Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
What is that torque spec?
If I remember correctly, it was 24 nm. It is stated on the filter housing though.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
While I don't have a problem doing it myself, they already had the car in the air anyway, and I was standing beside the tech the entire time, he did it by the book.

Outside of the oil and filer, Ford is only charging $13 to perform the oil change. Well worth it if you trust your mechanic and in my case you're there with him anyway.
What dealership service dept is allowing a customer to stay under the car with the tech?
Their insurance coverage , this is a big no no.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What dealership service dept is allowing a customer to stay under the car with the tech?
Mine does, at least for me.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Mine does, that's how I got all the pics. I took them myself while talking with the shop foreman as he worked on my car.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't think the dealer is paying retail for materials do you?

Their cost on oil and filters is probably half (or better) than what a retail consumer pays. Even retail buyers can get much better pricing if you're able to buy large quantities. But who wants to buy oil by the drum or pallet?

I'm not above paying someone else premium prices for valuable service, but between the horror stories and me just wanting to get under the car and get an update for what's going on, I prefer to change fluids myself. With spent lubricant drop-off locations it's really not that big of a hassle.

I'm fact, if you consider the time it takes driving to and from wherever you'd have it changed, you're at the very least not saving as much time as you'd think. If you're not able to so something productive while you wait, it's almost certainly costing you more time (and money) to have someone else do it.
This would be a valid point if I could buy the oil at the same price as Ford. All things being equal, with the price I would have to pay for the oil and filter itself as a consumer the oil change itself costs very little.

Compound that with the fact I took two conference calls and answered numerous emails while there using the dealer's wifi since I can work anywhere the only loss I would have is the fuel to get there and back and any fuel used by the Shelby so far has been anything but a waste. It's all curvy backroads there and back for me, the perfect drive.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This would be a valid point if I could buy the oil at the same price as Ford. All things being equal, with the price I would have to pay for the oil and filter itself as a consumer the oil change itself costs very little.

Compound that with the fact I took two conference calls and answered numerous emails while there using the dealer's wifi since I can work anywhere the only loss I would have is the fuel to get there and back and any fuel used by the Shelby so far has been anything but a waste. It's all curvy backroads there and back for me, the perfect drive.
It's all good. Everyone does their own individual value assessment.

For my daily, because I'm not as sensitive about who changes it, I'll go to wal mart and have them do it while I'm shopping. Not only do they change the oil but for mounting tires there (like $18 each) I get lifetime rotation so they can knock it all out much quicker than I can and for near the same price.

I can buy an oil change kit for right around $110 shipped for my 350. I realize you guys run a little more oil but I wouldn't think it would be more than $125 for a kit from either kman or other retailers online.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

For my daily, because I'm not as sensitive about who changes it, I'll go to wal mart and have them do it while I'm shopping. Not only do they change the oil but for mounting tires there (like $18 each) I get lifetime rotation so they can knock it all out much quicker than I can and for near the same price.

I can buy an oil change kit for right around $110 shipped for my 350. I realize you guys run a little more oil but I wouldn't think it would be more than $125 for a kit from either kman or other retailers online.
You may be right, the only oil change kit that I found for our cars was $199 from LMR. Highly possible it is cheaper elsewhere.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6731AC/motorcraft-mustang-gt500-oil-change-kit-2020

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG

YIKES! Even for my daily, I would not trust Wal-Mart to change my oil.

I sometimes take mine to Jiffy Lube for state inspections, but I normally just use my local dealership.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
YIKES! Even for my daily, I would not trust Wal-Mart to change my oil.

I sometimes take mine to Jiffy Lube for state inspections, but I normally just use my local dealership.
Jiffy lube hires the same mechanics as Wal Mart. It's a risk dropping your car off to anyone really and I've seen way more dealer service horror stories than any of the big chain maintenance shops.

When I want 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter, if I'm going to drop it off, I'm taking the same risk whether it's Jiffy or Goodyear or the dealer. My mustang on the other hand, I really don't want anyone working on it other than me and a top end speed shop (for things I simply can't do myself).

I don't have mounting and balancing machines, so I can't mount my own tires, but regardless of who does them, I still loosen and torque the lugs, check the stem caps (which is a 50% chance they lose them so I try to remove them prior if repurposing) etc. Even big name shops (like Tire Kingdom or the dealer) I've found lugs that were loose.

I guess my point is, I care more about my mustang, the other stuff, i go into it eyes open that they're employing average technicians. And that includes the dealership.

Vics Shelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500 2020 Ford Fusion 2011 Ford Focus
In the last 40 plus years ive been driving I have never had my oil changed by anybody but myself that way I now the job was done right.
Buy the oil and filter and do it yourself. I have read so many horror stories about dealership oil changes
Sponsored