OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I'm not sure where you picked 30 lbs at 100 MPH from as neither of the actual wing numbers I listed in the first post are anywhere near such a low downforce at 100 MPH. Also, the car does 100 MPH in about 7 seconds and if I come out of a turn with any speed, I'd theoretically be way over 100 MPH on anything that resembles a straight away before having to slow down for my next turn. The 30 lbs comment made me do an estimation of the actual angle of the GT350R wing to be 12-degrees (see below picture).

Of the two wings I put some stats on, when using a 12-degree wing angle (similar to the one I just ordered), the larger wing at 100 MPH pushes down with 343 lbs and the smaller one at around 150 lbs. At 120 MPH, the larger one pushes down at 495 lbs with the smaller one pushing down at 252 lbs. At 'top speed', the larger one is pushing down at 1374 lbs with the smaller one at around 600 lbs. Since I probably can't reach 200 MPH with the wing drag, the real 'top speed' force is probably a little less, somewhere between 540 lbs and 1200 lbs. Still, turning at any real speed, even with 200 lbs or more pushing down at the very back of the car makes me nervous.

Good news for me, I just found out I should have the wing delivered as early as a few days! Still, it will be at least another week before I have the time to install it and who knows when I'll have the cabability to actually try it at speed.
GT350R_Wing_Angle.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

brendon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brendon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
>I don't want to void my car's warranty by taking it to the track

This is widely accepted as 100% false. Why are you even posting in this sub forum?

> perhaps adding a rear wing that pushes the car down in the back will keep the rear tires sticking better around 'slight' turns at 60+ MPH

lol what is this thread? Again, why did you post in the track sub forum? Are you just here to brag about how reckless you think you are on the street?

>I hate spending $$ to take chances on something that might improve (or hurt) performance

So do some actual real research?

>I just purchased the below GT350R replica carbon fiber wing

wait, wtf I thought you just said.....

>so hoping the Mustang engineers got it right and the carbon fiber wing copiers copied it right

Seems very scientific wow.

>I might not get it for about a month

China.

All of you math is BS and based on assumptions and bad comparisons to a Chinese wing. You have no idea what the wing is actually doing. Please post pics when the imbalance of downforce causes you to understeer into a palm tree (assuming you actually find a corner in Florida)

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I already bought the GT350R replica wing and am trying to get info on what performance I should expect from it since Ford (and nobody else I could find) has not posted any downforce/drag vs speed numbers with the GT350R wing. Since nobody published any specs on the GT350R wing, my research consists of comparing it to other known wings that have published specs. Since nobody on the forum has actually made any comments to assist my request for info, I came up with my own analysis - too bad if you don't like it! It consists of the GT350 vs GT350R as well as put a compass showing the angle of the mounted GT350R wing. What did you do to assist me in trying to find info on this wing? Do you typically try to assist forum members or bash them for not using the wing you are recommending? If you wanted to assist me, you could estimate the surface area of the GT350R wing with some other wing that has similar surface area and published specs to make the comparision more accurate. Note the actual GT350R wing is several thousand dollars, so a carbon fiber copy at a huge discount is quite attractive if it is a good copy.

I have a feeling some of you guys are happy with your own wing for whatever reason (adjustability, sales commission on the wing you recommend, you personally use some wing, etc.) If it breaks off my car or gives me problems, I'll be the first to call it crap. Sure, it might suck - but it might not since it's supposed to be made out of real carbon fiber as well as be a copy of a working multi-thousand dollar wing designed by Ford for this specific car. Ford has many of their parts made in China - so I'm not sure where you are going with that. I'm not going to agree with you in ANY way that I should not be posting to tell people about my new wing purchase as well as trying to get info on the actual GT350R wing. If you don't like my analysis, and wanted to assist in any way, come up with your own analysis of GT350R wing performance. If the wing does cause too much downforce, since I can't adjust it, I'll start looking for some front aero at some point. I basically want to know if the rear of my car will stick better around turns with this wing (at some minimum speed where the wing starts to work) - so unless you have a GT350R wing, know some technical info on the wing, or actually care about assisting people who ask for info, - maybe I'll have to figure it out for myself. Still - if the wing copy is good, I'm hoping Ford already figured it out for me.

