Sponsored

GT350R Springs for GT (high rate, minimum lowering)

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
So just to confirm. The front springs and struts work no prob we just need the whole strut/spring combo? For rear we can run two left rear coils and whatever shocks?

The rear coils are slighty less rate than the SP085s and drop 0.3- 0.5 inches?

This goes for the gt350 and 350r both? What's the drop on the front springs again?
Sponsored

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
Haha. Yea, I read it all but sometimes you have to piece meal all the answers and I feel like I need a very simple black and white on this. Lol

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Basically, read [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] posts. Especially #35.

Here is the current recipe:
GT350 front springs at 195lb, or R springs at 240lb.
GT350 front struts, some assembly required.
GT350 rear springs, both left-hand version. Or BMR SP088 springs at 800lb, or SP085 at 980lb.
Rear shocks indeterminant, but probably Koni, Steeda, or Viking.
Add the new Steeda rear spring spacers to taste.

Have your dentist check your fillings before your first test drive.

Last edited:

jofivepointoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP

GT350 front springs at 240lb, or R springs at 300lb.
GT350 rear springs, both left-hand version. Or BMR SP088 springs at 800lb.

So who actually has tested this setup? Review?

Sponsored

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
So for a DD, would you guys be more likely to recommend the fr track pack then? I think the gt350 (not r) would be the choice I'd go with.

Johras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

GT350 front springs at 240lb, or R springs at 300lb.
GT350 rear springs, both left-hand version. Or BMR SP088 springs at 800lb.

I believe the base GT350 front springs are 194, the R fronts are 240. Rear is at 914 for both.

Just ordered the front R springs based on this thread, to pair with BMR SP088. Now just need to make a decision on GT350 strut/GTPP shock or FR Track strut/shock, leaning towards GT350 strut cause of BMR's feedback (and I'm cheap..)

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
So who actually has tested this setup? Review?
If you read my post a bit above, I've done the R fronts and SP085 rears with track dampers all over.

As for a review, it's quite a bit stiffer than PP, slightly harsher but not to coilover levels. I do DD with it and no complaints so far. Of course, the response time of the suspension is super short, it will recover from anything quickly. The dampening seems close to perfect, if anything I would like to dampen the rear just a hair more, being nitpicky about it. The fronts are perfect.

I also did the BMR cradle lockouts and BMR four point brace at the same time. As for launching and cornering, being objective, I cannot isolate the effects of just the spring/dampers alone to give you an opinion.

I'd like more rake, which is why I'm considering the Steeda spacers. The rears haven't changed ride height at at, absolutely no sag...that BMR quality for you! The fronts are still settling a tiny bit, I got them done this last Saturday and by Monday, it dropped a little bit more. By the end of the week I'll decide if the rake is enough.

So far, I'm satisfied with how it drives.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The flow chart should be like:

1. Decide fronts:
a. GT350R for 240lbs and a drop between 0.5-0.8"
b. GT350 for 194lbs and less than 0.5" drop

2. Decide rears:
a. (fitment pending) GT350 left for 914lbs and less drop (don't know the exact figure)
b. (fitment pending) GT350R left for 914 and slightly more drop (don't know either)
c. BMR SP085 for 980lbs and 0.5" drop (as aggresive as you can get)
d. BMR SP088 for 800lbs and 0.5" drop (conservative, a tad above PP and SP082)

3. Dampers (depend on what you choose on 2):
a,b,c: track, steeda or koni (harsher ride) on all fours 'cause the rear GT350 shocks don't fit, or maybe GT350 strut and koni/steeda shocks
d: GT350 struts and PP/viking shocks

I might be missing a bunch of stuff...but I think that's the general idea here for a setup that is significantly stiffer than PP and low drop (less than 1").

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The flow chart should be like:

1. Decide fronts:
a. GT350R for 240lbs and a drop between 0.5-0.8"
b. GT350 for 194lbs and less than 0.5" drop

2. Decide rears:
a. (fitment pending) GT350 left for 914lbs and less drop (don't know the exact figure)
b. (fitment pending) GT350R left for 914 and slightly more drop (don't know either)
c. BMR SP085 for 980lbs and 0.5" drop (as aggresive as you can get)
d. BMR SP088 for 800lbs and 0.5" drop (conservative, a tad above PP and SP082)

3. Dampers (depend on what you choose on 2):
a,b,c: track, steeda or koni (harsher ride) on all fours 'cause the rear GT350 shocks don't fit, or maybe GT350 strut and koni/steeda shocks
d: GT350 struts and PP/viking shocks

I might be missing a bunch of stuff...but I think that's the general idea here for a setup that is significantly stiffer than PP and low drop (less than 1").
Another option to consider if you want GT350 (non-R) fronts for the lower spring rate, but also want a little rake is either of the BMR springs, or the GT350 springs and the Steeda 1/4" spacers. That would bring the rear to essentially stock height, with a small one up front. The rest of this applies though :headbang:

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
so, more clarification. I read to use the left rears on both sides. I also read to use a left rear and a right rear with the proper left and right upper seat. if I want to use my std seats that are in place, I should just order two left springs? or if I order a left and right spring, then i'd need to order a left and right upper seat? is it either/or?

also, for the gt350 (nonR) front, can I use PP struts or should I order the GT350 struts? I haven't ridden in a GT350 or 350R for that matter, I'm assuming any an all front end float and looseness will be more than gone.

I'm basically trying to decide on either 1) ordering the full FRPP track kit or 2) piecing the 350 setup together. I'm starting with a base EB so I have nothing good to reuse or start with but if PP fronts will work, I can maybe get some used.

Front spring
FR3Z-5310-K, same part for both sides
Rear Spring
FR3Z-5560-S Left
FR3Z-5560-N Right
FR3Z-5586-C Left upper spring mount
FR3Z-5586-B Right upper spring mount

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so, more clarification. I read to use the left rears on both sides. I also read to use a left rear and a right rear with the proper left and right upper seat. if I want to use my std seats that are in place, I should just order two left springs? or if I order a left and right spring, then i'd need to order a left and right upper seat? is it either/or?

also, for the gt350 (nonR) front, can I use PP struts or should I order the GT350 struts? I haven't ridden in a GT350 or 350R for that matter, I'm assuming any an all front end float and looseness will be more than gone.

I'm basically trying to decide on either 1) ordering the full FRPP track kit or 2) piecing the 350 setup together. I'm starting with a base EB so I have nothing good to reuse or start with but if PP fronts will work, I can maybe get some used.

Front spring
FR3Z-5310-K, same part for both sides
Rear Spring
FR3Z-5560-S Left
FR3Z-5560-N Right
FR3Z-5586-C Left upper spring mount
FR3Z-5586-B Right upper spring mount
First of all, all the credit goes to [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]...he came up with the original idea and educated me about it.

The passenger side springs cannot be used because they are wound backwards (compared to a 'stang spring), so they can't really sit on the cradle. Apparently the cradles of the GT350 are symmetric, as one spring is wound clockwise and the other, counterclockwise. The 'stang has them wound the same way on both side. If using the rear springs for the 'stang, one can only use driver side, same with the seats.

The reason why I didn't use them was that the PN of the seats are not confirmed, so the fitment is risky.

I don't think anyone has tried the non-R fronts with PP struts...my guess is that it will work acceptable, but they would be underdampened. In practice, folks have used the PP struts with BMR SP089's with a rate 170lbs vs 194lbs of the GT350 fronts...which is not far.

In theory one would want the ideal situation, everything critically dampened...but that doesn't happen very often. I would prefer a slightly overdampened front and slightly underdampened rear. I wouldn't risk it to go with PP struts.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another option to consider if you want GT350 (non-R) fronts for the lower spring rate, but also want a little rake is either of the BMR springs, or the GT350 springs and the Steeda 1/4" spacers. That would bring the rear to essentially stock height, with a small one up front. The rest of this applies though :headbang:
If using the GT350 fronts, probably the Steeda fixed would be a good strut for it...supposedly they are tad firmer than PP and match with Steeda linears. On that same line out thought, probably one can go with Steeda fixed on all fours with 194/800lbs (GT350/SP088).

I don't know what they did with the rates of the GT350, as 194/914lbs sounds not quite right for cornering...too much rear bias, me thinks.
Sponsored