Sponsored

GT500 and M5 at Hockenheimring

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
This may get moved to "Mustang vs.", but seems more appropriate here.
"In Sport Auto's usual Hockenheim hot lap, the GT500 was unable to better the time posted by BMW's considerably less powerful M5 Comp"

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/fo...aps-hockenheim-slower-than-an-m5-competition/

No more info than what the article says. One consideration--the green emission sticker on the front right section of the windshield means the GT500 has European tags (probably German). Most likely, it had to compromise some horsepower when it underwent homologation. The M5 did not have to be modified since it was European spec to begin with.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
With times that close I believe on any given day one car would beat the other just depending on one little driver error.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I can't tell if the car has the handling pack aero installed or not, or if the hood vent rain tray was removed, or if it had the track alignment. The opening image of the black GT500 shows the rear gurney flap installed but there's no walk-around like they did with the M5.

Based on the understeer of the car, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have the track alignment, rain tray removed, or front splitter extensions. There is a lot of time in all of those.

I doubt Ford supported the test with new tires, aligning the car, making sure the hot tire pressures are right, and making sure the aero was installed. Likewise being in BMWs home country, I would be surprised if the M5 wasn't properly "prepared" for track use.

The M5 is about 100lbs heavier with significantly less downforce and smaller tires that are likely not as sticky as the GT500. I would put my money on the 500 all day long.

Even if it was a straight-up test, its pretty common for US media to be seconds off the capability of a given car and getting it wrong which one is actually faster. I'd like to think the Germans are more procedural than we are, but who knows...
Sponsored