Sponsored

GT350R Springs for GT (high rate, minimum lowering)

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Need to go more than that. You need to trim at least 5/8". This car uses its bumpstops a lot in stock form. It helps with the bouncy feeling if you trim more than you lowered.
I just measured the area i cut off and it is about .670 so its more than 5/8
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just measured the area i cut off and it is about .670 so its more than 5/8
Interesting. What wheels and tires? After I added the Steeda shock mounts the remaining bounciness in the suspension went away, but I have the SP085 rears.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Nice thread. I've read it twice now. More than likely will read it again.

Question since it was not clear to me. How does the GT350 combination fit a performance pack equipped Mustang GT? I have a 2015 that I daily drive and take on long hauls at least once or twice a year. To me the base 15 with PP is pretty solid but this is coming from someone who's last Mustang was a 89 and things have changed.

I'd wager at my skill level any road coarse track event the car as is would be fine, more than fine. But this article seemed like a slight modification and enhancement if and when the time is ready. If I understand correctly (which is why a 3rd time is happening) the 350Rs are not recommended. It is a daily driver, will always be. But I do plan on taking it to a Sears/Sonoma Point or Thunder Hill event at some point for beginner sessions. Fun only.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Interesting. What wheels and tires? After I added the Steeda shock mounts the remaining bounciness in the suspension went away, but I have the SP085 rears.
Stock PP wheels and tires. I will say today was 80 out and it is better but it still has a bit of bounciness

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice thread. I've read it twice now. More than likely will read it again.

Question since it was not clear to me. How does the GT350 combination fit a performance pack equipped Mustang GT? I have a 2015 that I daily drive and take on long hauls at least once or twice a year. To me the base 15 with PP is pretty solid but this is coming from someone who's last Mustang was a 89 and things have changed.

I'd wager at my skill level any road coarse track event the car as is would be fine, more than fine. But this article seemed like a slight modification and enhancement if and when the time is ready. If I understand correctly (which is why a 3rd time is happening) the 350Rs are not recommended. It is a daily driver, will always be. But I do plan on taking it to a Sears/Sonoma Point or Thunder Hill event at some point for beginner sessions. Fun only.
I would not say that this combination is not suitable for daily driving unless you really have a priority on comfort at all times OR have some really crappy roads. It is firm, there's no getting around that, but it handles razor sharp and without harshness with all the right pieces in place. Mine is now at the point where I consider it firm but not harsh. You feel everything, but not necessarily in a bad way.

350R springs (all around or with BMR SP085 rear)
Capable dampers (Steeda Pro-Actions, FRPP Track dampers, Bilstein, Koni Sport)

I'd highly recommend the following supporting/foundation mods too:
BMR CB005 cradle lockout
Steeda Billet Rear shock mounts

The CB005 makes a huge difference in the car's ability to put power down and the confidence it gives you doing so. I would actually do this before anything else. It also kills most of the wheel hop. The billet rear mounts, eith their heim joint, allow the rear shocks to actually work properly and add a good deal more compliance and composure at the rear end. Oscillations and feeling of underdamped body motions are gone or sharply reduced.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I read through most of this thread and apologize if I missed this, but has anyone tested this exact combo:

GT350 struts/springs up front and PP shocks/GT350 springs in the rear?

From my reading the front PP struts are nothing special and are the same as the base GT, while the rear PP shocks are the improved monotubes? So really just using front monotubes to match the PP rears would be a good combo along with the matched GT350 springs all around?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I read through most of this thread and apologize if I missed this, but has anyone tested this exact combo:

GT350 struts/springs up front and PP shocks/GT350 springs in the rear?

From my reading the front PP struts are nothing special and are the same as the base GT, while the rear PP shocks are the improved monotubes? So really just using front monotubes to match the PP rears would be a good combo along with the matched GT350 springs all around?
While the PP rear shocks are indeed monotubes, they will be a little stretched with the GT350 rear spring rates. I'm not sure if it'll be bad, per se, but generally the rear needs more rebound damping period. It'd be worth a try with the billet rear shock mounts, as the PP shocks do have pretty good/high compression damping.

The PP front struts are definitely not the same as the base GT. They're of similar construction but quite different valving.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The PP front struts are definitely not the same as the base GT. They're of similar construction but quite different valving.
That's good to know, I thought they were exactly the same.

While the PP rear shocks are indeed monotubes, they will be a little stretched with the GT350 rear spring rates.
So instead of the GT350 spring which seems to have a really high rate, maybe a slightly softer spring from BMR.

I would love to go all out and get some $1,500 coilovers that's a bit out of my budget and have no desire to DD that kind of suspension again. And seeing how affordable GT350 stuff is I would rather just do a small upgrade that way.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to know, I thought they were exactly the same.

So instead of the GT350 spring which seems to have a really high rate, maybe a slightly softer spring from BMR.

I would love to go all out and get some $1,500 coilovers that's a bit out of my budget and have no desire to DD that kind of suspension again. And seeing how affordable GT350 stuff is I would rather just do a small upgrade that way.
Well [MENTION=26578]RedfireV8[/MENTION] did that combo exactly. I'd message him.

RedfireV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I went with GT350 front struts and R springs with PP shocks and BMR Drag springs out back. Perfect stance in my eyes and great all around balance. I also have the CB005 that tied everything together.

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Kind of off topic but I'm having my 350R springs, Koni's, and BMR lockout installed next week. My buddy is a mechanic and has a lift, so we're going to install them at the shop he works at. He doesn't expect money, but how much do you guys think I should throw him for helping me out with the install? I've never had shocks or springs installed before so I have no idea what the usual rates are.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Kind of off topic but I'm having my 350R springs, Koni's, and BMR lockout installed next week. My buddy is a mechanic and has a lift, so we're going to install them at the shop he works at. He doesn't expect money, but how much do you guys think I should throw him for helping me out with the install? I've never had shocks or springs installed before so I have no idea what the usual rates are.
I have a buddy who helps me out with the car..he's awesome. I'd buy him a solid set of tools (good stuff like a real nice extended wrench etc) and of course take him and his missus out for a great dinner. Beats money anytime and he gets some points w his gal for helping an appreciative friend out.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
You could call and get a quote from a shop. Then offer him something (cash or gift) based on that.

I am on good terms with a detail shop. They let me hang out and work on my car once in a while, provided I don't slow them down. One day I bought lunch. They each placed their order with Panera Bread, then I went out and brought it back. They thanked me again and again. Geez, it was just lunch.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A case of beer or Applebee (or any nice all-you-can-eat place). Maybe him and his significant other. You know him better than I do.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Thank's everyone. He will be my brother-in-law within a few weeks so I can always just throw some more money in the wedding card. I would get him tools but I know he's all stocked up on Snap-On stuff. I wasn't sure what the going rate for a shop install would usually be, it seems like $400 is normal from what I've read online.
Sponsored