BadKarma!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R (HR815) + 23' Rivian R1S
Vehicle Showcase
With the GT500 right around the corner and the release of the "improved" GT350 for MY19, I am wondering what will happen to the used "R" market?

From my perspective, if I can get a brand new 19' GT350 (at MSRP) for let's say $62K. A used R would have to be very aggressively priced to make me walk away from the 19' GT350.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
With the GT500 right around the corner and the release of the "improved" GT350 for MY19, I am wondering what will happen to the used "R" market?

From my perspective, if I can get a brand new 19' GT350 (at MSRP) for let's say $62K. A used R would have to be very aggressively priced to make me walk away from the 19' GT350.
I'll take an R over any GT350 any day.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So much for not bringing politics into this huh?
LOL agree, textbook example of "do as I say, not as I do." Someone has an entitlement issue.

As for "reality," supply and demand. If CA dealers think an ADM will fly, they'll ask it. If CA used R sellers think they can get above MSRP, they'll ask it. The cars will sell, or they will not. That transaction is reality.

All it takes for local market variation is enough people who want the item, have money to spend, and are willing to spend more to avoid flying to Podunk for the MSRP deal.

Same reason getting a house painted or a roof done in Chicago costs 3x as much as it does in the town where I grew up. Local market is wiling to pay, and quality labor is always busy so they have no incentive to discount. It's frustrating, but it's reality.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
To the OP. Ask it. You can always negotiate down if you don’t get it. I know of one traded in recently in the high 70s.

The reality is it all depends on where the car is and what’s available. Yes they are still making them, but the overall number is still very very low. An R is simply going to hold value over time because of that and the fact that it’s bad ass.

The number for 19 will be even lower and I seriously doubt we will see them after that.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Sponsored

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
To the OP. Ask it. You can always negotiate down if you don’t get it. I know of one traded in recently in the high 70s.

The reality is it all depends on where the car is and what’s available. Yes they are still making them, but the overall number is still very very low. An R is simply going to hold value over time because of that and the fact that it’s bad ass.

The number for 19 will be even lower and I seriously doubt we will see them after that.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.
Went to 3 dealers and talked trade on my R 3 different manufactures. None got close to $60k, one offered $50k.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Went to 3 dealers and talked trade on my R 3 different manufactures. None got close to $60k, one offered $50k.
What where you expecting? Lol it is a used car and the buyer had the upper hand on a trade.
Porsche is offering me more than I expected and I have close 9900 miles on my base R. I was offered 65K.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What where you expecting? Lol it is a used car and the buyer had the upper hand on a trade.
Porsche is offering me more than I expected and I have close 9900 miles on my base R. I was offered 65K.
I was expecting a hell of a lot more than 50k considering I got 56k for my regular 350 a year ago. Low trade ins are to be expected, but 50k for a 2017 2500 mile R is insulting. I wouldn't call it an upper hand considering they lost my business when I do buy my next car. Also, basically from what that dealer told me (a sales manager) and the "vibe" I got from the 2 others were that they really don't want to deal with an R. Something about too small a market for the car. Anyway, the R is a 3 year old, unchanged model, lots of newer stuff has came out and is coming out, the market has softened considerably. I have my R listed on this site for $67k. A year ago it would have sold in a week. Now, not one reply or even an offer.

BadKarma!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R (HR815) + 23' Rivian R1S
Vehicle Showcase
I was expecting a hell of a lot more than 50k considering I got 56k for my regular 350 a year ago. Low trade ins are to be expected, but 50k for a 2017 2500 mile R is insulting. I wouldn't call it an upper hand considering they lost my business when I do buy my next car. Also, basically from what that dealer told me (a sales manager) and the "vibe" I got from the 2 others were that they really don't want to deal with an R. Something about too small a market for the car. Anyway, the R is a 3 year old, unchanged model, lots of newer stuff has came out and is coming out, the market has softened considerably. I have my R listed on this site for $67k. A year ago it would have sold in a week. Now, not one reply or even an offer.

[MENTION=26617]Tflong24[/MENTION] I can appreciate your point of view. Up until 4th of July weekend, I was on a nationwide hunt for a pre-owned "R". I used the last days of June to call the lists of dealers I had in my contact list, made reasonable offers on eBay, Autotrader, etc. I would venture to guess that a quarter of them was ready to sell at $5K over list while the majority still wanted up to $30k in ADM. I gave it the old college try one last time. Not one dealer was willing to take my CASH. Once I exhausted all effort I decided to take it in another direction and go with the improved 2019 GT350. Luckily for me, I was calling my local dealer at the right time and ahead of the curve. I secured an allocation (in writing) for the car at MSRP. That said the delta between MSRP on a 19' GT350 and a preowned "R" is getting smaller by the day.

Hypothetically if I were to stumble into a fantastic opportunity between now and next Spring and find a preowned perfect specimen "R", I would be a fool not to take a hard look at it.

Also, I find it interesting that the dealers weren't interested in your car due to it being "a narrow market". Isnt't that what creates the added value? People that want the "R" know what they are looking for and will seek it out.

Just my $.02

I hope you get an offer that you can live with.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Dealer inventory effects trade-in, too...in addition to the fact that they like to make money on both ends. I'm not really surprised at all. I'd take is as a low-ball offer and not as an indication of the entire used R market, that's for sure.

Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Tflong...DO NOT sell your car to a dealer! FYI, I paid $66.2K (via consignment sale) for my '16 R with 7,500 miles on the ODO and I knew I got a great deal. Your car is easy worth what you're asking. I'd buy yours, and have two, if I had the spare cash.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Tflong...DO NOT sell your car to a dealer! FYI, I paid $66.2K (via consignment sale) for my '16 R with 7,500 miles on the ODO and I knew I got a great deal. Your car is easy worth what you're asking. I'd buy yours, and have two, if I had the spare cash.
I think I am asking a fair price especially with a spare set of wheels already mounted. Strange as no one has even inquired. It seems none of the Rs on the for sale thread have received any action even though most are priced higher than mine.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Perhaps people find this place after they buy an R, rather than come here looking for one. As a not-Mustang guy prior to R ownership, it wouldn't have crossed my mind to shop for them used (however, I bought in fall 2016 when there were still huge markups everywhere, so I assumed there were no used deals to be had).

There have been a few on BaT. Newer American cars don't do super great on that site (seems to be THE place to get a lot of money for your air-cooled Porsche), but the R is well-liked.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think I am asking a fair price especially with a spare set of wheels already mounted. Strange as no one has even inquired. It seems none of the Rs on the for sale thread have received any action even though most are priced higher than mine.
Did you try carmax or echopark (if you have them near)?

If they want it and offer you a decent price, I would keep your spare wheels and sell them on here.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
People have had much better success getting new ones around $5k over and a few at MSRP. If I didn't have an R and was looking - and only had two options. Used one for X or new one for $5k-$6k more...I'd be tempted to the new one.

I'm loosely trying to sell mine now. I have to wonder if just waiting would be the way to go. The GT500 will be launched - it's still an S550. It will be fast as hell, I'm sure but will it have the same "drivers car" excitement that then 350 has? If people start reporting that it's fast but numb...and magazines do the same - the GT350, especially the R could be the next 997 GT3 (before the current GT3 went back to manual)...and climb a bit in price.
Sponsored