Sponsored

GT350 will live past 2019 with GT500 engine block!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Forgive my ignorance, but if they go with the new block does that mean the GT350s going forward with them would be CPC? Or can they still retain the FPC in the new blocks as well?
Blocks don't care if its FP or CP. The differences are elsewhere (crank, heads, etc.)
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My read, and I could be wrong is the GT500 and 350 will share a block until end of production this year
I read it a bit differently. It seems to me that the initial 2019 GT350 production that starts in Feb (Job 1) will have the same block that the 2015-2018 had. Once those are used up and the 2020 GT500 goes into production, the GT350 will start getting the new GT500 block. To quote the article, "the GT500’s block will actually make it into the GT350 once it’s in production." The 'it' is the new block, no?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
WOW!!! So my first GT350 on 93 and Borla Atak made 470+RWHP, so how much is that at the crank????? I must have a factory freak :wink: Anyway, a dynamometer is a tool with so many variable parameters that are easily changed to chase HP. Just changing the tire size changes gear ratio there fore affecting hp at the wheels. Take whatever HP numbers you get as a reference not a fact.
No, you simply used a dyno higher than most others. Also using them as reference is what I did. I am fully aware of how dynos work. I have 1 BULLITT dyno to work with, I have multiple GT350's that I took the average of when comparing.

But thanks for assuming.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
No, you simply used a dyno higher than most others. Also using them as reference is what I did. I am fully aware of how dynos work. I have 1 BULLITT dyno to work with, I have multiple GT350's that I took the average of when comparing.

But thanks for assuming.
OH! I didn't assume. I just don't put out numbers as fact. BUT! I still think I have a factory freak, dyno said so:clap::thumbsup::rockon::handsinair::dance:

Last edited:

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
I took this passage from the article, if it’s really going into the GT350, as an indirect statement of cause and fix:
Consequently, the Voodoo block got new, longer bolts for the cylinder heads, new gaskets, additional cooling passages, and different seals.

The simplest answer is usually the right one. Why would they produce 2 versions of essentially the same block (original voodoo vs new predator)? If the 5.2 needed beefing up for the 500 power levels, they would logically just use that block for the voodoo. Just manufacturing efficiency. Nothing else.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

The simplest answer is usually the right one. Why would they produce 2 versions of essentially the same block (original voodoo vs new predator)? If the 5.2 needed beefing up for the 500 power levels, they would logically just use that block for the voodoo. Just manufacturing efficiency. Nothing else.
Seems like a plausible explanation but I still have the X-Files theme ringing through my head lol.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I knew this was gonna come up when I read how many coolers were on the new GT500. :crackup:

At least it looks like Ford learned their lesson on that one.
Yeah, i’m sounding like the dinosaur I am :curse:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I took this passage from the article, if it’s really going into the GT350, as an indirect statement of cause and fix:
Consequently, the Voodoo block got new, longer bolts for the cylinder heads, new gaskets, additional cooling passages, and different seals.

They made 2 blocks for the 03-04 Cobra and Mach1. Even then the 01-04 Aluminum block was known for being able to take well over 600whp.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
They made 2 blocks for the 03-04 Cobra and Mach1. Even then the 01-04 Aluminum block was known for being able to take well over 600whp.
Cast iron block was chosen for the boosted Cobra because of heat dissipation for the heads. That is why there was two blocks.
Not so in this case.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is good news to me. I have been holding off on the GT350 due to all of the reliability issues with the engine. I was literally going to post something in the 350 forum about whether it would be Sacrilegious to eventually put a Coyote 5.0 Motor into the 350 if the FPC turned out to be an inevitable ticking time bomb. The fact that they may be offering a 350 with the non-fpc engine excites me. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the Voodoo engine (i've driven in several) but when I hear guys having oil consumption issues after 2k, 5k, and even 15k of miles i'm steering clear. The base GT500 sounds interesting to me as well... not sure if it's track able though...

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I agree it is good news and it may be enough for me to wait until later in the production cycle to push my order through or wait for a 2020

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This is good news to me. I have been holding off on the GT350 due to all of the reliability issues with the engine. I was literally going to post something in the 350 forum about whether it would be Sacrilegious to eventually put a Coyote 5.0 Motor into the 350 if the FPC turned out to be an inevitable ticking time bomb. The fact that they may be offering a 350 with the non-fpc engine excites me. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the Voodoo engine (i've driven in several) but when I hear guys having oil consumption issues after 2k, 5k, and even 15k of miles i'm steering clear. The base GT500 sounds interesting to me as well... not sure if it's track able though...
You could drop the 5.2 XS motor in there as well if you have too much money and don't want to rebuild/repair the Voodoo.

Regarding the block, I can't recall even one milkshake Voodoo failure, so I don't think the Voodoo has any issue with heads lifting, etc. If the Voodoo and Predator are sharing blocks, I would assume it's a matter of convenience and/or cost. It could also be failure prevention, though. If the original Voodoo block got a blower installed on it with the Predator rotating assembly and then dropped into a GT500 that could cause some issues. Having two different but almost identical blocks around might make it easier to mix them up.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply... i've been watching "rust to riches" on Netflix. That show gives me confidence that anything is possible... as long as have the CASH that is .... :like::crackup: