Sponsored

GT350R VS ZL1 1LE On Track

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Comparing cars at a trackday with two different drivers isn't very useful. Beyond the obvious difference in skill level, there's the question of commitment... you have no idea whether the other car was even trying for a max effort lap.

How 'bout the same (Pro) driver on the same day (skip to 17:05 for lap comparison) for GT350R v. ZL1:
The heavier car with less tire, less aero, and a worse weight distribution had a higher minimum speed and gained time through all those fast sweeping corners than the lighter car with better weight distribution, more tire, and more aero???

(Look at the data. The ZL1 gained pretty much all of the time over the 350R in the corners, not on the straights.)

Despite having a pro driver in both cars, that test further shows how you can't trust magazines.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The heavier car with less tire, less aero, and a worse weight distribution had a higher minimum speed and gained time through all those fast sweeping corners than the lighter car with better weight distribution, more tire, and more aero???

(Look at the data. The ZL1 gained pretty much all of the time over the 350R in the corners, not on the straights.)

Despite having a pro driver in both cars, that test further shows how you can't trust magazines.
It is called chassis and whole suspension tuning with torque on demand! Car has more torque through the corners which helps it to carry more stable speed and also accelerates it out of the corners! Its not just weight and tires but you need to look at the whole picture here!

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It is called chassis and whole suspension tuning with torque on demand! Car has more torque through the corners which helps it to carry more stable speed and also accelerates it out of the corners! Its not just weight and tires but you need to look at the whole picture here!
that%20not.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So when the car is in a corner it has more torque? Pretty impressive.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
So when the car is in a corner it has more torque? Pretty impressive.
Yup,i hope you are being sarcastic! Since that LT1 is supercharged it has more torque on every operating rpm point (6500 rpm limit) on a race track vs the voodoo engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Ohh yeah welcome to the real world! Especially comparing a supercharged 3830 lbs to an NA 3700 lbs! Its really not rocket science. I want to see your reaction when the upcoming 3900+ lbs force fed GT500 start running circles around the GT350R! Its not just going to be straights let me tell you that much!

Last edited:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Is there really any question which car is faster?

Just because some dude at a track day blah blah blah doesnt mean anything.

I've blown by a Porsche GT2 in an M3. So what does that prove? It's a drivers race? I guess... I'm sure I could pilot a minivan around most road courses faster than your average driver could handle a sports car. That really doesn't mean much.

The ZL1 1LE is an incredible performer, but is tougher to live with daily than a GT350. In the right hands a GT350 is as quick as a ZL1 1LE. Big news here.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
downshifts on point

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Is there really any question which car is faster?

Just because some dude at a track day blah blah blah doesnt mean anything.

I've blown by a Porsche GT2 in an M3. So what does that prove? It's a drivers race? I guess... I'm sure I could pilot a minivan around most road courses faster than your average driver could handle a sports car. That really doesn't mean much.

The ZL1 1LE is an incredible performer, but is tougher to live with daily than a GT350. In the right hands a GT350 is as quick as a ZL1 1LE. Big news here.
The point is with equal drivers people still believe a GT350R can hang with the ZL1 1LE! Thread owner post the video on versus section and hyped everyone to prove that with his driving skills he can go as fast as a ZL1 1LE driven by a low skilled level driver. What people actually see is damn that GT350R is as fast as the ZL1 1LE or even better. As you also mentioned a pro in a minivan can put better times compared to an average Joe with a sports car! This entire thread is just a Troll purposefully posted to start an argument! There is no argument.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yup,i hope you are being sarcastic! Since that LT1 is supercharged it has more torque on every operating rpm point (6500 rpm limit) on a race track vs the voodoo engine.
I was mocking what you said. The car has more torque in corners. Makes no sense at all. I would want to have more torque in a straight line, because that's when you can really put the power down. But the engine doesn't make a different amount of torque depending if you're in a corner or not.

The point is with equal drivers people still believe a GT350R can hang with the ZL1 1LE! Thread owner post the video on versus section and hyped everyone to prove that with his driving skills he can go as fast as a ZL1 1LE driven by a low skilled level driver. What people actually see is damn that GT350R is as fast as the ZL1 1LE or even better. As you also mentioned a pro in a minivan can put better times compared to an average Joe with a sports car! This entire thread is just a Troll purposefully posted to start an argument! There is no argument.
There's always an argument. Since you are a Camaro fanboy you think the ZL1 1LE is god's gift to the earth. I think the GT350R and the ZL1 1LE are not that far apart in performance times/capability, and the Mustang is more fun to drive in general (track, the street, etc.). That's why many reviewers say they prefer the Mustang even though the Camaro is a little faster.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I was mocking what you said. The car has more torque in corners. Makes no sense at all. I would want to have more torque in a straight line, because that's when you can really put the power down. But the engine doesn't make a different amount of torque depending if you're in a corner or not.

