J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Hey guys/girls,

I know there are many varying opinions as to how to properly "break in" an engine, with some folks advising to drive it as you plan to drive it right from the start, and others stating to take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so and gradually increase load on the engine thereafter. I am wondering if some of you can tell me how you went about the break in period and why? I ask because when I pick up my R this week, I have approximately ~1200 miles of highway driving to do to get it back home (purchasing out of province), with no options for back roads or alternate routes. Therefore, I am wondering how I should go about the break-in period, since I will be essentially through it by the time I get the car home.

Unrelated to the break-in procedure, I am wondering if there are any tools required to remove the stock clutch helper spring? I plan to remove it before I leave the dealership, as I felt the clutch was much too light in a 350 that I sat in previously. Actually, can anyone offer any feedback as to how much of a difference it makes? Obviously it will make clutch action heavier, but is it significantly different, small improvement, huge improvement, etc.?

Edit: Watched a video on clutch removal for a GT, would it be the same procedure? ANY negative consequences whatsoever in doing this??

Appreciate all feedback! 4 more days till delivery :D :D :D

Justin
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I removed my spring by hand. One hand I depressed the clutch, the other I pried the spring out. As for break in, I did some research. I had a 600 mile trek from the dealership to home. I kept it under 5K and varied the RPM's and frequently shifted through the upper gears for the first 500 miles.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I removed my spring by hand. One hand I depressed the clutch, the other I pried the spring out. As for break in, I did some research. I had a 600 mile trek from the dealership to home. I kept it under 5K and varied the RPM's and frequently shifted through the upper gears for the first 500 miles.
So you were able to compress the spring by hand? How difficult was it to do it by hand, or would you recommend using a set of grips or pliers? Any negative aspects to the spring removal whatsoever?

Appreciate the feedback man!

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The clutch spring has been discussed at length in several threads elsewhere on the forums. I would personally replace the spring with the steeda spring vs. Removing it. I've driven 350's back to back with the spring and the difference is definitely noticeable. Imo it's easier to drive with the steeda spring over stock.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The clutch spring has been discussed at length in several threads elsewhere on the forums. I would personally replace the spring with the steeda spring vs. Removing it. I've driven 350's back to back with the spring and the difference is definitely noticeable. Imo it's easier to drive with the steeda spring over stock.
For sure, it has definitely been discussed, with most people simply saying that it is "so much better", but it is all over the place in various threads. Using the search tool to find "clutch spring removal" results in only 4 threads (mine being one of them), and the other 3 are non GT350 related.

The most important aspect of this thread is the break-in procedure for sure; have never owned a V8 or a high performance vehicle like this, and am interested on different peoples takes on how to properly break it in. Maybe some of those who attended the Ford track days or went to press releases etc may have gotten some advice from some inside individuals!

The one thing I haven't seen is anyone discuss any possible negative side affects of removing the spring, which is my primary concern. Mostly wondering if there are any aspects at all that people don't like about it once they remove it.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
For sure, it has definitely been discussed, with most people simply saying that it is "so much better", but it is all over the place in various threads. Using the search tool to find "clutch spring removal" results in only 4 threads (mine being one of them), and the other 3 are non GT350 related.

The most important aspect of this thread is the break-in procedure for sure; have never owned a V8 or a high performance vehicle like this, and am interested on different peoples takes on how to properly break it in. Maybe some of those who attended the Ford track days or went to press releases etc may have gotten some advice from some inside individuals!

The one thing I haven't seen is anyone discuss any possible negative side affects of removing the spring, which is my primary concern. Mostly wondering if there are any aspects at all that people don't like about it once they remove it.
I broke mine in per the manual as best as possible. My biggest concern would be varying engine speeds and load for the first hundred miles or better.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I broke mine in per the manual as best as possible. My biggest concern would be varying engine speeds and load for the first hundred miles or better.
Oh dear, looks like I may make the fiancee sick on the way home :lol:

On throttle accelerate, upshift, slow down, downshift, accelerate, rinse repeat :D

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Something rarely discussed is heat cycle. I like to get a few full heat cycles in before I get on it at all. So up to temp and then fully cooled down, 3x.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Something rarely discussed is heat cycle. I like to get a few full heat cycles in before I get on it at all. So up to temp and then fully cooled down, 3x.
Had no idea about this, thanks man! Seems as though I'll have the opportunity to do this a few times for sure, pick up is friday when I have a 2.5 hour drive to drop it off at the XPEL installer. Picking it up Monday morning, another 5 hour drive or so to get to the boat to bring me back to the island which is about a 7 hour ferry, then drive ~600miles across the island to get back home.

You sparked my memory when you mentioned heat cycling, is there any break-in recommended or specific actions for the brakes themselves?

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
After reading about the clutch spring removal I took mine out and drove it while the Steeda was on the way. I like it so much better with no spring the Steeda is taking room on my reloading bench. PM me your address if you want it.

Sammy

Sponsored

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Spring is easy to remove, just press down with one hand, then the other take a screwdriver and place it between the spring and the clutch pedal rod. Then pry it out toward the passenger side. It's should slide and pop right out. I didn't have pliers to clamp it down, and saw it could just slide off. So I just turned my head in case it would fly crazy out but it didn't. Screwdriver is easier since you will have more leverage, the longer the screwdriver the better, than using your hand. If your scared of scratching something just put a cloth next to the pedal rod, but it's all parts you will never see unless you stick your head under there. I have the steeda spring also, and very easy to put in. The bottom piece slides in on the bottom like the old one, and the top goes intro the "C" shaped groove. Hope this helps :)

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Very surprised when I read in the manual that the break in is 100 miles. I did that in the first 3 days and did vary RPM. I did a few 8k shifts after about 300 miles. It's really odd to hear that engine spin that fast. In my C7 the engine would be in pieces all over the group at 8k RPM.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
After reading about the clutch spring removal I took mine out and drove it while the Steeda was on the way. I like it so much better with no spring the Steeda is taking room on my reloading bench. PM me your address if you want it.

Sammy
Appreciate the offer friend! However, once I factor in the exchange rate to CAD and then shipping to the far reaches of eastern Canada it would most likely be more than just ordering it from the Canadian Steeda website; $23.99 with free shipping. Thanks though man!

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Very surprised when I read in the manual that the break in is 100 miles. I did that in the first 3 days and did vary RPM. I did a few 8k shifts after about 300 miles. It's really odd to hear that engine spin that fast. In my C7 the engine would be in pieces all over the group at 8k RPM.
Only 100 miles? :eyebulge:

Dealer told my father to drive his C7 however he wanted, said there was no break in period haha I assumed Ford would be a little more cautious with an engine like this with forged internals and the like.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Only 100 miles? :eyebulge:

Dealer told my father to drive his C7 however he wanted, said there was no break in period haha I assumed Ford would be a little more cautious with an engine like this with forged internals and the like.

C7 have those break in lines at the RPM Guage, go to the 1:20 mark of this video

[ame]
Sponsored