GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Wing interest

toothdkdr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
david
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R oxford white
If I can get 6+ people (Currently I have 3 including Tom) the price can drop to 3-3200, but under 6, 3800 would it the point. As I said I spoke with him about the specs that it had to do 175+ and 450 pounds of downforce and he said it would be oem specs. As for it it will have a foam core or a hollow core, this wasn't discussed, but can be when we speak on 6/3 depending on where we are at.

Tom I dont know this so I have to rely on you or whoever else, do we know for sure that the OEM wing indeed has a foam core or is this speculation? I dont know what to tell my guy something that may or may not exist.

***To Everyone else***

If there are questions please feel free to ask so I can have them answered on 6/3 if this all goes through. I have already been asked to see if the wing can be made in forged carbon-fiber, so we have our first question. All questions will be added to the main post to keep track.

If we do proceed on 6/3:

I am reaching out here on this post to @toothdkdr, if you are still in the market for the wing, I will reserve the 1st one for you, as you and I have talked for awhile about this and you getting shafted so many times I feel you should be offered the first one, if this does happen and you do want it please let me know. If you do not, then its first come first serve.
I just gave up on the AC wing and got my refund, thanks for thinking of me but I might have a chance to get an OEM wing at a good price, just going to sit on it for a while and see what happens. Looks like it will be at least another 3 months for your guy to get the first one manufactured.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I just gave up on the AC wing and got my refund, thanks for thinking of me but I might have a chance to get an OEM wing at a good price, just going to sit on it for a while and see what happens. Looks like it will be at least another 3 months for your guy to get the first one manufactured.
Understood, if anything changes let me know.

And yes, as stated in the main post it would take approx. that for the prototype to be made. This would end up being a Fall arrival.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ive been thinking about it. If its going to essentially the same wing as AC (hollow), then Im in at 3K shipped max. I could make one of these wings. The mounts would be a PITA, but the wing isn't that difficult.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ive been thinking about it. If its going to essentially the same wing as AC (hollow), then Im in at 3K shipped max. I could make one of these wings. The mounts would be a PITA, but the wing isn't that difficult.
I dont think 3K shipped is going to happen, but I could be wrong, I still dont know the possible shipping costs, as for being the same as AC which seems to be the replica I was told by my place that AC uses "wet" carbon fiber my place uses dry (what that means I have no clue) Also one of the main issues was AC claimed 130+ MPH (which funny now claims 165+ because I guess someone tracked it once)

Also take into consideration I or my place isnt AC I reached out to fill that void that AC dropped the ball in. No disrespect Tom but 3K shipped would seem out of reach at this point unless there was a major interest, like I said 6+.

And this may all fall through, if the people interested isnt there I'm not going forward with maybe's, it has to be a solid yes for me to consider this venture. Like I said the wing will be to OEM specs no less.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The biggest questions people will have is “how long”. Will these be made in batches or one at a time? That’s the biggest gripe with AC is they don’t produce them at the rate they are being demanded at. Many people will be hesitant to plop down $3K only to have to wait a year to get their product. Start up costs for stuff like this is usually why things like this don’t happen often. A few hand made wings are so cost prohibitive unless the manufacturer has the bandwidth to tackle a project like this. Prototypes require a lot of time and money and no guarantees the final result will be production ready.
All these issues were why I initially broached this subject with Terrance since he has a shop doing the Python vents and can push them out in batches. However, he’s got a lot on his plate and admitted it could be far down the road before he could tackle this one.
I’m a buyer at $3K. Much more than that and I could get an Archetype wing.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I am going out on a limb and say it will be hollow as well, unless we are absolutely sure there is foam inside.

I am working on keeping it in that range, honestly if I can get 6+ 3K would be the price point.

The two heights sizes has been discussed, we are going to look into this up to 8 inches in height (Which I believe the multimatic is this height). As well as the uprights being made in Aluminium as I said has been discussed, right now unless something changes we are looking to get the wing and the current size done then we can work on autocadding taller brackets.

Just putting it out there I need a serious committed head count by 6/3 so I know if this will come to fruition.
Don’t need a wing

100% will buy OE style Multimatic height uprights .

TY

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I dont think 3K shipped is going to happen, but I could be wrong, I still dont know the possible shipping costs, as for being the same as AC which seems to be the replica I was told by my place that AC uses "wet" carbon fiber my place uses dry (what that means I have no clue) Also one of the main issues was AC claimed 130+ MPH (which funny now claims 165+ because I guess someone tracked it once)

Also take into consideration I or my place isnt AC I reached out to fill that void that AC dropped the ball in. No disrespect Tom but 3K shipped would seem out of reach at this point unless there was a major interest, like I said 6+.

And this may all fall through, if the people interested isnt there I'm not going forward with maybe's, it has to be a solid yes for me to consider this venture. Like I said the wing will be to OEM specs no less.
Then I'm out. The process isn't that complex. Take a foam core, and either wrap it in CF or Fiberglass and paint it. I used to do that kind of work. 3k is a stretch.

