Sponsored

GT500 Aftermarket Exhaust?

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I put my lethal pipe on this weekend. For the life of me I could not get the band clamp that showed up with the pipe to tighten down hard enough to hold the rear section of the exhaust on. I ended up just welding the damn thing. The pipe sounds great though. Not sure why those clamps wouldn’t work.

CAC89C10-AE1D-4359-B6E2-0ED7118330BC.jpeg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I had waited for the kit from Lethal to become available and got one of the first few out the door. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but mine came with the wrong size clamps and I couldn't get it to tighten up either. I contacted them and they had the right clamps shipped to me asap. That said, there is a twisting force applied to the cut/clamped area that occurs due to the way the mufflers are hung outboard of the exhaust system. So I welded mine as well and it was no longer an issue.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I put my lethal pipe on this weekend. For the life of me I could not get the band clamp that showed up with the pipe to tighten down hard enough to hold the rear section of the exhaust on. I ended up just welding the damn thing. The pipe sounds great though. Not sure why those clamps wouldn’t work.
@LethalPerformance I had this same issue. The exhaust place said the camps are incorrect and need to me the same as the front. My exhaust would move when the clamp was tight. We had to tac weld it to stay.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I had waited for the kit from Lethal to become available and got one of the first few out the door. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but mine came with the wrong size clamps and I couldn't get it to tighten up either. I contacted them and they had the right clamps shipped to me asap. That said, there is a twisting force applied to the cut/clamped area that occurs due to the way the mufflers are hung outboard of the exhaust system. So I welded mine as well and it was no longer an issue.

Yes, I definitely noticed that too there was a twisting moment at the cut section of the pipe. I would not be surprised if the exhaust changed position overtime where it is held with just band clamps. Personally I think welding is the way to go.

Last edited:

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
So is the consensus the resonator delete pipes shouldn't be attempted unless you are welding?
no, just get the correct expensive clamps like oem uses. The ones in the kits are kinda dudsand much cheaper…..thats what the the shop told me.

kinda weird bcuz the lethal resonator delete on my 350 was super easy to do and clamps were perfect. I was thrown aback by the 500 ones

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
So is the consensus the resonator delete pipes shouldn't be attempted unless you are welding?
Viper: I'm not sure how the factory gets the pipes to remain in position but in my case, the mech couldn't get the clamps tight enough so he gave them a tack each. That's all that was needed. It can be a frustrating endeavor.

Sponsored

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Dayummm thats expensive !
I was thinking the same. I had been anticipating this as I was thinking about replacing my Shifteck H-Pipe with a company that actually deserves my money, but I may have to hold off for a minute.
Sponsored