Sponsored

GT350R - Aftermerket Wheel Lug Nut Solution

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
I like many have been looking for a solution for some time. As I switch back and forth from the OEM wheels to my aftermarket wheels quite often, I use an impact gun when possible. The OEM R lugs are terrible and are ruined after 1 or 2 times with an impact gun. Will these hold up to a gun? If so I’m definitely interested. Also do you have an idea of what cost might be?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Just a suggestion - never use an impact gun to install lug nuts. Everyone should erase from their mind what typical shops do to get the job done rapidly. Race teams do it because they have seconds to change wheels/tires and time out certain hardware very quickly.

Using an impact gun means not obtaining the factory recommended torque value and damages studs and nuts in short order. Spend the time to do it right and do it by hand and with a torque wrench.

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
Just a suggestion - never use an impact gun to install lug nuts. Everyone should erase from their mind what typical shops do to get the job done rapidly. Race teams do it because they have seconds to change wheels/tires and time out certain hardware very quickly.

Using an impact gun means not obtaining the factory recommended torque value and damages studs and nuts in short order. Spend the time to do it right and do it by hand and with a torque wrench.
I do take my car to the track which requires me to change wheels fairly often before, after, and while at the track. When you have only minutes between sessions and many other things to do as well, the gun can really be a great time and energy saver, which is why I want some higher quality hardened lugs. Of course when finished, I use a torque wrench to torque to spec.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I use an impact gun all the time - when I take the wheels off, I break the nuts loose with a breaker bar and spin them off with the impact. Then when I'm putting the wheels back on, I spin the nuts on with the impact to seat them, then tighten them the last half-turn or so with the torque wrench.

The only reason I don't just use a torque stick (I have a full set) with the impact and call it a day, is that the impact damages the finish on the nuts even when they're not over-torqued.

Sponsored

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have all the lug nuts built. Dropping them off for heat treatment and coating today. Will do one batch in a black zinc and the other in a nickel or similar. Maybe even a satin chrome if available.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have all the lug nuts built. Dropping them off for heat treatment and coating today. Will do one batch in a black zinc and the other in a nickel or similar. Maybe even a satin chrome if available.
Black zinc for me! Awesome!

jaRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R- Avalanche Gray with Black Stripes
50, put me down for a set

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Sponsored

Gray Area GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
Put me in for a set. Rolled ends. I assume these will work on the non-R version?

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Put me in for a set. Rolled ends. I assume these will work on the non-R version?
These will work on the non-R version as well, but I will be releasing a set specific for the standard GT350 here soon.

I have to advise you that the measurements on these lug nuts are based off our Signature Wheels with the drop cup center. Not 100% sure how they will match up on other brand wheels, and they will need to be built to accept the OEM sized lug nuts.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

I'm down for a set in black zinc. Great effort T!

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
*excuse the sideways photos. On vacation and phone has limited ability*

Here is an update for everyone. It has been a long process from concept to market on these lug nuts. I have learned a lot along the way, and really give kudos to those guys designing custom parts to bring to market. It’s not easy, and you definitely need good people to help along the way. MAJOR thanks go to George at MGW, Tob at Calipefexion, Byington Steel Heat Treatment, and Alta Plating.

Design concept and focus
The inspiration for this part came from enthusiasts desires. Owners wanted a setup to allow the GT350R converting to aftermarket wheels to have a clean lug nut setup. The extended front studs on the R are too long for any traditional lug nut that isn’t open ended, and none are long enough to cover the length of the stud. Measurements here were based off our Signature Wheel with a drop cup center. Lug nuts are designed to work with the OEM 60 degree conical seat and OEM sized lug nut hole diameter.

Although I pride myself on the lightweight design of our Signature Wheel, that wasn’t the main focus here. Form and function working together have their compromises. I was unaware that the front and rear studs on the R are longer than the standard GT350. In order to make sure these were the exact length needed for the studs front and rear on the R, weight was increased. Although slightly heavier than your OEM lug, when used in conjunction with our wheels the weight savings are still amazing. I will provide exact weights after I get them
Back from coating.

405_ECDFF_B616_458_A_B5_CF_63_BAF1_BCABCE.jpg

1_AB1_AAC6_6_FD5_4211_AF4_F_CA03_F81_A8554.jpg

Materials & Engineering
Each lug nut is designed and CNC cut from Carbon Steel 4140 at MGW in Georgia. After production the lug nuts are heat treated to the requisite Rockwell prior to coating. You can see the blue-ish tint to them from the heating process. Rolled ends were used to allow a socket to go over the lug nut without dinging up the edges, and for aesthetics. The hex end allows you to use a standard socket to engage the lug nut, without needing a specialty deep socket. It will also protect the inner recess of the lug nut hole from marring when tightening.

Lastly the carbon steel and heat treating process provide a strong enough material to withstand the OEM torque figures without worry of fatigue. These are quite robust, and after holding cheaper aftermarket lug nuts in my hand, I really doubt they would pass the test. Even if you aren’t using these, I encourage everyone to be sure they are buying quality lug nuts for their cars.

AEC219_EA_9109_4_CE8_8_B33_95_D0720_A0676.jpg

6_E664_C51_8_E34_4_F92_B8_A8_FC4_A401747_E9.jpg

Black Oxide Coating
There are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to coating options. This was another area of valuable learning. Because he lug nuts are open ended the coating needs to be evenly applied to the interior and exterior of the part. Both for corrosion resistance and consistency. The chemical process used in the black oxide coating interacts with the metal and penetrates it for an even look. The chemical process also avoids creating multiple layers of build up that can affect torque values. It can also be treated again in the future without having to removal several layers of buildup material like chrome. If scratched, it will also not flake off and compromise other areas like chrome or powder coating.

I have learned that no coating is impervious to damage. Care and maintenance is key to keeping them looking great for the long term. Removal and installation with a socket/wrench is the ONLY way to go, and air tools should be avoided. Keeping them oiled with WD40 will also provide an extra layer of protection and keep the gloss like finish.

88_B77_F05_7_EAC_4_C87_BCDE_C5_DF4_EC3_F753.png

37_DE2_B14_BC0_E_45_C7_8_C6_E_D9_BBCC9_A5_F50.png

8_C3_AB93_A_2_C32_4_A98_9303_ED70_D4_CCD0_A4.png

E3_D04744_01_CA_426_D_8_C16_AACA98_CA7462.png

9_B7_FBFC0_0_E89_4822_8743_F23_EA55173_F6.png

F843_C0_B3_D484_4522_AF0_D_4_B9_E87_E026_E9.png

Final products
I had one test piece media blasted to show how the black oxide could have a matte finish. For the middle ground of show/stealth the gloss-like black oxide coating will be used. There will only be 10 sets available for the initial run. Building bespoke parts are not cheap however. I can’t directly list pricing in this thread due to forum rules, so this is information only. Just as a ball park they will be more than $255 but less than $265.

I will start a sale thread and shipping these next weekend. Anyone interested let me know so I can plan the next production run accordingly. I will have higher resolution photos of the lug nuts installed next week when I pick up the rest.

8_D4_C0323_EB22_48_E2_A0_A6_1_A5_CA07_E85_FF.jpg

250_A22_E3_B161_43_B2_8_D1_F_6_D6_BEA09_B30_B.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Proud of you T. This is the way you get shit done right.
Sponsored