I know that Ford employees are on these forums. If you want to say you are at the track all day, go ahead - take your chances. Make sure you post your VIN somewhere too and see how your warranty works out the next time you take your car for some warranty repair.

Legal disclamer: 60MPH+ is a street legal speed, other speeds mentioned that are significantly higher would only be done legally on a closed track as I certainly wouldn't want to exceed the speed limit on normal streets. Since I wouldn't want to void my warranty by taking my car to the track, I would not drive the car beyond legal speeds.

Last edited:

brendon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brendon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I already bought the GT350R replica wing and am trying to get info on what performance I should expect from it since Ford (and nobody else I could find) has not posted any downforce/drag vs speed numbers with the GT350R wing. Since nobody published any specs on the GT350R wing, my research consists of comparing it to other known wings that have published specs. Since nobody on the forum has actually made any comments to assist my request for info, I came up with my own analysis - too bad if you don't like it! It consists of the GT350 vs GT350R as well as put a compass showing the angle of the mounted GT350R wing. What did you do to assist me in trying to find info on this wing? Do you typically try to assist forum members or bash them for not using the wing you are recommending? If you wanted to assist me, you could estimate the surface area of the GT350R wing with some other wing that has similar surface area and published specs to make the comparision more accurate. Note the actual GT350R wing is several thousand dollars, so a carbon fiber copy at a huge discount is quite attractive if it is a good copy.

I have a feeling some of you guys are happy with your own wing for whatever reason (adjustability, sales commission on the wing you recommend, you personally use some wing, etc.) If it breaks off my car or gives me problems, I'll be the first to call it crap. Sure, it might suck - but it might not since it's supposed to be made out of real carbon fiber as well as be a copy of a working multi-thousand dollar wing designed by Ford for this specific car. Ford has many of their parts made in China - so I'm not sure where you are going with that. I'm not going to agree with you in ANY way that I should not be posting to tell people about my new wing purchase as well as trying to get info on the actual GT350R wing. If you don't like my analysis, and wanted to assist in any way, come up with your own analysis of GT350R wing performance. If the wing does cause too much downforce, since I can't adjust it, I'll start looking for some front aero at some point. I basically want to know if the rear of my car will stick better around turns with this wing (at some minimum speed where the wing starts to work) - so unless you have a GT350R wing, know some technical info on the wing, or actually care about assisting people who ask for info, - maybe I'll have to figure it out for myself. Still - if the wing copy is good, I'm hoping Ford already figured it out for me.

I know that Ford employees are on these forums. If you want to say you are at the track all day, go ahead - take your chances. Make sure you post your VIN somewhere too and see how your warranty works out the next time you take your car for some warranty repair.

Legal disclamer: 60MPH+ is a street legal speed, other speeds mentioned that are significantly higher would only be done legally on a closed track as I certainly wouldn't want to exceed the speed limit on normal streets. Since I wouldn't want to void my warranty by taking my car to the track, I would not drive the car beyond legal speeds.
The bottom line is that you shouldn't "expect" performance form your Chinese wing because it exists for aesthetic purposes. You don't want to accept that you're wasting money for some placebo gainz and getting mad a people on a track sub forum even though you don't track your car. It's not that people don't want to help you, the problem is that you're being unreasonable.

>" Make sure you post your VIN somewhere too and see how your warranty works"

I'm sorry but this is straight up the most ignorant thing I've read here (it's complete BS and wrong). Maybe do some reading instead of trolling the track sub forum. If you aren't going to break the speed limit then any wing is mostly pointless. You aren't even using the car for what it was designed for and for some reason think you don't have enough rubber to keep traction.

I bet you only let the dealership change your oil too so your precious warranty is safe lol.

This thread is dumb.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
OP although I tend to agree with some of the comments here. You have to understand that track focused folks rarely use Chinese knock of parts because in many cases they are dangerous (think suspension compnents) and they harm companies that work hard to develop these parts.