Thank you though.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I dont think 3K shipped is going to happen, but I could be wrong, I still dont know the possible shipping costs, as for being the same as AC which seems to be the replica I was told by my place that AC uses "wet" carbon fiber my place uses dry (what that means I have no clue)
Wet CF is where they lay the carbon weave over a core and then slather on resin. Then they seal it and create a vacuum which pulls the resin into the fibers and also leaves resin on top giving it a very glossy shine. This is the method Seibon, AC, and many others use as it’s the cheapest.
Dry cf has the resin built into the weave and the form is heated in an autoclave. It is structurally superior to wet cf but also more time consuming and thereby more expensive.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The biggest questions people will have is “how long”. Will these be made in batches or one at a time? That’s the biggest gripe with AC is they don’t produce them at the rate they are being demanded at. Many people will be hesitant to plop down $3K only to have to wait a year to get their product. Start up costs for stuff like this is usually why things like this don’t happen often. A few hand made wings are so cost prohibitive unless the manufacturer has the bandwidth to tackle a project like this. Prototypes require a lot of time and money and no guarantees the final result will be production ready.
All these issues were why I initially broached this subject with Terrance since he has a shop doing the Python vents and can push them out in batches. However, he’s got a lot on his plate and admitted it could be far down the road before he could tackle this one.
I’m a buyer at $3K. Much more than that and I could get an Archetype wing.
As I said if I can get at least 6 people it would be 3K +shipping, 1, 2 or 3 cant, the mold after its digitally scanned is a lot from what I was told.

Don’t need a wing

100% will buy OE style Multimatic height uprights .

TY
Uprights aren't the focus currently, its more the wing, but the uprights have been discussed.

Then I'm out. The process isn't that complex. Take a foam core, and either wrap it in CF or Fiberglass and paint it. I used to do that kind of work. 3k is a stretch.

Thank you though.
Sorry Tom, but AC is over 3K with tax and I dont know what they charge for shipping, again I am not AC, and I'm trying to help out.

Wet CF is where they lay the carbon weave over a core and then slather on resin. Then they seal it and create a vacuum which pulls the resin into the fibers and also leaves resin on top giving it a very glossy shine. This is the method Seibon, AC, and many others use as it’s the cheapest.
Dry cf has the resin built into the weave and the form is heated in an autoclave. It is structurally superior to wet cf but also more time consuming and thereby more expensive.
Thanks for the info, maybe that helps others on the fence about the wing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sorry Tom, but AC is over 3K with tax and I dont know what they charge for shipping, again I am not AC, and I'm trying to help out.
Love you like a brutha from anuthu mutha, but that is not correct. In fact the specs are off too. Its 550# of downforce, rated at 180 mph. And the wing costs $2947 after taxes and shipping from Lethal.

Edit:
I misspelled anutha

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Love you like a brutha from anuthu mutha, but that is not correct. In fact the specs are off too. Its 550# of downforce, rated at 180 mph. And the wing costs $2947 after taxes and shipping from Lethal.

Edit:
I misspelled anutha
Look Bro/Homie, my intention was to get it done with higher specs than the 130 AC rated it at, but after speaking to the place they said it would be oem spec 180/550 (Someone else said 450 which I thought was wrong and looked it up after). Also I was going by AC prices and not Lethal, and again I am not either of them, plus Lethal gets it from AC and they dropped the ball and are making Lethal look bad too, so I thought I would help, not to sound like an ass, but I already have a wing.

Plus unlike AC or Lethal I wasn't planning for upfront full payments from anyone like the others. But we will see where this goes by the end of the week.

And remember what Evolvd said about the difference how AC was making them and how my place was.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Since posting this and with all the discussions here, there is no clear interest other than 1 possible person, I am not pursuing this venture any further and returning the loaned wing back to its rightful owner.

Mods please Lock this thread.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Since posting this and with all the discussions here, there is no clear interest other than 1 possible person, I am not pursuing this venture any further and returning the loaned wing back to its rightful owner.

Mods please Lock this thread.
Thanks for trying

I think I may reach out to a local foam manufacturer and have some blanks made and make my own.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for trying

I think I may reach out to a local foam manufacturer and have some blanks made and make my own.
I really thought there would have been an interest, but nothing gained ad nothing lost.

Good luck, but I dont think the OEM has foam in the wing. Thats why I asked, are you 100% sure Ford has foam in the wing?

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
@AngelDeath Thanks Mike for you tremendous effort to help all.
Think the ship has sailed on the hype as it appears many have moved on for what ever reason after they have got there cars.
I may be wrong but don't see many of the originals on here anymore. They may be lurkers, like me still. đź‘Ť

Hi to Tom. Hope is all well with you and yours...........

Sam
Sponsored