I just been driving manuals for so long and love it. Not trying to iritate people with the thread. Give good opinions and info. If you have something good, funny, constructive to say have at it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What is even more amazing is how the car puts the power down on the track. If you over do it, it is very forgiving. It will step out and with a minor correction, put you right back in the fight.

The car is amazing. You will not regret it, but it will be a different experience.

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What is even more amazing is how the car puts the power down on the track. If you over do it, it is very forgiving. It will step out and with a minor correction, put you right back in the fight.

The car is amazing. You will not regret it, but it will be a different experience.
Looking forward to it Tom...

Sponsored

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
You asked a question only you can truly answer. Drive it and then tell us.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
This * 1000. Just go drive one. I've yet to see a single person be unimpressed by the DCT but who knows. Maybe you will be the first one.

j.footit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 HP
people say they prefer manuals for the engagement, but I would argue that because the DCT allows you to go and maintain faster speeds, and allows for everything to happen so much quicker, that it ultimately engages you even more. I was way more white knuckled in my 500 than I ever was in a manual. Coupled with the visceral engagement the car gives you overall, it's the clear winner in my book.

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
True. And I will. just engaging those that may have came from a manual to the 500 DCT. I have been reading others posts as well. Should have the car within a week.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I prefer the manual in my GT350 to the PDK in my Cayman by a long shot. The Cayman (2021 GT4 excluded) is not, and never will be in the same class as the GT500, but the specs on my GT350 and my Cayman are fairly close.
The PDK becomes boring too quickly and too often. The Tremec NEVER becomes boring!
My take on this is that a manual gives you multiple acceleration events while getting up to speed, as where a DCT shifts so smooth and quick, that you feel one continuous acceleration until you let off once the desired speed is reached.
If my Cayman had the torque of the GT500, I may be singing a different tune. The GT4 is on my list.
Just my thoughts... everyone will have their own opinion (which is a good thing).
Sponsored