That said, I encourage you to find the issue of grassroots motorsports which does some aero testing on their project mustang using a manometer. You can buy old issues online through their app for a small $7.99 or order a paper copy online.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2012-ford-mustang-gt/our-mustang-gets-splitter/

Good luck

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
For the relatively low $$, the decent appearance, and the hope of making the rear of my car not slide as much around turns, I'll give it a try. My biggest concern is that if the sufficient downforce needed to actually make my tires stick better is only attainable at 'high' speeds (I'm not saying I will do illegal speeds that could be needed to check this), I need a huge wide street in case my rear tires slide sideways (been there before) to keep from spinning into something. The wing might be total garbage, and I'll post my good/bad experience with it at some point when I find a way to properly test it. However, I might just get lucky with it. Thanks!

Rex Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 A180 South Seas Blue w/AMG Line
Hi OP, given the wing will be acting through the springs/dampers (i.e. sprung aero), you can measure the change in downforce by measuring the change in suspension travel at a given speed:

1. Add some method to measure ride height (suspension potentiometer, etc)
2. Drive down the road at different speeds & record heights
3. Install wing & repeat above
4. Any changes should be due to extra downforce (static or aerodynamic haha)
5. Actual df calcs will require you to know the spring rates

Google FSAE aerodynamics if you want to read a lot more on how students (i.e. money poor) try to measure effects of aero.

Good luck.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I blew my motor at the track, everyone knows. It’s what the car was made for. Ford replaced it without any hassle

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think you have a suspension issue not an aero one. What do you have for your setup, and alignment settings?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think you have a suspension issue not an aero one. What do you have for your setup, and alignment settings?
Although I am assuming, I tend to agree with BmacIL here. Sounds like you have a suspension "problem" or you have unrealistic expectation of the car. Some suspension modifications I think should solve this problem. I've taken "slight" turns as you describe before on the throttle at a buck twenty and the car stayed.

Now taking a 90 degree turn at 60 mph... the car has slid on me even with a lot of suspension mods, but I don't consider this a "slight" turn. Also, this type of car (RWD, lots of power, less weight in the rear) isn't going to handle fantastic in the rain.

I am no expert but I would highly doubt that a wing is going to make any appreciable difference at the speeds you describe. You would need to traveling at probably double the speed for the aero to matter that much. Even if it make a difference, a good set of springs and shocks will help keep your ride more planted than a wing would do.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Although I am assuming, I tend to agree with BmacIL here. Sounds like you have a suspension "problem" or you have unrealistic expectation of the car. Some suspension modifications I think should solve this problem. I've taken "slight" turns as you describe before on the throttle at a buck twenty and the car stayed.

Now taking a 90 degree turn at 60 mph... the car has slid on me even with a lot of suspension mods, but I don't consider this a "slight" turn. Also, this type of car (RWD, lots of power, less weight in the rear) isn't going to handle fantastic in the rain.

I am no expert but I would highly doubt that a wing is going to make any appreciable difference at the speeds you describe. You would need to traveling at probably double the speed for the aero to matter that much. Even if it make a difference, a good set of springs and shocks will help keep your ride more planted than a wing would do.
Could be driver mod too. :gossip::gossip:

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
As someone who just recently got into tracking my car. If you haven't taken the car to a track (road course). I would recommend that, like they say driver mod. If your sliding all over the places your probably doing something wrong. Smooth is fast (to a point).

Also before you concentrate on aero grip, mechanical grip is where you want to start, suspension, alignment, wheel/tires and weather/conditions.

Just my two cents

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
OP, what brand wing did you buy?

The downforce of a 350R wing will be noticeable but I don't think it will put your cars setup out in left field. You can always make small adjustments to your cars setup to compensate for the increased rear grip, or as you said, add some front aero as well.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Beware all GT350R wings are not created equal, most are just GT350R style winds and could hardly be called a wing, some are even the wrong shape to any add anything but drag.

These two wings are advertised as GT350R wings and are so different that other than the fact they mount to the deck lid there are little to no similarities to their designs. One is very much like the GT350R OEM wing and the other is most definitely not.

White car has a Carbon Dynamics, Black car has an Anderson Composite (99% sure)

Dave
IMG_4596.jpg
IMG_4598.jpg
IMG_4597.jpg
IMG_4599.jpg
Sponsored