There's always an argument. Since you are a Camaro fanboy you think the ZL1 1LE is god's gift to the earth. I think the GT350R and the ZL1 1LE are not that far apart in performance times/capability, and the Mustang is more fun to drive in general (track, the street, etc.). That's why many reviewers say they prefer the Mustang even though the Camaro is a little faster.
Well the ZL1 1LE is a supercar that can be had for under sticker because no one buys them so not a bad deal at all.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)

Lol calling me a fanboy! I am not arguing over something not real! Its you! Call me a reality check! These two cars are not even close in performance. You can believe in whatever you want. If these two cars are equal, upcoming GT500 will be pointless because the GT350R is actually a disguised GT500. There will be GT350R drivers posting videos that they can hang with the GT500 on track! Be logical and use your brain!

Car having more torque in the corners doesn’t make sense? Do you lift your foot off the gas pedal completely during a turn or still use partial throttle? Because that partial throttle and increased throttle during exiting the corner is going to shoot that rocket forward! I think you just know driving a car but have no clue what you are driving!

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lol calling me a fanboy! I am not arguing over something not real! Its you! Call me a reality check! These two cars are not even close in performance. You can believe in whatever you want. If these two cars are equal, upcoming GT500 will be pointless because the GT350R is actually a disguised GT500. There will be GT350R drivers posting videos that they can hang with the GT500 on track! Be logical and use your brain!

Car having more torque in the corners doesn’t make sense? Do you lift your foot off the gas pedal completely during a turn or still use partial throttle? Because that partial throttle and increased throttle during exiting the corner is going to shoot that rocket forward! I think you just know driving a car but have no clue what you are driving!
OK, so with Randy P. driving on that particular day around Big Willow it took the GT350R 1:28.3 and it took the ZL1 1:27.9. That difference is 0.4 seconds like you said. You said the ZL1 1LE was 4 seconds faster than the ZL1. Assuming your numbers are correct, that's a 5% difference in time. And you say that's not even close. They aren't in the same league. I say that's a pretty close time.

If you have to use a timer to tell which car is faster around a track, they are close. Randy didn't realize how fast the GT350R was because it was much easier to drive than the ZL1.

By the way, in the real world there are no equal drivers either. I'm not even equal to myself as a driver at the beginning of the day versus the middle of the day versus the end. If a car is easier to drive you will tend to drive it faster, especially towards the end of the day. In the real world, when you go to the track you don't just run 1 or 2 laps and take the best time. If the car gets warm or the tires get greasy or the driver gets tired, the car slows down and other cars start passing it.

Maybe you aren't a fanboy. Maybe you are just obsessed with power numbers or you haven't driven on a road course or something. You've probably never been at the track and noticed someone was catching up to you, so you pushed a little harder on certain areas of the track and then they no longer could keep up. I don't know. I'm not really excited about the GT500. Sure it might be a few seconds faster than the GT350R around a track, but how much more fun will it be? I'm sure it will have a bunch more power. In my opinion a supercharged V8 is not as cool as a flat plane crank V8. And even just a big naturally aspirated high RPM V8 is better than a blown V8. I will be very surprised if the GT500 is in a different league than the GT350R. I expect they will be close.

I'm not even going to debate the torque thing because you don't seem to understand what you even said and are still saying.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
OK, so with Randy P. driving on that particular day around Big Willow it took the GT350R 1:28.3 and it took the ZL1 1:27.9. That difference is 0.4 seconds like you said. You said the ZL1 1LE was 4 seconds faster than the ZL1. Assuming your numbers are correct, that's a 5% difference in time. And you say that's not even close. They aren't in the same league. I say that's a pretty close time.

If you have to use a timer to tell which car is faster around a track, they are close. Randy didn't realize how fast the GT350R was because it was much easier to drive than the ZL1.

By the way, in the real world there are no equal drivers either. I'm not even equal to myself as a driver at the beginning of the day versus the middle of the day versus the end. If a car is easier to drive you will tend to drive it faster, especially towards the end of the day. In the real world, when you go to the track you don't just run 1 or 2 laps and take the best time. If the car gets warm or the tires get greasy or the driver gets tired, the car slows down and other cars start passing it.

Maybe you aren't a fanboy. Maybe you are just obsessed with power numbers or you haven't driven on a road course or something. You've probably never been at the track and noticed someone was catching up to you, so you pushed a little harder on certain areas of the track and then they no longer could keep up. I don't know. I'm not really excited about the GT500. Sure it might be a few seconds faster than the GT350R around a track, but how much more fun will it be? I'm sure it will have a bunch more power. In my opinion a supercharged V8 is not as cool as a flat plane crank V8. And even just a big naturally aspirated high RPM V8 is better than a blown V8. I will be very surprised if the GT500 is in a different league than the GT350R. I expect they will be close.

I'm not even going to debate the torque thing because you don't seem to understand what you even said and are still saying.
Just droping this here

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

ZL1 1LE Time: 7:16:00
ZL1 Time: 7:29:06
GT350R Time: 7:32:19

As i said earlier the ZL1 1LE is completely in a different league!
Sponsored